What's new

Chili Oil - YUM!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
So, I'm a BIG fan of chili oil. BIG fan, I tell ya. I try to find reasons to use the stuff. However, as much of the stuff as I've consumed over the years, I've never made the stuff. It was about time to fix that. I found a great recipe on The Woks of Life website that I found both fairly easy and quite delicious. Feel free to seek out the website, but I'll warn you that the thing is so full of ads and other doo-dads that it will freeze up my browser. Allow me to reproduce with my comments (in red):

Total Time: 45 minutes (about right, not including cooling time)
Yield: about 2 1/4 cups (also about right--note my comment, below, about pouring over the chili flakes)
Ingredients
1½ cups oil (ideally a vegetable, peanut, or grapeseed oil...light olive oil is fine, but it has a tendency to set in the fridge) (I used sunflower)
5 star anise
1 cinnamon stick, preferably cassia cinnamon
2 bay leaves
3 tablespoons Sichuan peppercorns (used red ones)
¾ cup Asian crushed red pepper flakes (Sichuan chili flakes are the best) (can use Korean, but don't use the "normal" stuff)
1 - 1½ teaspoons salt (to taste) (1 tsp turned out to be a lot; I will trim that back on later batches)
(1 tablespoon of black peppercorns--added after a comment mentioned it and it sounded good)

Heat the oil, star anise, cinnamon stick, bay leaves, and Sichuan peppercorns in a small saucepan over medium high heat. When the oil starts to bubble slightly, turn the heat down to medium. (use the peppercorns as the gauge for this--the cinnamon stick fizzes up like all get out)

Let the oil cook for 30 minutes like this. If you start to see that slight bubbling die down, periodically turn the heat back up to medium-high, then back down to medium if it gets too hot.

When the oil is done cooking, the seeds and pods should be darker in color, but not blackened (that means they burned, which results in subpar chili oil). Let the oil cool for 5 minutes. In a separate heat-proof bowl, measure out the crushed red pepper flakes and salt. (use a bowl that holds AT LEAST 3 cups, as everything will boil up when you pour in the oil)

Remove the aromatics from the oil (poured through a regular strainer directly over the chili flakes). Slowly pour the oil over the chili flakes, and stir well. When completely cooled (about an hour), transfer to a jar, and store in the refrigerator. The oil will keep for up to 6 months when stored this way (always remember to use a clean spoon to dip into the jar!)

This stuff is GOOD! A little toasty, perfect amount of heat, complex spice but not overwhelmed by anything. If you want to adjust the heat, adjust the amount of chili flakes. Sichuan peppercorns are not true peppercorns and do not add heat, so don't adjust those for heat.

Give it a try!!!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Looks good Doak. To be honest I haven't eaten chili oil that much at home. Out at the restaurants yes. At home I reach for sambal or sriracha. I'll have to think on this one though.

Thanks for the recipe...it looks good.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I'm clipping this one out.

I love a little extra hot on my Chinese noodles. I swear that the kind people behind the counter at the Chinese mall take it easy on me because I'm the rare Caucasian eating there. Then when I ask for a little spice they hand me the chili oil and mutter something in Chinese . . . "We get you again round-eye! Try that." At least that's how Alan Wong told me it translates . . . then again his English translation of the dim sum dishes, which always comes just after I've swallowed, is highly suspect. I'll spare you the various anatomical parts mentioned.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I'm clipping this one out.

I love a little extra hot on my Chinese noodles. I swear that the kind people behind the counter at the Chinese mall take it easy on me because I'm the rare Caucasian eating there. Then when I ask for a little spice they hand me the chili oil and mutter something in Chinese . . . "We get you again round-eye! Try that." At least that's how Alan Wong told me it translates . . . then again his English translation of the dim sum dishes, which always comes just after I've swallowed, is highly suspect. I'll spare you the various anatomical parts mentioned.

I could swap your story out with Mexican food restaurants in South Texas. They say something like; "esto es demasiado caliente para el gringo." I say something back like; "don't be so sure....I eat hot sauce just for the hot."

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Do give it a whirl. It'll make you throw rocks at any chili oil you can buy in the store. I just put some on some cheese toast and almost left my wife to run away with the jar.

The toughest part (and it's not all that tough) is pulling together the spices.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I used to infuse oils all of the time, until I found myself with cabinets full of year old oils.

Texlaw, If you don't mind telling, which Asian stores to you go to? I have been many years ago to an Asian grocery on I think Bellaire Blvd. The only one around me is Hong Kong Market. Closest one doesn't have much selection, next closest a little better. I browsed that website a little, no pop ups or ads on my browser, I'm running IE11 and AdBlock Plus.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
[MENTION=109604]redman1[/MENTION], I go to the 99 Ranch Mart (I-10 @ Blalock) more often than not. While Hong Kong Market and some of the other ones on Bellaire still are good, 99 Ranch is pretty spectacular (and clean). I already had some pretty good cassia sticks and star anise, so I don't recall what they had over there, but they have an extensive spice aisle.

Also, for everyone, make sure you get the chili FLAKES, and not the powder.

Rock on

Texlaw I'll have to go there hopefully during the week. I've tried to go to H Mart there at Westview and Blalock on Sunday morning. Won't do that again. I know the chili flakes, I had several pounds at one point. Also I used to work with a bunch of Koreans, Gochugong, Bean Paste, pickled radish, home cooked Korean stuff. Szechwan pepper is a favorite for me.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I'm not sure this batch will see the end of the month.

Any infused oil you use on a regular basis is worth making yourself. It will be cheaper, fresher, and better than anything store bought.

Peppers, garlic, and herbs all work well.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Texlaw I'll have to go there hopefully during the week. I've tried to go to H Mart there at Westview and Blalock on Sunday morning. Won't do that again. I know the chili flakes, I had several pounds at one point. Also I used to work with a bunch of Koreans, Gochugong, Bean Paste, pickled radish, home cooked Korean stuff. Szechwan pepper is a favorite for me.
I like H Mart, but I typically only go there for Korean goods (and lunch). But, yeah, Sunday morning! The whole world is there, man!

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
For the most part these infused oils are best made and consumed while fresh. There are some fairly serious risks of botulism. I've never had a problem and have probably taken more risks this way in my ignorance than I now feel acceptable. Here are some guidelines for safely processing some infused oils.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
For the most part these infused oils are best made and consumed while fresh. There are some fairly serious risks of botulism. I've never had a problem and have probably taken more risks this way in my ignorance than I now feel acceptable. Here are some guidelines for safely processing some infused oils.
You make quite a valid point, and I'm glad you did. Since this particular oil is cooked (even when pouring over the chili flakes) and refrigerated, I'm not concerned about it.

On that note, I've had no trouble it fuss at all with refrigerating this stuff. It stirs up and drizzles just fine out of the fridge. Just don't use an oil that'll set up when cold.

That said, my mind races. How amazing would Sichuan Chili Bacon Grease be?

I might have to find out.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I'm gonna have to work up a cup and a half of bacon grease. There's no way (think Jackie Gleason), NO WAAAAAAAAY that I'll be happy with a half batch, good or bad.

Top Bottom