What's new

Cigar to go with a nice Scotch?

I'm looking for some really smooth cigars to pair with Johnny Walker Gold Label Reserve. The Scotch is sweet, fresh, and not too smoky for a JW product and would like to find a nice easygoing cigar with which to pair it. I am a complete cigar novice, yet want something super smooth that I can smoke with a friend, who is also a cigar novice. We're lightweights, so I'm guessing we won't be able to smoke for more than 10 minutes or so before it's too much. Any sized cigar is fine, we're not set on a ring size or length or anything. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
10 minutes? Cigarillos might be more up your alley. A cigar is gonna last about 45 - 1.5 hours. Of course you can let it go out and light it up again later on. But I’ve never had good luck with that, in my experience they always tasted differently. Plus you really shouldn’t put them back in the humidor to save for later.

I don’t know anything that would pair well with the Scotch since I’ve never had it. If you think you will only last 10 minutes visit your local shop, tell the employee you are looking for a good inexpensive mild cigar for a novice. They will set you in the right direction. This way you get the affect and taste of a real cigar without the wallet crying if you toss it after 10 minutes.

I’m sure some folks will come along here with a good Johnny Walker / Cigar paring too.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Since you’re looking for something on the milder side, smaller size, and won’t break the bank, I’d recommend an Arturo Fuente “It’s a Boy” or “It’s a Girl”. I think these are also the same as the Fuente Brevas Royals. These are quality medium filler cigars by Fuente, 5.5x42 so they won’t be overwhelming, and you can toss them after 10 minutes without feeling bad if that’s all you want. These are priced so you can buy a box and hand them out when you have a baby, but there’s nothing wrong with them and I recommend them to first timers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like my scotch for sure and I like an occassional cigar as well. My own preference scotch wise is Lagavulin 16. Smokey and peaty and complex. My cigar of choice is an Ashton with a maduro wrapper. Given your preference for something smooth like JW Gold I might suggest pairing it with a Macanudo Gold Label. If you are really concerned about not handling smoking the cigar for long, maybe the Crystal is your speed. But if it was me, I'd go for the Tudor. These are both part of the Gold Label line of cigars with the Crystal the smallest and the Tudor being wider and a little longer. They both have a Golden Connecticut Shade wrapper. That and the binder and filler give it a mild flavor. Because of that I'd suggest just going for the gusto and trying the Tudor. Let us know what you ultimately choose to go with and how you like them and how the pairing goes. Pictures are always nice as well.

Last edited:
I'm looking for some really smooth cigars to pair with Johnny Walker Gold Label Reserve. The Scotch is sweet, fresh, and not too smoky for a JW product and would like to find a nice easygoing cigar with which to pair it. I am a complete cigar novice, yet want something super smooth that I can smoke with a friend, who is also a cigar novice. We're lightweights, so I'm guessing we won't be able to smoke for more than 10 minutes or so before it's too much. Any sized cigar is fine, we're not set on a ring size or length or anything. Any suggestions are appreciated!

I only do cigars and scotch when I have a lot of time to sit down.
That's easier to find as I get older.

Beer and cigarettes is for kids; you don't even have sit down for that.

As far as novice lightweight goes, having the extra time is the key.
The easiest way to smoke without feeling smoked out,
is to puff as little as possible without the cigar going out.
That's how I smoke when I'm driving over a hundred miles.

A nice 12 year old Scotch and an Oustanding Maduro! Life doesn't get any better than this unless there's a hot woman waiting for you afterwards! Enjoy the ride!
1597948993541.png
scotch.JPG

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The Tres Petite Corona is a good size. The best ones are not available in the USA.

A great alternative is the Arturo Fuente Hemingway Short Story.

The Tres Petite Corona is a good size. The best ones are not available in the USA.

A great alternative is the Arturo Fuente Hemingway Short Story.

I'm not that talented anymore. After you pass your sixties, things slow way down and I can only accomplish one thing at a time now. A man just has to know his limitations!

Top Bottom