What's new

Chronik Razors

Sorry for the late entry regarding these but lately I’ve been busy with Christmas, work and family. I have nothing materially to add to the analyses that have already been posted, I pretty much agree these razors are nothing special. I can only offer a retelling of my experience which lead to these separate examinations and postings.

When I received the first Chronik and I sat down to hone with it I was hoping for it to live up to the expectation of it’s reputation. I was astonished at it’s response to the hone and with regards to the type of edge it took. When I examined the edge under magnification it had chips all the way down the blade. I did my best to correct this and got to a point where I was comfortable trying shave with it. The shave was just awful. The face felt very sore indeed after using this. This thing was just this side of Pakistani!

I immediately began contacting other seasoned straight razor users asking them if they might be interested to take a look at this. I wanted to check myself because perhaps it was my own style or technique that did not permit this razor to take a good edge. I also stipulated that I would not share my opinion with anyone until they’ve had a chance to examine the blade themselves and form their own opinions.

Well, one Chronik turned into several Chroniks and with each one a picture emerged regarding these razors – they had huge variability. Well, they got packaged up and sent out. I was eager to get everyone’s opinion. What ensued was what you’ve read thus far. And sadly, my evaluations seemed to be more or less confirmed with each person that looked at them.

One thing that I did not do and which I should have done is to ask Joel to participate. For that I apologize and I hope that, Joel, you’ll forgive me. I don’t know why I didn’t just ask because doing so would certainly have afforded the opportunity for a more complete and well rounded view of this old line of razors. Joel is certainly an affable guy and I’d love to take a look at his Chronik simply because the cross section that we have now points to a possible wide variation in quality that suggests an upper end equally as spectacular as it’s low end is abysmal - and it’s very plausible that Joel’s is the one piece of data that we need to consider before rendering a final assessment on this old brand.

So Joel, I know it’s a bit late and I’ve been a little thoughtless but if you’re willing I’d like to include you in this and exchange Chroniks. I’d be happy to send you these specimens to get your thoughts on them if you're ok sending yours out to me. What do you think? I’m hoping that such an exchange will increase everyone’s knowledge of these things. I hope we can do it. Thanks for reading and hope to hear from you soon.

Chris

Chris,

The specimens I have seen pop up on ebay recently have looked quite a bit different, and smaller than mine, with much narrower spines, in fact I stated on SRP I didn't think they looked like the correct ones, and weren't worth the $. It very well could be that mine was a rare "non-***" or the like, however back in the days of the yahoo forum, there were 2-3 other fellas who popped up stating they had some that were as exceptional, so lord knows what's up with these. I've got quite a few high end razors, and to date, it's still my finest shaver by a vast margin.

At this point, I'll pass on the exchange, as already Chris Moss has given all the "information" needed and promulgated their tremendously awful quality. Since he has already "solved the case" testing out the three Chroniks (one of which bent, and another not branded Chronik - and none displaying the visual qualities expressed by myself and others who felt they were extraordinary) further discourse at this point seems moot.

Personally, I couldn't be happier, as I'll gladly pick up every one of these "***'" that pop up for cheap on ebay. :biggrin:

Ah, Joel, you're breaking my heart! Oh well, I respect your decision. Enjoy it as it seems like one of a kind.

Thanks for your time and consideration though.

Chris

Joel and all interested

I'd love to hear who are the others who said their Chroniks are exceptional - I'd ask them to give me one to try it out and compare to my shavers.

I also would like to say that the proposed exchange is not moot - with all due respect to Dr. Moss, EL is a separate person, and he is open to the possibility that this Chronik is exceptional. So I think this is a great chance for you, Joel: you test the other Chroniks and EL gets to experience the goodness that you say is yours. Let's be straight here - at this point, obviously there are many people interested in the razor, and all want to hear as much as possible about it. You can even put a condition that you hone the razor and EL just shaves with it (only allow him stropping on leather, for example)

I mean - it's weird that you are working so much to further knowledge about straights - spending time and other resources here buying all kinds of hones, testing razors honed in different ways, buying the obviously overpriced Boker just to test it so that other members don't do the same, etc. - but refuse to have an exchange of razors with a well-meaning, well-respected member to further knowledge about the Chronik

Cheers
Ivo

Joel and all interested

I'd love to hear who are the others who said their Chroniks are exceptional - I'd ask them to give me one to try it out and compare to my shavers.

I also would like to say that the proposed exchange is not moot - with all due respect to Dr. Moss, EL is a separate person, and he is open to the possibility that this Chronik is exceptional. So I think this is a great chance for you, Joel: you test the other Chroniks and EL gets to experience the goodness that you say is yours. Let's be straight here - at this point, obviously there are many people interested in the razor, and all want to hear as much as possible about it. You can even put a condition that you hone the razor and EL just shaves with it (only allow him stropping on leather, for example)

I mean - it's weird that you are working so much to further knowledge about straights - spending time and other resources here buying all kinds of hones, testing razors honed in different ways, buying the obviously overpriced Boker just to test it so that other members don't do the same, etc. - but refuse to have an exchange of razors with a well-meaning, well-respected member to further knowledge about the Chronik

Cheers
Ivo

Ivo,
Seeing as how there have been about 5-6 Chroniks pop up on the bay in the last 5 years, I fail to see how "proving" them as outstanding is going to better the community. What it will do, is further - radically increase the price of them.

Remember, AFTER the test has been "completed" and everyone has panned them and taken very childish pot shots at me, I'm being asked to send off my favorite, and most prized razor as an afterthought. So, I should take my favorite, and most prized razor (and I have quite a few razors) and put it at the mercy of the post office 2X (to ship it there and then back) and then to someone I don't personally know? For what? Why in the world would I do this?

Frankly, I couldn't be happier with their results, as i'll happily purchase every chronik I can find on ebay if they're cheap as even if it took me 20 more to get one this good, it'd be well worth it for me. I have no reason to huff this thing up, i've been offered thousands of dollars for mine, and have refused to sell it (and will not sell it), and I've tried, and own pretty much the best of the best as far as straight razors go... and for me the Chronik reigns supreme, and by a vast margin.

You're very quick to ask, and suggest to others to send you, and other individuals their most expensive and prized razors/brushes, however I don't see you offering up your most prized razors/items as a pass around or for others to try. :rolleyes: Hey - someone recently posted about Plisson HERE, you should send him your prized Horn Handled Plisson HMW for him to try and independently review!

You know what they say about glass houses :wink:

You're very quick to ask, and suggest to others to send you, and other individuals their most expensive and prized razors/brushes, however I don't see you offering up your most prized razors/items as a pass around or for others to try. :rolleyes:

So what you're saying is that if I can talk Ivo into loaning me his uber-rare Japanese hone for an evaluation, then you would be willing to loan me your Chronik?

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
That razor is so special, it turned Joel into a super hero- Bluntman and Chronik.

Ivo,

You're very quick to ask, and suggest to others to send you, and other individuals their most expensive and prized razors/brushes, however I don't see you offering up your most prized razors/items as a pass around or for others to try. :rolleyes: Hey - someone recently posted about Plisson HERE, you should send him your prized Horn Handled Plisson HMW for him to try and independently review!

You know what they say about glass houses :wink:

Joel,

I would not want just anybody using my brush. Brushes are more personal than razors to me. I have never asked someone to send me his most expensive / prized brush to try.

Recently, I sent one of my very best shavers to Shadow to use for a while because he didn't have any and could not afford to buy one. He still has it. I must admit, it did not cost me an arm and a leg (and I am sure same holds true for your Chronik) but it still is a great shaver. It does shave better than my TIPTLE. (Granted, I'm hoping to bring the TIPTLE to such a level eventually)

By the way, these latest Chroniks were not that cheap. One was 400+, the other 200, and the third somewhere over 100, iirc. If we average this to roughly $233 / razor - you are saying that it would be well worth it to you to buy 20 to find the next great one? $4660? Come on, I find this hard to believe.

Cheers
Ivo

Joel,

I would not want just anybody using my brush. Brushes are more personal than razors to me. I have never asked someone to send me his most expensive / prized brush to try.

Recently, I sent one of my very best shavers to Shadow to use for a while because he didn't have any and could not afford to buy one. He still has it. I must admit, it did not cost me an arm and a leg (and I am sure same holds true for your Chronik) but it still is a great shaver. It does shave better than my TIPTLE. (Granted, I'm hoping to bring the TIPTLE to such a level eventually)

By the way, these latest Chroniks were not that cheap. One was 400+, the other 200, and the third somewhere over 100, iirc. If we average this to roughly $233 / razor - you are saying that it would be well worth it to you to buy 20 to find the next great one? $4660? Come on, I find this hard to believe.

Cheers
Ivo

Ivo,
I've been offered $2K for my Chronik.... I politely told the gentleman to pound sand. Offer me $4K, i'll tell you the same. It's my favorite shaver (and I have five figures into razors) and god forbid, if something were to happen to it, unlike your Plisson HMW, it would be irreplaceable. Sending my favorite razor (which to me is priceless) to someone I don't know, when it could be lost in the mail, damaged etc, especially individuals who have have already conducted their tests, and are trying to get me to partake after the fact with "peer pressure" and essentially calling me full of it, is asinine. Trying to goad me into sending out my favorite shaving item isn't going to work, and I'm sure no one here would do it either.

It's personal preference that makes your brush much more personal to you, the same personal preference that makes razors, especially my most prized one so personal to me.

I'll likely take a trip soon, to hang out with Bill Ellis, and if he cares, i'd have no problem bringing it along and letting him shave with it, as there would be no post office involved, and well....... I like him :wink:

Same offer goes to Nick, or John (letterk) as both of them are fellas I know in person, and if they so desire, i'd happily let try next time I see 'em.

Joel

Fair enough - I agree that the Plisson is relatively easy to replace, and it's just my personal choice not to share it. I can understand how you don't want to risk losing or damaging something you prize so much, of course.

Much like you, I would work out something for what I cherish so much only for someone I like, so no surprises there too

I'd love to hear Bill's opinion, if this can be arranged. I have only had one razor from him that he rated 9+/10 and if he says the Chronik is 10/10 or 11/10 I would at least have some point of reference what to expect if / when I decide to buy one, if I am willing to take a gamble like this

On this note, I am sure Michael will be willing to send Bill his Chronik too, to compare 1:1 with yours. I am excited about this opportunity!

Cheers
Ivo

I might be able to make a better razor than a few of you, but in the arena of using them, you guys are most definitely on equal footing. My opinion is no better than anyone else's. Honing/stropping is not rocket science and I'm thinking that most of you are just as good or better at it as I am.

Ivo, you'll have to remind me of the razor you got from me. I only remember giving very few razors a 9+ out of all the razors I have ever sold. One of them, Korndog has with oosic/wood scales and an Army/Navy blade. I'm pretty stingy with 9+'s. I also must say that part of my evaluation includes the look/collectibility of the razor. Unless it was when I was giving separate grades for each quality.

I might be able to make a better razor than a few of you, but in the arena of using them, you guys are most definitely on equal footing. My opinion is no better than anyone else's. Honing/stropping is not rocket science and I'm thinking that most of you are just as good or better at it as I am.

Ivo, you'll have to remind me of the razor you got from me. I only remember giving very few razors a 9+ out of all the razors I have ever sold. One of them, Korndog has with oosic/wood scales and an Army/Navy blade. I'm pretty stingy with 9+'s. I also must say that part of my evaluation includes the look/collectibility of the razor. Unless it was when I was giving separate grades for each quality.

Yes, Bill,

You were giving a number of grades, and this one you said is worthy of any rotation, so I guess you really liked it and it deserved its grade (I only remember the shaving quality grade, not the others). I am tlaking about a Torrey with your custom Ironwood scales (with liners), about 6/8.

You have many more razors than almost all of us here, and you most likely have more straight shaves than most, too - so your opinion must be as good as it gets :smile:

Cheers
Ivo

heh, yeah, I love that razor. It's gonna kill me to send it back, but it's going as soon as I get my Hencks honed...haven't found time to get to the post office, since I'm a full time student working nearly full-time hours.

P.S. Don't worry Ivo, I'm taking real good care of it.

Sometimes my girlfriend gets jealous.

I regularly read the excellent reviews that Joel writes, learn from them and I am both grateful and respectful of his hard work.

I also know that he owns a razor that he believes to be exceptional. He also owns a vintage coticule that is exceptional. He has I noticed just purchased a seven day set of razors that he is ecstatic about and I expect that in the future he will discover some other magic shaving accessory that will give him satisfaction and us something to wonder about or maybe even try.

Joel is enthusiastic about his latest acquisitions. It's the way he is and we all love him for that. At least he shares his feelings openly with us and that is what a forum is all about

Only the mischievous or jealous can not see this.

Joel, I wouldn't let anybody near my best razor. They might cut themselves.
Incidentally, mines better than yours. :biggrin1:

I live in the Bay Area. I'd be happy to go to Joel's place to try the razor and report my experience on the forum. He'd also be welcome to come to my house if he prefers.

Ivo,
Sending my favorite razor (which to me is priceless) to someone I don't know, when it could be lost in the mail, damaged etc, especially individuals who have have already conducted their tests, and are trying to get me to partake after the fact with "peer pressure" and essentially calling me full of it, is asinine. Trying to goad me into sending out my favorite shaving item isn't going to work, and I'm sure no one here would do it either.

I have to agree with Joel on this one... I have an $8.50 e-bay special that is my best shaver and I have never seen another there or anywhere else, and there is no way that razor would ever leave my hands for a test....

Top Bottom