What's new

Can anyone identify this vintage razor?

Hi there B&B family! Hope all is well in these difficult days. If anyone can identify the shorty razor on the right, I’d be much obliged. It may have been modified, although well done so. I gave it eight strokes on my Keen Kutter barber’s hone and a good stropping. Wicked sharp edge! The inscriptions on it read “CMBS Co.,St. Louis, Made In Germany, Banty with an engraving of a Bantam rooster. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
- Sincerely,
Thebestshave

Attachments

• 40676781-B74C-42BF-A13D-1CA19248EC30.png
    40676781-B74C-42BF-A13D-1CA19248EC30.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 43
  • 3D98E8A5-34C4-47B1-821F-31C6A98C174F.jpeg
    3D98E8A5-34C4-47B1-821F-31C6A98C174F.jpeg
    300.5 KB · Views: 41
As the others said, better pictures would be necessary for any type of definitive identification.
My reference books are in storage at the moment or else I would look up CMBS or the rooster logo for you and see if I could get any more info.
I can tell you this in general. The BS of CMBS stands for Barber Supply most likely. There were tons of "Barber Supply" companies and later "Beauty Supply" companies that provided barbers with the supplies of the trade. Barber supply razors were often imported from Germany. They usually had very high quality steel and grinds with cheaper scale materials and less adornment and decoration than razors sold to the general public. They were working tools and I have several that produce excellent shaves even if they aren't flashy. I also notice that the blade length of your specimen is shorter than standard. It could have been sold this way but more likely had a chip on the toe at some point and was repaired by lopping off the end.
Your razor could have been made any time between 1890 and 1930.

Top Bottom