What's new

Care of triple milled soaps

Question about proper care of expensive, long lasting soaps like Saponificio Varesino. I bought a puck and placed it in a nice container which is slightly wider than the puck. After I shave, portions of the wet foam fall into the gap between the puck and walls of the container. Is this a potential problem when I put the lid back on in terms of creating moist conditions which may not be good for the soap? Would it be better shred the puck with a grater and then press the pieces into the container so that there is no gap and the soap goes all the way to the sides of the container?
Thanks for the advice

I wouldn't overthink this. In general, I think it's a question of whether or not one needs to air dry a soap after using (and if so, how long). There are different camps out there. With my SV still in the tin, I see a small gap around the edge as well. When I'm done shaving, after a very, very quick rinse of the top, I just tip the tin over, let it drip out for a few seconds (always worried the puck might drop out, but it never has), and put it down on my counter. I put the lid back on anywhere from 6-24 hours afterwards.

I'm not sure, but I think triple-milling might get water/moisture out of the soap. So, it might be just fine with a little bit more moisture hanging around than non-milled soaps. But this is just a guess. Someone else is likely to chime in with better info.

If the gap was large, you could take some shreds off just the top and press them down in the gap. Don't have to shred the whole thing.

But yeah, you would probably be just fine if you didn't do anything.

(Sent from mobile)

Just leave it. I’m 3017ing a Stella Alpina. No matter what I do, it’s ready for a stellar shave the next time.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Assuming the soap is stuck to the container and won't fall out, I generally turn my soap container upside down on a part of the towel while I am done loading and starting to shave. This lets any water drain out before I am done.

I am OCD with my milled pucks!

If a puck has an embossed logo, I load from the butt of the puck so I can retain the logo.

I never bloom, soak, drench with a very wet brush etc.

I load as neatly as possible and wipe off the extra proto lather and let it dry for about half an hour before closing the container.

Since I've been in the eastern US, I've been leaving my Canada soap container open the whole day to dry, covering it up before bed. Back home out west, where it's normally arid, I leave my soaps open for a couple of hours. I do wet the puck each morning by rubbing with bit of water when I put my brush in to soak. This process has worked well for me with hard soaps over the years.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I just give the sides of the soap container a wipe with a cloth when I’m done to get rid of any excess lather. A basic tidy up and put the lid on, works just fine so far.

You could use a can of "Duster" compressed air to gently dry the sides of the soap after use..... Lol just joking.

Like others have said, maybe let it air dry for a while then put lid back on, if it still feels moist air out for longer.

Top Bottom