What's new

caffeine in shave products

It was a fad a while back, like five years ago. I'm surprised there's still some product left on the market.

The cheapest, most basic Barbasol does seem to get alot of the share of store space, despite the fact they've always made different preparations for different skin types and price points.

P&G doesn't use dermatologists to figure out how to use the best ingredients for us. They hire chemists who figure out how to create something slick, protective, and non-irritating to the skin but as cheap as possible to produce. Artisans tend to use higher quality ingredients.

I think @Raissermesser hit the nail on the head. Artisans can cater to niches. If I just can't live without a bacon scented shaving cream, I can easily get it off eBay, for instance. Likewise, if I want a recreation of Hai Karate aftershave, I can get that too. But that doesn't automatically mean artisan products are better in general, or that they necessarily use "higher quality" ingredients.

I shaved with Pacific Rush today.

Caffeine does seem to help tone skin and reduce redness, but Pacific Rush is an average quality shave cream otherwise. It doesn't have the slickness of a good shaving cream or soap, or Barbasol's Skin Conditioner/Extra Moisture. There's no glycerin or oil in the product. The amount of menthol is also on the "too high" side. It's not a gentle wake-up, more like a slap in the face, especially if you are doing two passes with a razor.

I like the Pacific Shave Company's aftershave balm better than Pacific Rush. I'll have to try their shave cream some time. The peppermint is more gentle on the skin and the caffeine has a longer-lasting effect. I like mixing it with other balms, and it even makes a decent moisturizer to perk up your face.

BTW, Barbasol's now discontinued Pacific Rush aftershave balm is also good stuff, though it does contain no caffeine, it's alot more gentle on the skin. The scent is also mild and the menthol effect is not as intense.

Here is my comment on caffeine. Years ago, I had a Russian girlfriend who would put damp tea bags over her closed eyes for several minutes to tighten the skin around her eyes. When I’ve had allergic reactions that caused swelling around the eyes, I’ve used the same trick and can vouch for the anti-inflammatory properties from this technique. I assume caffeine is the active ingredient.

Here is my comment on caffeine. Years ago, I had a Russian girlfriend who would put damp tea bags over her closed eyes for several minutes to tighten the skin around her eyes. When I’ve had allergic reactions that caused swelling around the eyes, I’ve used the same trick and can vouch for the anti-inflammatory properties from this technique. I assume caffeine is the active ingredient.

Could be, but tannins in tea will contribute to that, similar to witch hazel. In fact alot of modern aftershave balms contain green tea extract.

Upon further trial of Pacific Rush shave cream... I think it's a nice scent (reminiscent of a mentholated Acqua di Gio) and the caffeine does help reduce redness, but the shave cream is hampered by the basic Barbasol stearic acid base, and can easily give you a rough, dry shave. Also, the menthol levels are probably excessive if you have sensitive skin.

The balm is much better in terms of performance, but it lacks caffeine. Too bad the scent was discontinued. I am starting to like aquatic scents in the morning. Barbasol should have paired Pacific Rush with better skin conditioning ingredients, it might have garnered the premium price they were seeking.

Pacific Shave Company's products, on the other hand, seem better quality, and are sensitive skin friendly. The peppermint oil has a gentle effect on the skin.

I am starting to notice a pattern here- most shave creams or soaps that lack glycerin are just terrible on my skin. I think you'ld have to be desperately poor to shave with a lather like that. If lots of men are shaving with this stuff, no wonder they hate shaving.

Last edited:
Top Bottom