What's new

camping

At 44 years old, I've decided to start tent camping with the family. (wife and 7yr old son) We will be starting out at campgrounds in Florida.

I bought a Kodiak Canvas tent model 6014 but since I've never been camping before, I'm looking for recommendations and knowledge. So, any campers here?

http://www.kodiakcanvas.com/6014/

$6014-Flex-Bow-Kodiak-Canvas.jpg

What kind of info are you looking for?
Looks like you have a nice tent to start with, one recommendation is to get good tent stakes/spikes since it seems they give you the cheapest junk with the tent.
Are you camping in an improved campsite with facilities or out in the wilds with none?

If you have never been tent camping before you may want to start off by going to a state park for a day or so. They will have all the amenities you will need (showers, bathrooms, running water, electric, etc).

Here are a few near you

http://www.floridastateparks.org/littletalbotisland/activities.cfm#12

http://www.floridastateparks.org/findapark/district-northeast.cfm

http://gastateparks.org/CrookedRiver

http://gastateparks.org/StephenCFoster

You might want to take a day trip to several to find one you might enjoy.

Personally I like the National Forest campground better but they are a LOT more rustic (no water, vault toilets, etc).

http://www.fs.usda.gov/florida

Start off easy with state parks then move to more rustic campsites. That way you work the family into camping slowly. It is just as much fun sitting around a campfire no matter where you are.

good deal. The most important things to making a pleasant trip when car camping with the family are eating and sleeping. I recommend planning meals thoroughly, down to the utensils. For example canned chilli can be great around a campfire - but not if you forget the opener. An easily portable grill makes meal prep easy. I use a cast Iron hibachi for car camping but most similar sized grills will do and can be set up at the end of a picnic table. Air mattresses are good when not used to sleeping on the ground but for more than a night or two cots are better. Nothing on the floor if the weather turns to get muddy and double as sofas when you need to get shelter so everyone can sit comfortably without any fuss. Take a deck of cards, to keep everybody entertained if the weather goes bad as well. I have some very happy memories of playing war or go fish listening to the rain on the tent roof by a lantern light, that could easily have been a miserable experience with poor planning. A couple of rubber maid containers can be a life saver as well. One for utensils, salt, pepper, coffee stuff, plates, camp pots, etc. And another for dry goods, hot dog buns, bread cereal, chips. Helps to keep organized and nothing get ruined, easy to put away when not in use.

What kind of info are you looking for?
Looks like you have a nice tent to start with, one recommendation is to get good tent stakes/spikes since it seems they give you the cheapest junk with the tent.
Are you camping in an improved campsite with facilities or out in the wilds with none?

Our first trips will be at decent campgrounds with restroom/shower facilities. I could use recommendations on equipment like sleeping bags/ cot or air mattress or just sleep right on the floor. Anything that new campers need to know. And, if anyone has experience at a Florida campground they particularly enjoyed.

Take a day trip to a couple of state parks to look them over before you commit to spending time camping. Many have day passes or if you tell them you just want to look around to see if you want to come back and camp they may just let you drive through and scope it out (I've done this at several near by state parks)

air mattress at a minimum.

Sleeping bags will be too warm this time of year, even light ones.

For summer you can get by with a dreamie

Last edited by a moderator:
I grew up "primitive" camping at East Harbor State Park in Ohio with my family (car/boat camping). You need to plan for activities, and things to keep your family entertained. Sitting around a picnic table playing cards is NOT fun for a week, for a few hours it is fine. My parents have a screen house that we would set up around the picnic table, a Coleman propane stove, a couple of Coleman white gas lanterns (one would be hung in the screen house), "pie maker" for the camp fire (ANY cheese, and ANY jelly go together, try it, barring allergies)...

Weather radio. Seriously! Along with a small battery powered AM/FM radio.

At East Harbor, which is on Lake Erie, large omnivours and predators are not a problem, same with poisonous snakes (not that there are no snakes, just very few) However raccoon, skunk, squirrel, and other medium and small size scavengers ARE a problem. You location in Florida has different concerns, so learn them. On a trip to Yellowstone with a pop-up camper we learned about rattlesnakes, moose, and bear!

Going for a week? Get a 7 day cooler. They keep food cold when properly packed for 7 days, but the cold water counts so don't drain it unless replacing the ice! Giant blocks of ice last longer than cubes, so freeze up some 2/3 full 2 liter pop bottles, they become drinking water from home later (sometimes important).

Entertainment includes fishing, hiking, boating, doing local attractions, "yard" games like horseshoes, table games like cards...try to avoid things that go beep. Really. Plan ahead and learn (and learn if you enjoy) these games with the family before going. Plan to buy or collect firewood at or near the camp, transporting firewood a distance is a no-no as it can move invasives (big problem in Ohio).

Air mattresses are wonderful, even the "pool float" type improve comfort dramatically. Camping pads are better than a plain blanket on the ground. Pack bedding according to the expected weather and terrain, same with clothing. Plan that the weather may be unseasonable for a couple days.

My parents use a foot locker as the camping kitchen. Melamine plates, tin cups, silverware, wire forks for hot dogs and marshmallows, wash basins, dish soap, and dry goods like smore supplies and breakfast cereal.

Plan to carry water for washing, we heated it on a campfire in a galvanized steel basin that might have been for horse feed. Using a stick can allow two people to share the weight.

Lastly set up ALL your equipment at home, inspect it, practice it, and then repack it! Large tents are a pain to repack because you have to fold them neatly, then work all the remaining air out rolling them up. Plan to be able to do this when you get home because rain on the last day IS a problem for storage. If your gear uses long poles get some drop cloths and make some bags for the poles, even if you are just burrito wrapping them and tying.

I left a lot out, and deleted a bunch because I was really getting wordy, and my advice is for car camping so you can have a whole lot of extra stuff.

Remember to have fun!

Phil

I camp a lot... in fact, I'm going out again on Friday and I've been out three times this year so far. Bare site camping is my usual mode. After several years of doing it, you get so you are a minimalist. Packing all that crap is a pain.

The advice to have something to do is important. If you have pets, don't assume they will be fine - pets are hard to manage on a campsite.

My gear for this trip is a small camp stove (a butane one that fits in the palm of your hand), a bag (sleep on top of it if it is warm out - but always bring one - I've been caught in unseasonal cold shifts and was damn glad I had warmth - rainy weather can make things damp, cold and very uncomfortable), a few cans of food, a collapsible set of pots and pans (will fit in a knapsack), water, soda (optional), and booze. A change of underwear is included. Ice and cooler are probably going to make it this time but I've done without and not missed them that much. It is a working trip so staying occupied isn't a problem. Food is secondary to me. With others, it can be the main reason for camping. My total cost for equipment is less than $200 and almost all of it has lasted 6 seasons or more.

I like to shave before I break camp and go home. Just something about being totally grungy and stopping at gas-stations and eateries is abhorrent to me. I also like to brush my teeth in the morning. So - I pack a small kit with a Feather straight and toothbrush/paste. Soap and a towel top it off. If I get really sweaty and stinky, I take a towel bath with a bottle of water and use a small styptic pencil as a deodorant rub.

As I said, everything fits in a knapsack. The tent is optional - I sleep in a truck or in a covered trailer if it is available. If not, then I have a mummy tent that weighs about three pounds which also crams easily onto the knapsack. If I'm in snake country, I may take either a larger tent or stay in the truck - I've done both.

Oh... and a roll of toilet paper and a roll of paper towels. Toilet paper can be optional if you have a small pack of napkins - which also makes the paper towels optional.

SWMBO doesn't go camping... ever... ;-}

My record for staying out like this is two weeks. It rained the first week so I was considering just quitting and going home. The second week it was fine. I knew I was going to be there for a while so I stocked up on water, booze, and food and stored it in my truck.

Compare my mode with my friend's: He shows up in a fifth wheel camper, large BBQ, portable hot tub, popup, a dozen chairs, an ATV, and invites friends out for a night of revelry. Cost of equipment and gear (not consumables) - $100K plus.

Last edited:
I work at an outdoors retailer that dedicates a very large portion of the store to camping equipment of all kinds. It sounds like you've already got a good start with a quality tent. Car camping is relatively uncomplicated, though you'll be sure to learn a lot about it during your first trip.

I'd recommend a sleeping bag for each person, though that's personal preference. As others have stated, you could potentially skip them in the warm weather. For car camping, you don't need a particularly compact sleeping bag and therefore nearly any one will do. Sleeping pads, air mattresses or cots improve comfort but I wouldn't consider them a necessity when it's warm. You, SWMBO or the kids may feel otherwise. Coleman makes a good and relatively inexpensive two burner stove that is easy to use that is also widely available. Roasting marshmallows and making smores with a campfire is almost a requirement. One large cooler with plenty of ice is enough to keep your food cold for a weekend.

I'd recommend bringing plenty of bug spray, which is something that sometimes gets overlooked. Some small first aid kit is helpful as well, especially with a young one running around.

Make sure you bring lights and batteries. If you don't already have a headlamp, I'd strongly encourage you to get one. They make doing anything in the dark much easier, as they keep both of your hands free. Even the inexpensive ones from Wal-Mart and Target will do. As has been said already, you should make sure that you know how to set up and take down the tent before you leave. Large tents, like the one you have, are often far more complicated than smaller tents to set up. It can help greatly to be more familiar with the process before you get there, especially if there's even a remote possibility that you may be setting it up in the dark. When you get home, you want to set the tent out somewhere for a day or so to ensure that it's completely dry. Storing a tent that's even slightly wet will ensure mildew growth.

Often times, the places where one might go car camping have some places where you can do activities. Ponds where you can fish or hiking trails, for example. Most state camping places now have websites where you can find information about the site, which I'd recommend you do. Sites can vary wildly from places that have showers and bathrooms for the guests to use and all sorts of outdoor activities to remote places that require you to hike in. Card or board games are great for the evenings.

I'd recommend bringing plenty of bug spray, which is something that sometimes gets overlooked. Some small first aid kit is helpful as well, especially with a young one running around.

I'd say this is the most important advice for a first camping trip. A decent first aid kit should ALWAYS be in your gear. Doesn't have to be the full EMS bag, but something like this one, and chuck it in the car for the weekend. If your kit doesn't come with one of those bug bite pens, buy one and put it in there. On top of the bug spray, I'd recommend one of those ugly citronella bucket candles that nobody likes but everyone uses cause they WORK.

Good tips so far.

Things to think about - (many have been mentioned, but deserve mentioning again)

Cooking - how do you plan on preparing meals? When we tent camped, we almost always cooked over the fire. Sometimes a pain, and it can take a while to get coals appropriate for cooking, but the food tastes great.

Kitchen utensils. Tongs, long fork, spatula, plates, tableware, seasonings, cast iron skillet, coffee pot for boiling water. Tubs for dish washing.

Games for the kiddos. Dice work great, so do cards.

Chargers for the phones.

Appropriate clothing.

Bug dope AND sunscreen. Sometimes a fogger can help keep your area pest free for a few hours- but don't irritate the neighbors with toxic spray.

Fire starters. And no, charcoal lighter fluid is not appropriate. Ever.

Radio (remember to keep it down though)

We use a large storage tote for hauling our food, keeps it organized and in one place.

Reading material.

Comfortable chairs.

Sporting equipment - fishing poles, Frisbee, etc.

The first few times out you will probably take more than you need. As you define your style of camping you can pare down what you take (or add more!)

Feel free to PM me for more tips. We have camped about 15 nights so far this year, with more on the way.

I love camping. Always great to "rough" it with the family around the fire. Dutch oven, cooler of whatever, smores, I'm down for all of it.

At 44 years old I've gone completely the other way and decided to start light weight backpacking here in the woods of Maine and NH. Minimalist is an understatement. There's something appealing about both ends of the spectrum. Wife and kids want no part of my new found silliness, and that's ok too.

I love camping, I haven't been able to do it since my teens when I was in scouts, but when things get settled here and get out of apartment living it's something I'd like to get back in to. Main reason I just don't have anywhere to store the equipment in 700 sq ft. :lol:

Anyways, try to check out as much of the camp ground as you can, one time I never did when I went to a park to camp and low and behold the site was on gravel, talk about a very uncomfortable night. Personally I preferred sleeping on a cot, but some prefer air mattresses, that choice is really up to you. That tent looks to be a great start in getting the family to go camping.

As far as your equipment goes, it really just depends on what type of camping you do. I've done the minimalist with just a small back pack, but not probably something I'd ever do anymore, not the greatest impression to leave on trying to get a family to enjoy it (most of the time). Most everybody has hit the high points on the standard stuff to bring:

Tent
Sleeping bag (Might not sleep in it if hot weather)
Change of clothes (how many depends on the length)
Extra socks and underwear
Flashlight (i prefer head strap)
Radio (extra batteries)
A couple of trash bags (for trash, but also in case things turn wet) and some extra zip locks ( keep things dry, you're from FL so am I, never know
when those afternoon showers will pop up)
Some type of stove (I would pack a small one even if you are planning on campfire cooking)
A tarp to put under the tent, worst thing about camping is camping wet.
Utensils (Paper and plastic, until you find out you would like to camp more often)
Dutch oven, pot, pan, etc...
Some plastic storage totes
First Aid Kit
Bug repellant
Cell phone (leave it off if you want, but I'd bring one)

List can go on and on, especially if your family enjoys doing it. As far as meals go, that is up to you, I would bring a few can goods or dry goods in case the weather isn't complying. You can go as big as preparing full meals or being as small as a hotdog on a stick. I would also bring some extra money to have on hand in case they have a store for something you forget or don't let you scavenge for firewood (some places make you buy it)

Most importantly HAVE FUN!

Definitely some good advice. One thing I always take with me camping is a gun. I tend to primitive camp more often than not and there tend to be critters (including the 2 legged variety) that I'd rather not have in my camp so I make sure I'm prepared. If I'm out hiking I have a sidearm and while in camp there's that and most likely a rifle and/or shotgun.

Top Bottom