What's new

Changing Horses

Seems that a copious amount of sage advice says that honing without tape is better than with tape. I do know it’s at least simpler. So, I’m thinking that’s the route I’ll follow.
Question: All my razors have been honed with tape for years. Is it alright to just make the switch without having to kill edges, reset bevels, and all that other stuff?

Going from no-tape to tape I don't breadknife. (You are removing steel from edge toward the face.)
Going from tape to no-tape, I breadknife. (You are removing steel from face toward the edge.)
(Just one super light stroke on the lip of a cup.)

I've found that without killing the edge I can't easily tell if I've reached proper apex.
If it were me, I would kill the edge just enough.

I think tape being a bad thing would only happen if you had 1 or 2 razors that you use only and they get a decent amount of wear. So I would stick to not taping your nice razors at least.

xuzxuz advice is what I would suggest though. Can be done without killing edge but you might not know when you have truly set the new bevel ( should not take long)

Yes and yes. Kill the edge very slightly. Thats what I do to verify the edge while I'm working on it on my nail. And then the thumbnail test. Of course there are other tests.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I never "kill" an edge. Absolutely not necessary. If you want to, no big deal. You are only gonna do that once, after all. But I don't do it.

Top Bottom