What's new

Chip or ding in new razor

I just got a new razor that has a few chips or dings in the edge. It's not really a chip as in a piece of metal has been chewed off, there is a lip to it that's making marks in the strop.

The issue is how big these really are, how much steel would be removed to fix - how much should be expected to be removed from a new razor - and the crux: this is one of these amazingly priced 8/8s that are no longer available 😬

Or maybe I'm just too picky? The more I look the more confused I get; at some angels it looks like it's just a lip, in others it seems to affect the whole bevel area.

It's very difficult to photograf but here are some pictures.

Attachments

• ding1.jpg
    ding1.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 86
  • ding2.jpg
    ding2.jpg
    473.8 KB · Views: 79
Looks like a chip. Can't see much in the 2nd pic.
Should not be there, regardless of blade size.
If it wasn't there when you bought it, then the seller owes you something.
Honing it out will put the edge's apex a little deeper than depth of the chip.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Agree with @Gamma - should not be there but looks like a minor fix. I’d ask for the price of pro honing or a return.

Thanks. I agree there shouldn't be chips in a new razor. My dilemma is if I should return it or if it's still a too good offer to refuse.

Just to clarify, it's a new razor from the factory. And since the Böker 14 Blue is out of stock, I'm leaning to just honing it up and be happy I still got a 99% razor for a fantastic price.

Regardless of the $$ paid, the seller should deliver what they showed and described.
If the seller did not disclose the condition, they owe you something for that.

If it was mine, whether or not I kept it would depend on how the seller responds to a request for a refund.
I tend to not want to keep stuff sold by jerks. There are plenty of fish in the sea.

Böker has offered a full refund and to fix it. I have nothing but good words for their customer support. I will ask if me honing out the chips it will break the warranty.

I suppose there could be something invisible further up the steel that you won't see before you hone it.

I just got a new razor that has a few chips or dings in the edge. It's not really a chip as in a piece of metal has been chewed off, there is a lip to it that's making marks in the strop.

The issue is how big these really are, how much steel would be removed to fix - how much should be expected to be removed from a new razor - and the crux: this is one of these amazingly priced 8/8s that are no longer available 😬

Or maybe I'm just too picky? The more I look the more confused I get; at some angels it looks like it's just a lip, in others it seems to affect the whole bevel area.

It's very difficult to photograf but here are some pictures.
Just send it to me and I will match Böker's offer;)
I have had allot of razors from both TI and böker that had defects like this.
I don't fuss over it, because they usually need a proper bevel reset to get a good bevel, and to get to solid steel.

Boker does have good customer service. They have often gone above and beyond to protect their reputation.
Someone else, on this board I think maybe, recently had a not too different experience. Same handling of the situation too.

It's not fussing. It's called doing the right thing the right way. If I buy a new shirt from LL Bean, and it arrives with a pull or a broken stitch in a hem, I call to tell them and ask them do something about it. They always do. Sure I could sew it myself. But that's not what I paid for and that is not why I shop there.

There is a possibility that whatever dinged the edge could possibly have compromised the steel at the apex of the chip.
Probably not. But it is remotely possible.

There is at least one brand that voids their warranty if you hone the blade. I would not be surprised if Boker was the same way.
Me, I would send it to them and get the royal treatment.
That's the kind of service I expect when I pay good money for nice things.

Just to clarify, it's a new razor from the factory. And since the Böker 14 Blue is out of stock, I'm leaning to just honing it up and be happy I still got a 99% razor for a fantastic price.
Since you will probably just get a refund, and it's hard to know when they will be making more of these, I would just hone it.
The grind is quite thin, and the bevel is small, so it shouldn't take much work.
If Böker offers to take it back to fix it, and gives a discount for it, that might also be a solution.

There is a possibility that whatever dinged the edge could possibly have compromised the steel at the apex of the chip.
Probably not. But it is remotely possible.

There is at least one brand that voids their warranty if you hone the blade. I would not be surprised if Boker was the same way.
Me, I would send it to them and get the royal treatment.
That's the kind of service I expect when I pay good money for nice things.
Yes that's what I'm thinking too, that there could be something one can't see, and then you end up with a razor they won't touch since now the warranty is void.

They've confirm that the warranty will be void.

Yes that's what I'm thinking too, that there could be something one can't see, and then you end up with a razor they won't touch since now the warranty is void.

All my razors from Böker, TI and Dovo have looked like this. See included edge inspection.
Chips and large burrs is unfortunately not an exception.
If you look close at your edge you have other areas with chipping as well, which i quite normal for a factory edge.

The ding is however probably a result of poor handling at the factory. Some of it might actually align some with stropping, but no matter what you do, even if you did not have the ding you would need to hone it.

The steel damage caused by coarse factory grinding/honing usually result in a poor steel condition. All my new razor have always improved after one or two honing progressions.

If you are sending it back i would be happy to buy it from you:) My order was canceled, and i was not given a date for when/if they were going to be back in stock.

Last edited:
Modern mass production razors do not offer the craftsmanship and pride that some vintage makers provided. It seems that today profit comes before quality. And quality control is not what it should be. I have paid a good price for a new Wacker and a new TI and they both needed much work.

So now I only buy vintage, save a lot of money and I get a better razor.

I figured the warranty would be void but it pays to ask.
Other than the obvious, the ding is most likely innocuous, but steel can do weird stuff sometimes. Every instance is unique so what happens with one blade might not be what happens with another.

I've purchased a fair number of gear from Boker over the years, never had an issue but I know that if I did they'd stand behind it. Some re-sellers won't though....which is sad and I won't buy from people like that.

There is a French youtube content creator who does allot a honing videos. He recently had a Böker razor similar to one I have. He honed it a few times and couldn’t get a good edge on it.
He sent it to Böker, and they confirmed that there was an issue with the steel. He got a new one that didn't have any issues. So, even if a razor is honed, providing there is a defect in the steel, they will still stand by their product.

There is a French youtube content creator who does allot a honing videos. He recently had a Böker razor similar to one I have. He honed it a few times and couldn’t get a good edge on it.
He sent it to Böker, and they confirmed that there was an issue with the steel. He got a new one that didn't have any issues. So, even if a razor is honed, providing there is a defect in the steel, they will still stand by their product.
To be honest, he could have done a better job honing that razor. From type of strokes, amount of work at each stage and so on, a lot of things could have been done differently. When your edge after a "full progression" looks pretty rough (unfortunately, image quality is crap), then you can't ask much from that edge. After a second "progression" and a shave, he mentioned the edge was better than the first time.

I am surprised Boker took it back though.

After 1st progression, before shaving:
Screenshot 2023-11-23 at 19.23.54.png
Screenshot 2023-11-23 at 19.18.52.png

Screenshot 2023-11-23 at 19.25.21.png

Screenshot 2023-11-23 at 19.32.07.png

After 2nd progression, before shaving:
Screenshot 2023-11-23 at 19.37.02.png

Top Bottom