What's new

Calling all coticule/BBW experts

I recently picked out another mystery stone to check and am not sure what it is again. I was thinking maybe BBW, but the stone seems pretty fast for BBW. It is quite fine, leaves a hazy finish on slurry and a near mirror on straight water, but still cuts on straight water and will pull swarf. Does all BBW have the little darker purple "blobs" in it? I only have one stone that is BBW for sure so don't have much basis for comparison. Here's a couple daylight pics, but kind of bleak due to mid winter. The stone is a sort of dull pinkish purple when lapped, and slurry is a light pinkish purple leaning more towards pink as well. The unlapped parts of the stone almost look brownish, and linear sawcuts are visible on the end. The "figure" in the stone is like wood figure and moves into and out of better visibility as the angle of the stone is changed.

$IMG_20150219_120522.jpg$IMG_20150219_120801.jpg
$IMG_20150219_123521.jpg

Last edited:
Nope, no autoslurry. Here's the result with the stone freshly lapped with Atoma 400 and some firm pressure laps with a chisel - straight black swarf, no purple.

$IMG_20150219_130011.jpg

I bought it secondhand here in Indiana. Another thing I just noticed after further cleaning - there are these odd turquoise/green/blue splotches in the side of the stone.

$IMG_20150219_142200.jpg

Does it have poor feedback? Vosgienne is one possibility, but I have been exploring domestic slate candidates for hones like this for a few weeks now.

Can you add some "sawmark" shots ? I also would appreciate a VID to see what happens try and wet when moving the stone in light...

Probably one of those ;-)

proxy.php

Little glassy black specks, glassy green inclusions, sometimes they can almost look like they were hit with a faint dusting of green spray paint in a spot. Extremely aggressive cutting for a finisher.

Sebastian has a better monitor than I do on the pc. It looked like a yellow lake till I looked at it on a higher resolution screen. I tend to leave him to his own devices when I see he's bidding on stuff, though I just realized I beat him by a cent on something else potentially interesting the other day.

I don't really have a very good internet upload, so I don't usually mess with videos. The sawcuts are just straight lines like you'd get from a bandsaw, nothing special, I'll try to add a pic soon. I just honed a razor on the stone and it's definitely a nice finisher. I started on a slurry from a 1200 Atoma and diluted to straight water. The feedback on slurry was actually really nice - very similar to the Nakayama Maruka Kiita I recently posted about. Feedback stayed nice all the way through straight water until the edge was smoothed out, at which point the feel pretty much disappeared. HHT4 to HHT5 after stropping. Scope photos show a very nice straight edge:

Built-in Ring Light:
$Vosgienne Slurry Dilution Carre Ring Light.jpg

Scratch Enhancing Light:
$Vosgienne Slurry Dilution Carre Scratch Light.jpg

Raking Light:
$Vosgienne Slurry Dilution Carre Raking Light.jpg

Edge Light/Focus:
$Vosgienne Slurry Dilution Carre Edge Light.jpg

That is all that matters, really. It's either a vosgienne, or you lucked into a really nice piece of domestic mottled slate is my guess.

Is a Vosgienne the same as a Goldfisch or Fox hone? Looking at photos of those they look awful close to mine also. I notice that your stones are more brown Sebastian, and mine is more reddish.

Here's a shot of the end saw cut. I guess it looks more like a hand saw cut, but definitely looks as though it was a reciprocating type cut. Obviously this is a pretty substantial stone - 7" x 2.5" x 1.5". (180mm x 64mm x 38mm).

$IMG_20150220_000530.jpg

Top Bottom