What's new

Citizen Eco-Drive Watches

I love the Citizen designs.

I would say they are high-end from the perspective of anything I would actually buy; however, in the overall scheme of things, there are much more expensive watches out there, so probably they are more middle-end (?)

I have a citizen eco-drive I bought in early 2004 and I don't wear it much, but I recently took it out and it isn't keeping proper time. It will keep time for a little while after it charges, but then the second hand just sort of rocks back and forth in one spot... I need to find out if it's still under warranty.

I would categorize them as middle to lower level watches. Some gents consider them lower level but I think they are very reliable and well made.

I love the Citizen designs.

I would say they are high-end from the perspective of anything I would actually buy; however, in the overall scheme of things, there are much more expensive watches out there, so probably they are more middle-end (?)

+1. Depends on what method you use to determine the value of a watch.

I have worn one for nearly five years now and can't find a fault.. they are a good watch. I would say they are about right for their price. I got mine on e-bay for $75 and that makes it a steal.

I have a citizen eco-drive I bought in early 2004 and I don't wear it much, but I recently took it out and it isn't keeping proper time. It will keep time for a little while after it charges, but then the second hand just sort of rocks back and forth in one spot... I need to find out if it's still under warranty.

When the second hand does that on an analogue quartz watch, it usually means the battery's almost dead. I've had one of these Citizens for several years and mine did that when it had been in a drawer for a while.

Easily fixed, just leave it on a window ledge facing the sun for a day or two to get well charged up again.

Gareth

When the second hand does that on an analogue quartz watch, it usually means the battery's almost dead. I've had one of these Citizens for several years and mine did that when it had been in a drawer for a while.

Easily fixed, just leave it on a window ledge facing the sun for a day or two to get well charged up again.

Gareth

Thanks I'll leave it there for awhile then... I'd previously left it in the window for several hours - on several occasions. I'll leave it longer and see if it that solves the problem.

I think they are a very nice watch for the money. Most of my watches are automatic or handwind, so it's nice to have a few that you can just grab and go. My SS Ecozilla has been a great beater
proxy.php

They are decent, I suppose. Most any automatic needs to be kept on a winder if you don't wear it daily. Otherwise, you may lose time. I have several automatics and have to do this.

I do think they're overpriced. So are the Kinetics. I got mine used for $75. No way I would've gave $430 for it new.

I've worn one almost everyday for over seven years. It was a high school graduation from my parents. It runs great, its sturdy, and hasn't missed a beat other than the one time I accidently dropped it and it had to be repaired. All things considered, I think they're great watches.

I have owned two - I gave the first one to my son when I bought the second one eight years later - and would buy another without hesitating. They are the lowest maintenance watches in the world. Most of them can be found from around $99.00 - $399.99. Some are very stylish and I would consider them at or near the very top of the midpack. My dressiest watches have automatic movements, but my only choice in a quartz movement are the Ecodrives.

I had one and wore it about 8 months and then decided to wear another watch. Well, the Eco-Drive discharged and no amount of setting it in the sun would revive it. The store wouldn't honor the warranty. It was a great watch when it was running, very accurate and it really looked good.

In the grand spectrum of horology, lower end. However, if you want a watch that is not too much money but will last, it does a good job.

im poor see? so to me it is a very expensive, "high end" watch. now on the other hand, i adhere to the if it is worth it, i will spend the money idea. my citizen was purchased new for 135. 2 years later of almost everyday utilitarian service (and i am rough. i wrote that correctly btw, not ruff on things or around the edges, just rough :D). it has hung together and functions beautifully. oh, and it looks nice too. not flashy, but not low end either. tis a dfw.

The Eco-Drive technology is very reliable and works great.

I've never owned a Citizen watch myself, I think a lot of those Eco-Drive models are way too busy, not my style, but they are definitely very good quality.

High or low end is relative. High end in the whole scheme of things might mean Rolex or Breitling watches, but 95% of consumers can't afford to spend thousands on a watch and so it isn't really in the picture. And with those kinds of watches, the huge price tag isn't going towards extra functional quality over more affordable watches.

For the average consumer, I'd say there are a lot of Eco-Drive models that are pretty high end. You can spend $600, $700 on some of them, but it varies.

I do kind of agree though that Citizen watches are overpriced. I think the best price to quality ratio comes from Japanese brands like Seiko or Orient. I bought an automatic Orient Rolex submariner style watch for $120 three years ago or so, and it keeps incredible time, losing maybe a second or two a day, looks great, the finish is very good. Seiko makes watches from $30 all the way up to thousands and thousands, so they have one for everybody.

I agree if you look at the whole spectrum of watches the idea of high end or mid or low is based on price. Mid usually are watches priced from around a grand to about 3 grand. So based on that the ecodrive is strictly low end. Of course that has nothing to do with how accurate the watch is or the finishing. The best bargins in watches are in the low end.

I think they are a very nice watch for the money. Most of my watches are automatic or handwind, so it's nice to have a few that you can just grab and go. My SS Ecozilla has been a great beater
proxy.php

Most of the models don't do much for me, but that SS Ecozilla is very cool!

Dave

Top Bottom