What's new

Cheapshaver

If you haven’t seen them yet, I suggest you watch the Cheapshaver videos on YouTube. This fella shaves like I do, with vintage or inexpensive equipment without any fuss or flummery. I know some of you don’t appreciate this, but I see the objective of this entire exercise to get a shave superior to cartridge shaving for a fraction of the cost. I preach the gospel of vintage Gillette or Schick to all young shavers as a way out of cartridge slavery

I preach vintage as well. The cost for a vintage Gillette or Schick and 100 blades is less than or equal to a five pack of Gillette Fusion refills that a lot of people are using.

I have gifted 4 people a complete setup for XMAS this year. Three have switched completely but 1 still likes his Harry's razor - still working on that though. 😀

It’s the saving money that draws the crowds in. But it’s the wonderfully pleasant shaves that keeps us in the de camp.

+1! Getting a quality shave that I enjoy!! That’s the point IMO!! :a29: :a29: :a29:

Whether I save a buck or two is secondary. What I object to is spending a fair bit of money on a chore to get a SAS. Avoiding that outcome is precisely why I returned to DE!!

If you haven’t seen them yet, I suggest you watch the Cheapshaver videos on YouTube. This fella shaves like I do, with vintage or inexpensive equipment without any fuss or flummery. I know some of you don’t appreciate this, but I see the objective of this entire exercise to get a shave superior to cartridge shaving for a fraction of the cost. I preach the gospel of vintage Gillette or Schick to all young shavers as a way out of cartridge slavery
old post I know but any idea what happened to him? he has not made any vids in 3 years.I liked his style.

Rainbows are very good blades. Not as sharp as Shark SuperChromes and not as smooth as Lord Platinum; sort of a middle of the road, typical Lord-type blade. They can be had on the Bay for $8/100.

Reactions: ewk
It’s not just young people that use that logic. Many people my age, and many more a generation older, grew up with a waste-not-want-not attitude. My family fixed things, they didn’t replace them. I believe this is important to this day. For one, yes I’m not a fan of the throw away economy. I also think being a good steward of the only earth we have is important as well, and wasting less is obviously a good thing for the environment.

I think young people WANT to waste less but really don’t know how to, honestly. More of us middle aged men and old timers could show them a thing or two, but we‘re too preoccupied with railing against millennials in general, their ways, and their politics.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Sounds like straights would be the way to go with that argument.

With locally or responsibly sourced natural finishing stones and vegan-compliant strops as the icing on the cake.

Most millenials have ZERO patience. So I doubt they'll want to put in the time to learn it.

Everyone has zero patience at some point. This is a win-win. Done right, it’s a good shave. Done wrong, it’s a chance to look more like Danny Trejo in a sanitary environment.

Cheapshaver commented around 6 months ago that he's still alive and will be doing videos again. I certainly hope so. His videos are the only ones I enjoy watching when it comes to shaving related content. No offense to anyone on this forum that has a shaving channel, I just prefer his style and outlook.

If you want to draw young people into DE razors, you need to sell them the idea of saving the environment. Not saving money. :D

You got your marketing wrong here. :D
You can do that. It’s not on my top 500 reasons to not shave with cartridges

I think young people WANT to waste less but really don’t know how to, honestly. More of us middle aged men and old timers could show them a thing or two, but we‘re too preoccupied with railing against millennials in general, their ways, and their politics.
There is a reason why Gillette uses some famous soccer player in their commercials. I really think that most people don't know about DE shaving and if they knew about it they don't know how great the results can be. Maybe if some influencers would get into DE shaving we could see more people getting into it.

It really depends on the culture, most likely some kid with rich parents will "care about the environment" while some poor white kid doesn't. As far as I know, most people from my culture don't give a crap about the environment. It's not a thing in my home country, too much poverty etc so they have to worry about other things. I think the whole environment stuff is a Western thing.

I have no idea why anyone would spend his money on those Fusion or Labs carts which are horrible. I really wonder what the manufacturing costs are for one Labs cartridge. The price they sell them for are insane. I really doubt Gillette will promote DE shaving at all my guess is they make more $$$ on selling those gimmick razors.

Top Bottom