What's new

Carne Guisada-Heaven on a Tortilla

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Carne Guisada is a dish rooted deep in Texan and Mexican Heritage. It's an old school food that is basically a beef stew. The recipe is similar to the traditional beef stew, that we all know and love, but with a few differences that make it superior. This stuff is so good it will make your beard thicker and your aftershave smell better. Here's my recipe:

$Carne Guisada.jpg

2 pounds of beef shoulder chuck or Tri-tip or sirloin.
1 Tablespoon of cumin
1/2 Tablespoon of Mexican oregano
1/2 teaspoon of your favorite chili powder(optional)
1 large onion finely diced
3 to 4 large cloves of finely diced garlic
1 small red bell pepper finely diced
1 heaping tablespoon of tomato paste
1 small can of tomato sauce
1/4 cup of flour
Vegetable oil
Ceramic coated dutch oven
Cilantro
Salsa
Flour tortilla
Salt & Pepper
2 cans of Chicken or beef broth

Pre-heat oven to 300-325 degrees. Cube meat to 3/4". Heat your dutch oven on stove to very hot. Put in 1-2 tablespoon of oil. Place meat in and don't crowd...sizzling should be heard.This may take 2 to 3 batches. DONT RUSH. DONT STIR AROUND. Let the meat get completely browned on one side then flip over to brown all sides. Remove all meat and place aside in a bowl. Add 1-2 tablespoons of oil back in pot. Throw in onion, pinch of salt and bell pepper. Put in the garlic after the onions and bell peppers are almost soft. Be sure to scrap off all the brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pot(fond). Its where the flavor is. Cook down for 8-10 minutes. When completely soften, add tomato paste and cook till dissolved. Add flour. Stir around till the white of the flour is gone. It should look like a red ball of pasty mess. Add cumin and pinch of chili powder till toast(blooms). Add tomato sauce, oregano, 2 -cans of chicken or beef broth. Adjust the amount of broth as needed. Place all meat in the pot. Liquids should just about cover the meat. I always like to see some poking up. Bring to a boil. Turn off stove and transfer covered dutch oven to the oven. Cook low and slow for 3 to 5 hours. I like to check for thickness every hour. If it is not as thick as you like, make a slurry of corn starch and water and put it in while cooking.

Serve on a TOASTED(toasting keeps it from falling apart) flour tortilla, add a handful of cilantro, your favorite salsa and a squeeze of lime. NO, NO's are cheese and sour cream. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Oh absolutely ... we're not far from a fairly good sized latino area of town, so supplies are easy to come by. Might just make this next weekend!

Was awesome until I saw Cilantro. Im in that % of the population that thinks it tastes like soap. Makes me gag everytime. Still copied it though. Have to make it without it!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Was awesome until I saw Cilantro. Im in that % of the population that thinks it tastes like soap. Makes me gag everytime. Still copied it though. Have to make it without it!

For heavens sake, do I need to pistol whip you? Ok...just shred some Brussels sprouts on it.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Living just a few miles from Mexico I can stop into a 7-eleven (stripes) and get beef guisado tacos for .99. Yup, 99 cents and that's on a just rolled and cooked flour tortilla.
but the ones here at home are the best.
However, I learned to cook from grandmother so nothing is properly measured.
about this much or a pinch or a spoonful or just put it in until I tell u to stop.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Calling DoctorShavegood,
At my nephew's request, the entire family is coming to my house tomorrow.
We are having carne asada and carne guisada, rice, beans, pico de gallo, guacamole, and homemade hot sauce that I grind by hand in the molcajete.
we are also having home made flour and corn tortillas. Not from mix but from scratch.
Now the healing begins.

I hope my carne guisada does yours justice and thanks for your thread that reminded me to make this incredible delight.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Calling DoctorShavegood,
At my nephew's request, the entire family is coming to my house tomorrow.
We are having carne asada and carne guisada, rice, beans, pico de gallo, guacamole, and homemade hot sauce that I grind by hand in the molcajete.
we are also having home made flour and corn tortillas. Not from mix but from scratch.
Now the healing begins.

I hope my carne guisada does yours justice and thanks for your thread that reminded me to make this incredible delight.

Im here brother...glad to you hear you guys are eating it up. Some comfort food is the order of the day. No better way than the Tejas way.

Very similar to carne mechada from Chile. Substitute a little cinnamon for the chili powder and you're in business. It the base for more stews, pasta sauces, and great on its own.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Very similar to carne mechada from Chile. Substitute a little cinnamon for the chili powder and you're in business. It the base for more stews, pasta sauces, and great on its own.

Yeah, the cinnamon sounds interesting. The chili powder for me needs to be very little or none at all. For me the spicy comes from my homemade salsa not so much in the stew.

Top Bottom