What's new

Can I buy unscented witch hazel, spray an EDT in it, and create custom aftershaves?

Hello all,

New to the forum and DE shaving. I am into fragrances, and like the idea of matching my aftershave to my fragrance. However, not all fragrances are available as an aftershave.

I have been reading that witch hazel makes a great aftershave, even without using a traditional store bought aftershave.

This got me to thinking: Can I buy a generic unscented witch hazel, spritz some fragrance into it (generally an EDT) and create a custom scented aftershave? Are there possible serious downsides to doing this?

Does plan witch hazel have a scent?

If this is possible, how much of the EDT should I add?

Apologies for all of the silly questions, but we all have to start somewhere. :)

Can I buy a generic unscented witch hazel, spritz some fragrance into it (generally an EDT) and create a custom scented aftershave?
I add a drop or two of cologne or Eau de Toilette to a little bit of Nivea aftershave balm to give it a scent for the day. I find it helps with the longevity, often increasing it by a few more hours. The Nivea balms are a very mild scent and don't seem to overpower the colognes. I also purchase the large 400ml barbershop size bottles of Proraso Green Splash and decant into the smaller regular 100ml square Proraso bottle but make a mix of 1/3 witch hazel to 2/3 Proraso. that works fine as well and stretches the cost of the aftershave out a bit. I haven't tried the method you are suggesting, but don't see why it wouldn't work for you. Only die hard fragrance freaks would probably object. Try it and see how it goes and let us know what ya think.

EdT can absolutely be used to “flavor” your homemade aftershaves or witch hazel.

Generally, depending on the strength of the EdT scent, I’d go with about a 50/50 mix or a ratio weighted in favor of the witch hazel, then adjust after testing. Keep the mix small at first, so there is plenty of room for error.

There's a youtube video about diluting an aftershave splash with witch hazel, with 7 part WH to 1 part AS, for barbershop use.
I don't see why it wouldn't work with EDT.
You might have better luck looking for a scent-free(ish) witch hazel in a drug store in the same section as generic remedies such as mercurochrome and glycerin. It may say Hamamelis on the label.

Also check out dilute aftershave - YouTube for some other DIY ideas.https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dilute+aftershave

It should work. You might want to add some glycerin or aloe vera to moisturize slightly. Thayer's WH has a lot of stuff other than just WH in it. I would call it an AS.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Sounds like it should work, I have never done it. If you have a go at it, please report back your findings.

I added unscented witch hazel into my Brut aftershave in 3:2 ratio.

The Brut fragrance is as strong and I now have a milky solution, slowly evolving into milky layer on top and clear layer below when kept still.

Top Bottom