What's new

Can't believe the price for Fushion blades

Ok, I know we've talked to death the price for new Fusion blades but since I've never actually bought any I didn't give it much thought. Well, today I picked up a four pack of blades to send to a soldier in Iraq (He asked for them). $13.50 for a pack of four blades????:scared: Holy Cow! That's almost $3.50 per blade! Even if you shave with the same cartridge for two weeks that's still more than I pay for Feather blades over the same time period. I know this is where Gillette makes their money but sheesh, how much you gotta make off every man in the free world? Yet another reason I'm glad I discovered DE shaving. :thumbup:

Hey, here in Aus we get slugged $25 per 4. Which, at present, is pretty much $25USD.

Gillettes worst blade ever, IMO. I'd get more manoueverability from a wooden pallet.

I for one, am glad Fusion blades are priced sky high! :w00t: If they were reasonably priced, I might have never ventured into the world of DE shaving! :thumbup1:

I for one, am glad Fusion blades are priced sky high! :w00t: If they were reasonably priced, I might have never ventured into the world of DE shaving! :thumbup1:

I'm pretty certain I wouldn't have either. That first DE shave is quite the leap of faith to those of us who grew up on cartridges and disposable junk.

Then again once you're in the door with promises of ten cent blades, the acquisition disorders set in and blow that whole saving loot thing right out the window. Oh yea, great.. I didn't want to spend $13 on a pack of blades a couple months back. I spent $40 just on old razors in the last three weeks instead. :huh:

Hey, here in Aus we get slugged $25 per 4. Which, at present, is pretty much $25USD.

Gillettes worst blade ever, IMO. I'd get more manoueverability from a wooden pallet.

And that price is on a good day... I've seen them sell at some country IGA's for $29.99 for a 4 pack...!

I'm pretty certain I wouldn't have either. That first DE shave is quite the leap of faith to those of us who grew up on cartridges and disposable junk.

Then again once you're in the door with promises of ten cent blades, the acquisition disorders set in and blow that whole saving loot thing right out the window.
Difference being, you're spending on that stuff because you want to, with cartridges, you have to.

Personally, the Fusion aside, I've never found cartridges junk, I've had years of excellent shaves from them. But the cost is getting ridiculous.

If you used derbys and watch the prices its 10 cents a shave or 70 cents a week and thats if you used a new blade every day. Thats 36.50 a year 2 shaves is easy out of a derby and i have a very coarse beard so figure 18.25 a year.

Don´t argue about Gillette.

I have tried the Protector3 from Wilkinson and I´m very impressed with. Don´t know, how the classic Protector-blades with two blades works. But the triple-blades are fantastic!

And they are cheaper than the Quattro-ones.

In Germany they sell:
-Protector3-blades, pack of 8 pieces > 8,99 EUR
-Protector-blades, pack of 10 pieces > 7,99 EUR

I could shave 20+ times with one blade. The sharpness is fading very slowly and the blade is not going to be agressive, because of the "safety-bars". It´s very very cheap to one shave.

Beard preparation is the same like DE-shaving. A good brush with soap or cream.

I like it very much. Same as DE-shaving.
My recommendation!

Don´t argue about Gillette.

I have tried the Protector3 from Wilkinson and I´m very impressed with. Don´t know, how the classic Protector-blades with two blades works. But the triple-blades are fantastic!

And they are cheaper than the Quattro-ones.

In Germany they sell:
-Protector3-blades, pack of 8 pieces > 8,99 EUR
-Protector-blades, pack of 10 pieces > 7,99 EUR

I could shave 20+ times with one blade. The sharpness is fading very slowly and the blade is not going to be agressive, because of the "safety-bars". It´s very very cheap to one shave.

Beard preparation is the same like DE-shaving. A good brush with soap or cream.

I like it very much. Same as DE-shaving.
My recommendation!

That sounds much better. Comes at about the same cost as DE shaving (for me 5 euro cents a day). But it would mean shaving without my vintage Upsal Solingen razor ...

I dont know if this is happening in the u s but over here in the uk at the moment there seems to be loads of special offers on these blades, for example tesco are doing 8 blades plus the gillette balm for £9.99 or you can get the foam, blades and splash for the same price 8 blades on thier own is around £15, when i used this razor i always did this, look for offers and in the end had around 5 fusions as the razor was always on offer with 4 blades for cheaper than just buying the blades, crazy:glare:

I have done that...

(shaving with the same cartridge for a month)

+1, sometimes 2 or 3 months on the one cartridge. On the other hand, it lasted because I only shaved once every week or two.

I both cringe and laugh at the same time when I see the price of cartridge blades next to the checkout at my local Woolworths.

Difference being, you're spending on that stuff because you want to, with cartridges, you have to.

Personally, the Fusion aside, I've never found cartridges junk, I've had years of excellent shaves from them. But the cost is getting ridiculous.

It was the cost of a new head for an electric razor that sent me to DE shaving two years ago. I think the cost of Fusion blades would have pushed me over the edge too. I was using a disposable of some sort in addition to an electric and hadn't paid much attention to the price.

Send him a Tech and some DE blades as a 'mistake'....

The guy is in Iraq being shot at. I can't imagine trying to learn to wetshave too but...maybe I do have a Tech I'm not using and.....Hmm...

In Australia, Gillette has started showing ads that say it only costs $1 a week to use a fusion.

I'd like to know how they come up with those figures considering the blades cost over $5 each? Does anyone know the source of this claim - they had a reference in the ad in fine print but I didn't catch it.

In Australia, Gillette has started showing ads that say it only costs $1 a week to use a fusion.

I'd like to know how they come up with those figures considering the blades cost over $5 each? Does anyone know the source of this claim - they had a reference in the ad in fine print but I didn't catch it.

They run the same promo here. The claim is figured, based upon an average of all users, including those who infrequently shave. Including those who shave once a week, or a couple times a month really alters the results to their favor. It also allows them to have a disclaimer saying, "results may very".

I think the actual claim says "as low as $1 per week".

Last edited:
Top Bottom