What's new

Chinese 12K vs. Naniwa Super Stone 12K

I think I'll get a Naniwa 12k in the near future (I have 3 antiques to restore and I'm sure I'll find more), but for now I'm glad I have the C12K. Focusing on doing 100+ laps per razor has really taught me how to hone in terms of muscle memory.

And I have to disagree-- I get drag feedback from the C12K. Problem is, it is spaced out over such a long period it is hard to tell.

I think I'll get a Naniwa 12k in the near future (I have 3 antiques to restore and I'm sure I'll find more), but for now I'm glad I have the C12K. Focusing on doing 100+ laps per razor has really taught me how to hone in terms of muscle memory.

And I have to disagree-- I get drag feedback from the C12K. Problem is, it is spaced out over such a long period it is hard to tell.

That's interesting about developing muscle memory with the C12K.

Muscle memory is only good if you are making good strokes. Sometimes, on a hone that slow, you can't tell if your strokes are good or bad. Not meant to be a negative point, just something to keep in mind. I do agree it can be good practice.

Luckily I was getting in quality strokes, as my razors seem to work as well as those I've had honed by others! Good point though.

You also have to keep in mind a few other things about the Chinese stone..

1. it isn't 12k
2. they all are not the same
3. one person saying he gets good results, really doesn't mean you are going to

As with all natural stones there is variance between them, so when someone says "Their" hone gives the best , smoothest edge in the entire world, it isn't that you are calling them a liar, but unless you buy "that stone" from them, you will never know if it is the stone or your honing, if you don't get the same results......

Natural is after all, natural....

I hear people saying that the Chinese stone isn't really 12k. I understand that natural stones have quite a bit of variation. But if you were to compare it to a known synthetic, what would you say it cuts like? Or roughly what range do they fall into? ~10K.....~8K?

I hear people saying that the Chinese stone isn't really 12k. I understand that natural stones have quite a bit of variation. But if you were to compare it to a known synthetic, what would you say it cuts like? Or roughly what range do they fall into? ~10K.....~8K?

The number I've seen batted about is 10k. (don't quote me on that... no first hand experience.)
Since I take everything I reasonbly can with a grain of salt , I'd guess that 12k would just be a marketing scheme.. like, once, one stone out of one quarry was really 12k, so they call all of 'em that... The Chinese are masters of hyperbole...

I don't know anything about the Naniwas and I usually look down my nose at the C12K but, because I had to teach someone how to use it today yesterday I honed up a Mastro Livi with a Norton 4K/8K and finished it on the C12K. I have to admit the results were pretty damn good.

Top Bottom