What's new

Chubby 1 vs duke 3 - First Simpson

Gentleman, one question about badger hair.

Is is ok to use it everyday without a rotation? Boars benefit from a little longer drying time, I wonder if that’s the case with badgers.

Any chance damaging the brush that way?

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Gentleman, one question about badger hair.

Is is ok to use it everyday without a rotation? Boars benefit from a little longer drying time, I wonder if that’s the case with badgers.

Any chance damaging the brush that way?
My friend, giving it a day of rest after the day you use it is a wise choice and will certainly prolong its lifespan.

Not necessarily two expensive brushes, Sir. You can get your much desired Chubby 1 Best along with another Best brush placed in a budget price point. What about a Case, a Berkeley 46 or a Colonel X2L?
Exactly what I’m thinking right now.

Do you have a Berkeley? Good overall brush or too tiny?

It’s a 19mm knot If I remember correctly…

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Exactly what I’m thinking right now.

It’s a 19mm knot I remember correctly…
No, but I have a Case. I rarely use it nowadays, but only because I have too many and tend to prefer larger knots, both badgers and synthetics. Otherwise, it's a little gem.

P.S. The Case is one of Mark Watterson's favourite small brushes. :cuppa:

Berkeley 46 is definitely smaller and I find it perfect when there is just a bit of soap left in the jar and I need to get it all out, or if I don't want to make more lather than necessary. It can very well be used daily if that's what you want. I can take a comparison photo together with the Chubby CH2 (sorry, don't have Chubby 1) if you're interested.

No, but I have a Case. I rarely use it nowadays, but only because I have too many and tend to prefer larger knots, both badgers and synthetics. Otherwise, it's a little gem.

P.S. The Case is one of Mark Watterson's favourite small brushes. :cuppa:

I’ll check the case! Thank you sir.

Berkeley 46 is definitely smaller and I find it perfect when there is just a bit of soap left in the jar and I need to get it all out, or if I don't want to make more lather than necessary. It can very well be used daily if that's what you want. I can take a comparison photo together with the Chubby CH2 (sorry, don't have Chubby 1) if you're interested.

I love a good photo, it helps for sure!

Does the 46 bloom nicely or is it more compact?

I love a good photo, it helps for sure!
My opinion on those two brushes:

Chubby 2
1. Knot: it is denser than Barkeley 46, maybe too dense for daily use. It takes so much water and it needs time to completely dry. But the advantage of such a big knot is it absorbs a lot of water, and you will notice the lather "wetness" is more stable, especially if you don't rinse your face between passes. Due to a bigger and denser knot, it's also using a bit more soap.​
Mine is definitely shedding more hairs than my Barkeley 46, although I think every Chubby 2 knot will shed at different rates, so maybe if you get one, yours will not shed as much as mine.​
2. Handle: I am not a huge fan, I cannot grip it as nicely as Barkeley 46, for example. When I use the Chubby 2, I am always afraid it will slip from my fingers when I shake the brush (after I rinsed it with water).​

I would probably recommend a Chubby 2 to someone who's shaving the face and head in the same time, or to someone who's shaving the body.

Barkeley 46
1. Knot: I don't think I noticed a major difference in speed or amount of lather it produces when comparing to Chubby 2. In my experience, it can make and load enough lather to do 3 passes. If you face lather, I think you will apreciate a bigger (and maybe softer) knot. For me, it's too scrubby. Also, when you brush lather on your face (using similar technique like paint brushing), the knot will compact quite a bit; I don't think this is a problem, I am just mentioning so you know.​
The knot dries a lot faster and I think this brush is more suitable for frequent use.​
2. Handle: I like it more than the one on the Chubby 2.​

Although it is the smallest brush I own, I pick the Berkeley 46 more often than my Chubby 2.

I don't know if I missed mentioning something, maybe other members will have additional input or different opinions.

Does the 46 bloom nicely or is it more compact?
I store my brushes in a shelf (after they fully dry) where is not much space left and they are sitting like sardines in a can sometimes, depending how I arrange them. Because of this, the knots are a bit compacted. If you use a brush frequently and store it in a holder, then it will open up maybe another 5mm vertically.

I attached two additional pictures with a few other brushes for comparison. From left to right: Chubby 2, Berkeley 46, Muhle silvertip large, Shavemac silvertip 2 band 22mm knot diameter, Muhle Sophist silvertip large, Mondial 1908 Limited Edition Baxter (23mm knot diameter).

I hope this helps!
IMG_6287.jpegtempImage32gipQ.pngtempImagearVV8a.pngtempImageC6K357.png

My opinion on those two brushes:

Chubby 2
1. Knot: it is denser than Barkeley 46, maybe too dense for daily use. It takes so much water and it needs time to completely dry. But the advantage of such a big knot is it absorbs a lot of water, and you will notice the lather "wetness" is more stable, especially if you don't rinse your face between passes. Due to a bigger and denser knot, it's also using a bit more soap.​
Mine is definitely shedding more hairs than my Barkeley 46, although I think every Chubby 2 knot will shed at different rates, so maybe if you get one, yours will not shed as much as mine.​
2. Handle: I am not a huge fan, I cannot grip it as nicely as Barkeley 46, for example. When I use the Chubby 2, I am always afraid it will slip from my fingers when I shake the brush (after I rinsed it with water).​

I would probably recommend a Chubby 2 to someone who's shaving the face and head in the same time, or to someone who's shaving the body.

Barkeley 46
1. Knot: I don't think I noticed a major difference in speed or amount of lather it produces when comparing to Chubby 2. In my experience, it can make and load enough lather to do 3 passes. If you face lather, I think you will apreciate a bigger (and maybe softer) knot. For me, it's too scrubby. Also, when you brush lather on your face (using similar technique like paint brushing), the knot will compact quite a bit; I don't think this is a problem, I am just mentioning so you know.​
The knot dries a lot faster and I think this brush is more suitable for frequent use.​
2. Handle: I like it more than the one on the Chubby 2.​

Although it is the smallest brush I own, I pick the Berkeley 46 more often than my Chubby 2.

I don't know if I missed mentioning something, maybe other members will have additional input or different opinions.

I store my brushes in a shelf (after they fully dry) where is not much space left and they are sitting like sardines in a can sometimes, depending how I arrange them. Because of this, the knots are a bit compacted. If you use a brush frequently and store it in a holder, then it will open up maybe another 5mm vertically.

I attached two additional pictures with a few other brushes for comparison. From left to right: Chubby 2, Berkeley 46, Muhle silvertip large, Shavemac silvertip 2 band 22mm knot diameter, Muhle Sophist silvertip large, Mondial 1908 Limited Edition Baxter (23mm knot diameter).

I hope this helps!
View attachment 1682185View attachment 1682182View attachment 1682183View attachment 1682184
That’s some great detailed info right there. It helps a lot!

It’s good to compare the size with other brushes also. It gives you a better perspective when put side by side like this.

Thank you for taking the time to post all that sir!

I have owned many Simpson brushes and there is nothing that satisfies like a Chubby. I had a Berkeley, Case, Duke 2and 3, 55, Colonel, and Wee Scot.
Get a Chubby and use it every day for a few weeks. It won’t hurt it. Then if you love it get another one either a different size or hair type. I have two CH2’s one in Best and one in Super. They are different enough to keep it interesting but also very similar in performance. Yes they require a ton of soap and are not the most nimble. But once you put it to your face they are beyond compare.

I have owned many Simpson brushes and there is nothing that satisfies like a Chubby. I had a Berkeley, Case, Duke 2and 3, 55, Colonel, and Wee Scot.
Get a Chubby and use it every day for a few weeks. It won’t hurt it. Then if you love it get another one either a different size or hair type. I have two CH2’s one in Best and one in Super. They are different enough to keep it interesting but also very similar in performance. Yes they require a ton of soap and are not the most nimble. But once you put it to your face they are beyond compare.
Yep, I read that a lot. Only a chubby is a chubby!

Adding a second one in a different hair grade is a nice change to keep it interesting.

Thank you sir!

I've had both and I like the Duke 3 handle better. Now, Ch2 and 3 are different stories. I also agree with the person above who advised consideration of Super grade. Best is good, and sometimes it is close to Super, but sometimes it isn't. I have found Super to be more consistent.

I've had both and I like the Duke 3 handle better. Now, Ch2 and 3 are different stories. I also agree with the person above who advised consideration of Super grade. Best is good, and sometimes it is close to Super, but sometimes it isn't. I have found Super to be more consistent.
Yes that best grade variation is a little worrying.

Maybe @A.E. Simpson 1919 could give me some information on that?

Thank you for your input sir.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I had a Simpson Chubby 1 in best badger and passed it on to my son. It is fantastic for face lathering, plenty for three passes plus. It is plush and full but still badger soft. Just to throw a spanner in the works, maybe two, the Simpson was quite the shedder but is calming down. I realize one brush's issues do not translate to the entire class. I face lather, alternating between a Kent BK2 and BKB2) same brush, one white handle and one black). I love them. They are no longer made but can still be found. They are not as thick and plush as a Chubby 1.

The manchurian is really nice hair. I think super is way overpriced for what it is. I would suggest get Best or pay for Manchurian. Keep away from the 2 band super as I'm convinced the knots aren't made in house.

Top Bottom