What's new

Chirally correct skincare?

Alex, I started this business going on-site here in Manhattan for facials. Rolling a Cadillac of massage tables and Hungarian organic hand-made products into a taxi and conference room was no easy task. The time element and toll is took on my body necessitated a diff approach. I realized after so many intake forms that many men needed a "proper" education in this category and many appreciated help with product selection. They often wound up using their wife or girlfriends products on the sly w/c generally were too "heavy" and so they abandoned everything and many remained dehydrated (externally.) As a good deal of my clients were built face to face, I had more formidable relationships than that which can be built through the medium of a website, and so I carefully chose those clients who I knew would not be reticient about "trying a product in a jar." There is nothing "select" about them other than that I knew they would be more open. I still offer a few products from the Hungarian line (www.eminenceorganics.com) and anyone who was interested can call/email. With regards to your question on switching products, the skin (much like muscle) has a memory and so it's not a bad idea to switch off one month using one product and then on to another and back again the following month. Certain products require 8 wks before showing any results and so sometimes consistency is impt. I don't recommend using too many products in general, as this is one of the main reasons for having sensitive skin and reactions. Having to use a particular suite of products within a given line is nothing more than a marketing gimmick. I started out doing demos for some of the men's lines in dept. stores and know the scripts that they feed their counter people. Hope that helps.

Nicole,
I don't really care what you say Ms. - this sounds like a giant commercial, you are highly combative... and you don't shave your face. We know you are a licensed esthetician.... you've mentioned it already. Coming onto the board, making silly statements, being combative and bullish is only going to accomplish one thing.... people are going to quickly become weary of you, and you are going to form a bad name for your products/company. No other retailer is on the forums in the manner you are - making such bold statements on their products, and being so combative, really it only hurts you, and your business.

I have nothing further to comment on this thread - but Nicole I have received several PM's from forum members in support of my statements, and I feel you are shooting yourself in the foot - so by all means, I gave you a heads up, now I'll step back and let you continue to fire away. :a39:

I have used the MyChelle product line. It is available at many Whole Foods nationwide. This is another "chiral" line and it is good. I won't claim it is "superior" but it is certainly very good. That said, I also have tried every single product within the Zed Labs IntelliGents product line. These too are good but not "superior" in my opinion.

I agree and support Nicole's basic premise on skin care of which wetshaving is a component. Focus on ingredients and formulations not packaging or smell. Like all things in life you have to educate yourself a bit to be able to filter the good from the bad. I find that minimalism in terms of number of products works best. Also, simplicity in terms of ingredients (few not many) is better and using "naturally derived" ingredients works best (no synthetic colors/dyes, no parabens and no fragrance oil, etc). The concept of Chirality has come from the medical/pharmaceutical industry and whether or not it is effective in skincare is still up for debate IMO. As I mentioned before many natural products are "naturally chiral".

In terms of Lev8 as an after shave it is a good product. Whether it is good for you requires a "test drive." In my opinion I prefer using straight Rosehip seed oil as an A/S or CAR's A/S cream which BTW is also available from the producer directly (http://www.naprodis.com). The best "chiral" products I have used (and they're made by Zed Labs) are the Sircuit Skin line (http://www.sircuitskin.com). They are, however, very expensive. Whether or not they are worth it is up to you to decide. You will find that all "chiral" products are not equal. Even products with equivalent ingredient decks from different labels made by the same company can differ in performance.

Just to stir some controversy if you look at the ingredients deck for the traditional shaving creams (Trumper, T and H, etc) they are laden with colorant, synthetic fragrance and parabens. That said they work very well. Also, A/S's like DR Harris A/S milk is also laden with chemicals. But for many it works well. Personally I don't use any of these products because of these ingredients even though they "perform". In many ways I view skincare like nutrition. I can eat processed food or "real" food. Both will provide calories and some nutritional value. In the long run, however, I know that "real" food is better for me.

Chris

joel said:
this sounds like a giant commercial. . .people are going to quickly become weary of you, and you are going to form a bad name for your products/company.

These quotes pretty much sum up my thoughts on this thread, which, mercifully, I have come upon just now.

There's a difference between a forum "member," and someone who says they are trying to "educate" men but is pretty transparently attempting to sell product.

Nicole--you are welcome to post and participate in board discussions, but you may get more credibility if you delete the web link to your company from your signature file, and just post like everyone else.

Joel and Mitch- Joel, I didn't realize that this forum did not welcome anyone who didn't shave their face. I also find it rather comical that you attach the word "combative" and "silly" to me. I have recd SEVERAL ims from forum members as well, apologizing on your behalf! Whether it is due to your "lack of people skills", due to the fact that you're in your "early 20's and right out of school" or due to your "ego trip" per a third member, I'm really not interested. Mitch, I'm sorry that you're of the same sentiment. I have fielded questions (like that coming from Alex) in an honest and sincere manner. If you view my reply as a commercial, so be it. It was not my idea to offer samples to anyone. I don't need to justify my selections, price or philosophy for that matter. It's very easy for a vendor to post about Melanoma awareness and about the sales going on at a particular site. It's another thing to actually offer advice on how to appropriately protect yourself, to distinguish between the diff rays of light and the associated damage that can occur, the true meaning of SPF, to bring to the table the inherent dangers associated with many chemical sunscreens (in addition to the problems with a natural mineral like Titanium Dioxide) to discuss how companies mislead consumers by using the words "organic sunscreen ingredients" and to discuss the current litigation going on with sunscreen manufacturers. That is education and raising awareness. Only then do people have the tools to make informed decisions. I hope to lend a different perspective to skincare/shaving than that which is put forth by the manufacturing giants. I thank you, Chris, for your post which most succinctly echoes my sentiments, which have always been rooted in wellness.

Nicole and fellow members, I think this thread has run it's course. I don't think anything else of substance can be added.

Nicole, I welcome you to B&B and encourage you to become a productive member. Please keep the link to your company on your signature line. Some members may want to contact you with questions about your products.

Men in general are less educated than women about skincare and such. I know what works for me and will continue using products that work. I have tried a few of the chiral products and found them to be about average for my skin type. That is only a personal opinion and observation.

I havent been on this forum in a while but Nicole, this is not the first time a new vendor has been bashed. Ask Sue from St. Charles Shave.

L