What's new

Chiseled Face EdPs

Hey all,

So, I was interested in some of these based upon a couple of soap samples I received way back when I started exploring artisan products. I -still- break out my tiny jar of Summer Storm and stand there in the bathroom sniffing it like a weirdo.

I also picked up a bunch of AS samples from CF, but really wasn't able to tell much from them. I've discovered a pretty strong olfactory sensitivity to menthol, and if there's more than a little wisp in something, it's pretty much all I can smell. So, I could kind of get a HINT of the Summer Storm, Sherlock, and Ghost Town Barber scents but for the most part it was drowned out by menthol for me.

But the SS and GTB soaps definite piqued my interest enough to investigate the stronger concentrations -- Anyone tried any of these and able to give a bit of a review? Or, at least, able to sniff 'em out around the menthol in the aftershave versions?

I'm really interested in GTB, Sherlock, and Summer Storm. In soap form, I'd say SS is my favorite, but the notes list makes me think it could dry down more floral and musky than my chemistry is likely to agree with. The soap notes are GREAT, but seem like they'd burn off pretty quickly in an alcohol based fragrance.

As for Sherlock, does the caramel/honey come much to the forefront? I have yet to see a review of Sherlock describing it as sweet, but seeing those sweeter gourmand notes listed give me pause.

As for GTB, it's really a pleasant scent from the soap sample, though maybe trending a bit sweet -- Though from the notes listed I can't quite figure out what would BE sweet in it, hah.

Appreciate any impressions of any of these scents, thanks.

Hoping to hear some Sherlock reviews. It sounds earthy-leathery, which I like, but then I see honey/caramel and think 'Too Sweet'.

Now if I could just pester Muhammad into making an Absinthe & Leather EdT, I'd be set. :D

So,

Got a Summer Storm EdP on the merits of my experience with the soap, and thinking I should've gone with GTB or Sherlock. Now, it's very well-made, and an all-around solid fragrance. However, it leans just a -bit- more floral than the soap scent. I want to say ... jasmine?

Think I'll give it a couple more tries, but might just end up rehoming it.

Picked up the Ghost Town Barber.

Really do like it. Interesting barbershoppy top and heart, then dries down to a nice dry leather. Longevity is in the 'pretty decent' range.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Both the Summer Storm and Ghost Town Barber aftershaves should qualify as EdCs.

Slap that on after shaving and you smell it all day!

As opposed to many "colognes" - 4711, Florida Water etc. which (with glycerin added) are really aftershaves.

AA

Picked up the Ghost Town Barber.

Really do like it. Interesting barbershoppy top and heart, then dries down to a nice dry leather. Longevity is in the 'pretty decent' range.
I bought this lately based on approval ratings from this site. When I read the description about a slight gunpowder scent I did not pay much attention. But I surely do smell it. It’s not my favorite barbershop.

I've ordered aftershave samples of Sherlock, Midnight Stag, and Ghost Town Barber. If I like them, I'll order some cologne in my favorite of the three.

Just got my aftershave samples. Not sure I like Midnight Stag (kind of rubbery-smelling!) or Ghost Town Barber (a little sweet) overmuch. Sherlock seems to be the best and most subtle to my nose. Don't get me wrong, all 3 would be fine as a shave soap or aftershave. But I'm not sure I'd like MS or GTB as an EdP for a big part of the work day.

I recently smelled Dior Fahrenheit for the first time. Not the same as Midnight Stag by any means, but I believe they would stack very well together. Stag AS with the Dior EdT.

Fahrenheit is a revelation.

Just got my aftershave samples. Not sure I like Midnight Stag (kind of rubbery-smelling!) or Ghost Town Barber (a little sweet) overmuch. Sherlock seems to be the best and most subtle to my nose. Don't get me wrong, all 3 would be fine as a shave soap or aftershave. But I'm not sure I'd like MS or GTB as an EdP for a big part of the work day.
After using all 3 for about 10 days: GTB has grown on me. Sherlock seems a bit too subtle. Midnight Stag, well, maybe it would make a good aftershave, but my lady friend Miss Linda, while she likes the other 2, goes "Ewww" when I spritz on a bit of it. Maybe I should keep the AS and only wear it when I have my car worked on . . .?

Top Bottom