What's new

Chili Oil - YUM!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Oh, baby. I just put some of this stuff on some pulled pork, just a drizzle on some plain pulled pork on a saltine.

Oh, baby.

I was inspired by this thread and made an impromptu homage to Hong Kong XO sauce. I didn't have a chance to get dried shrimp and scallops as well as Chinese ham (that will be hard to find but I wonder if prosciutto would do in a pinch and chopped up). I made this with perhaps too much oil, I really wanted 1:1 ratios of chili flakes and oil but the excess oil will be useful. :)

I added in everything by taste so garlic powder (next time I will use mashed caramelised roasted garlic), dried minced onion, some salt, a bit of sugar, and a lot of anchovy paste for that umami kick.

I have to say, I think I kept 'tasting' and I get a nice mild heat /tingle on my lips and it has a nice rich flavour. This will be great on rice, with noodles, and to stir-fry with.

$IMG_20160418_204451.jpg

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Has anyone else tried making some of this stuff? I made another batch, earlier today, and it nearly surprised me about how easy it is. Getting the ingredients together is the toughest part.

And it's so dadgum good. You'll throw rocks at anything in any store.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Try some chili oil on sardines on top of saltines.

Yes sir!

Also on top of fried eggs over corned beef hash (when hatch chiles aren't in season)

Has anyone else tried making some of this stuff? I made another batch, earlier today, and it nearly surprised me about how easy it is. Getting the ingredients together is the toughest part.

And it's so dadgum good. You'll throw rocks at anything in any store.

I love it but wouldn't eat enough to justify the effort and it's just too easy to take home a to-go container from the Chinese restaurant.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I've done somethage like this before, I just used a double boiler. So I won't burn the oil..
When I've done it, burning the oil didn't seem to be a problem. It's burning the spices that you have to watch out for. If using a double boiler keeps the oil at the perfect temperature, then that's a great way to go about it! I've done alright just setting my burner at about medium, but I admit that I keep checking on it every five minutes or so.

Man, this stuff is good. It makes me want to throw rocks at the stuff that comes from the restaurant.

I should have said spices in it.

I put eveythange into the "double boiler" and let this cook for 3-4 hours.Let cool and run through a coffee filter, then press with potato ricer..I've use this method for my eating oils and medical oils.. Somepeople in the herbal hobby, use a crock pot and let cook for hours on end..

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I made another batch of this stuff, this morning, but I used Korean chili "powder" because that's what I had around here. As you can see below, it's not so much a "powder" as it is more finely ground flakes with seeds separated. As far as I can tell at this point, it's at least as good as when I've made it with Chinese chili flakes. It's a little fruitier with, perhaps, more emphasis on the chilis (probably because I still measured out 3/4 cup of the "powder" which will pack more densely). I just might stick with this version of the recipe.

20190226_084217.jpg
20190226_084840.jpg
20190226_094931.jpg

I know this thread is old, but chili oil is a necessary condiment at my home, absolutely love it. Once your body adjusts to it, the initial side effects mellow :001_tt2:

Top Bottom