What's new

Can a Surgical Black Improve a Les Lat (Hybrid) Edge?

Debating whether or not to sell off my surgical black if using it would be redundant, but I have a Les Latneuses (hybrid) that puts on an edge sharper then any other coticule edge I've shaved with (and it's not even close) while keeping the signature coticule edge feel on my face. My point of reference is hazy because I remember shaving with edges off of my surgical black ark and the edges being at least just as sharp but less forgiving and not quite as skin friendly. My question is, would using the surgical black ark (with oil) improve an edge coming off of the les lat hybrid or would it be redundant? The edge I get off of my les lat hybrid have been my favorite, just hard to imagine improving upon that or if I'm missing out on an even better edge.

Last edited:
Debating whether or not to sell off my surgical black if using it would be redundant, but I have a Les Latneuses (hybrid) that puts on an edge sharper then any other coticule edge I've shaved with (and it's not even close) while keeping the signature coticule edge feel on my face. My point of reference is hazy because I remember shaving with edges off of my surgical black ark and the edges being at least just as sharp but less forgiving and not quite as skin friendly. My question is, would using the surgical black ark (with oil) improve an edge coming off of the les lat hybrid or would it be redundant?

Only one way to find out, give it a shot. Where is your black Ark from, besides Arkansas LOL

I have an old Burton LL. This can easily compete /replace my translucent black. I have two that is "new" from Ardennes. These will not replace my Arkansas stone. The honing feedback is really not what I look for. The results can probably get better with time.
I think it will depend on what you get.

I like honing with water, so if I had to chose I would keep my Burton LL.

I will gladly buy it from you if you decide to let it go:)

I have an old Burton LL. This can easily compete /replace my translucent black. I have two that is "new" from Ardennes. These will not replace my Arkansas stone. The honing feedback is really not what I look for. The results can probably get better with time.
I think it will depend on what you get.

I like honing with water, so if I had to chose I would keep my Burton LL.

I will gladly buy it from you if you decide to let it go:)
I just might take you up on that offer after I give it a try.

I’m thinking you might see a bit of an improvement with the Dans. Remember, I’m not a fan of the Les Lat I have so my opinion is a little skewed

My experience with well done Arkansas-finished edges is that they are super sharp and 'smart' in the sense that it might seem to only want to cut hair, not skin. In other words, skin/face friendly, not aggressive, not tedious. If I sensed anything other than face loving laser-level keen-ness, I'd think the edge is 'off'.

LL Hybrid is not garnet based, they handle the edge differently, it's a different abrasive, and a different particle size. I found them (older examples) to be extremely capable of putting on top-flight sharpness. Smoothness was never an issue but those edges did not have the same 'coti comfort' that comes off yellow Coticule. Comfy, yes, but not a yellow Coticule edge.
And def different than what comes off a Trans/SB/etc Ark.

From what I have gathered, the 'newish' Les Lats may be be of a different than the older ones in some ways. Plus, they are natural stones and there can always be differences between examples. I don't know your stone, so there's no way for me to judge.

Note, a lot of this 'better best' stuff depends on who is using what, with what. Not everyone senses the same things. Asking if stone A can 'beat' stone B amongst a bunch of people that haven't used either exact stone...hard to say anyone can say for sure one way or another. Guessing is just guessing.

Bottom line though, when all is said and done...
...the only person who can tell you which stone can improve which edge is you.

Top Bottom