What's new

Christmas PIF for the unemployed - 2013

Some of you may remember the PIF from the last couple of years (see threads here and here) where, inspired by Operation Christmas Child I started a PIF for those unemployed at Christmas. The principle being that while times may be tough at least you can look sharp.

A couple of other members jumped in an helped as well as did some of the vendors - we ended up being able to bless four unemployed members.

So here we go for this year, once again while it is only on a small scale I figured I can at least brighten up one person's Christmas. So here is the

'Have a years shaving on me' Christmas PIF for the unemployed.

The package will contain:

• Vintage Gillette British Aristocrat DeLuxe (#66) Set – the world’s most magnificent razor set according to Gillette (mechanically great, aesthetically worn plating but would be perfect for a later replate) More pics of this set here.
  • Vintage butterscotch brush (cleaned as per this thread and test lathered - works well)
  • 100 Personna 'Blue Labs' DE blades (my current blade of choice)
  • Your choice of a 5.4oz/150g bowl of TOBS Shaving Cream (choose from St James, Sandalwood, Rose, Lemon & Lime, Mr Taylor, Lavender, Eton College, Almond, Avocado, Coconut, or Shaving Shop.
  • If you are married with wife (and children) there will be a little something extra in there as well

All these items will be shipped to your door, hopefully in time for Christmas. The obvious oversight is aftershave or cologne but shipping these by airmail is unfortunately problematic.

This is going to be a PIF built on trust. The rules are as follows but obviously some will be impossible for me to 'police', I'm appealing to your better nature to be honest about these things.

1. Entry is open to any B&B member located anywhere in the world who is unemployed. By this I mean a person who is actively searching for employment but unable to find work (i.e. not a full-time student) or unable to work because of a disability.
  2. If between entering and the draw and win you find work please let me know when I contact you - the winner must be unemployed at that time too.
  3. Enter by posting - 'I'm in' in this thread. If this is too embarrassing PM me and I will post a proxy entry for you. I'm not trying to make people feel bad.
  4. Entries close 5pm AEDT on 30 November (see time in Canberra here). This should allow postage which will arrive before Christmas.
  5. All entries will be assigned a number and a winner chosen by random.org number generation

I realise that the winner may already have some of this stuff and/or you may not like one of the components and/or circumstances may get even tighter and you may want to liquidate what is a collectible vintage Gillette. Once you receive the prize it is yours and you can do with it what you will, use, PIF, sell, whatever. I hope nobody enters to get the stuff and flip it to make a buck - this is up to you though and on your conscience.

If the winner would prefer another razor rather than the Aristocrat DeLuxe we can talk about it and see what I have available at the time.

Other members are more than welcome to join the PIF and offer stuff for other winners. If you have stuff you want to contribute please PM me but please be willing to ship to the winner of your items directly - I'm in Australia and there is not point sending to me to coordinate.

In previous years we have also had people wanting to contribute in cash but this is a little tricky and hard to prove everything is above board - so make a donation to a charity in your local area instead :001_smile

Happy shaving and wishing you a blessed and joyous Christmas!

Last edited:
Not in, But great pif! Beautiful, now that is a razor to quit your day job for... (Disclaimer: I do not recommend quitting your job to enter a pif.)

Last edited:
Mark,
Amazing. This is why I love B&B for members generosity, goodwill. Also if your lucky enough to know Mark via sales, trades or just PM, you'll know what a great guy he is. Well done Mark.:001_smile

Not in...but a fantastic PIF. I'm a newbie to the forum and this is one of the best forum groups I've ever been a part of. Great people!

From the 5th of December I'll qualify for the PIF. Can I be in?

EDIT: thinking twice, I don't need more shaving gear, although you're PIFing a more than amazing kit from which I don't have anything. Let's leave this for another user with more need than me.

What a fantastic gesture! I recently acquired work after being unemployed for a few months, so I know that whoever receives this will be most grateful.

Thanks all for your kind words.

I'm blessed to have a great job as is my wife - so this is really not a great 'cost' to me - I'm just doing a little to help another mate.

I was hoping that 16 posts in without any 'entries' that it may have been redundant but alas no ...

Top Bottom