What's new

Buy blades to keep manufacturer alive, or just ones you like?

Let's say there's several blades you like.

Some of them might have closed up shop or moved production, but you know there's a stash of stock somewhere you could buy in bulk from. Others are chugging along the same as always.

If you were going to buy blades, would you buy up what you like even if it's NOS in some sense, so you can get it while you can? Do you buy to help the actively producing manufacturer stick around? All of the above?

Maybe I'm overthinking it; it's just a question that's been bubbling in the back of my mind lately.

lasta

Blade Biter

Some of them might have closed up shop or moved production, but you know there's a stash of stock somewhere you could buy in bulk from. Others are chugging along the same as always.

If you were going to buy blades, would you buy up what you like even if it's NOS in some sense, so you can get it while you can? Do you buy to help the actively producing manufacturer stick around? All of the above?

Maybe I'm overthinking it; it's just a question that's been bubbling in the back of my mind lately.
I buy it if I like it, old or new.

To be honest, brand loyalty is nice and all, but at the rate of one person's ration of razor blades, it's not going to keep a factory alive.

I like GSBs, but I don't expect PPI to start another run of these just on my behalf.

Ideally you buy what you like and the companies take their cue from the sales numbers and produce more of it. In the case of Russian-made razor blades, the imposed scarcity conditions is not really about profit and loss unfortunately. So to get the word out, consumers have to engage with the companies through letter writing or social media. <shrugs> I find it hard to imagine that the likes of Proctor & Gamble don't already know there is a niche appeal for Russian razor blades.

The few thousand of blades I may buy in my lifetime won't keep a factory open. Pretty much any small volume of a product I buy won't keep any manufacturer alive. The same is true of anything I may choose to boycott not having any effect on them, either.

I always tried to limit the types of blades I used after I got through the phase of trying stuff to find what I liked. Had to go through it again recently.

In the past I would stock up on certain blades I liked if I knew they were going away but never liked to pay feeding frenzy prices. Nowadays I would prefer to mostly stick with blades that I know are going to be available for the foreseeable future.

Buy what you like
If you realy like it, buy it in bulk
Some vlades get worse with factory change, some get better, there will always be a blade that is good for you, brand doesent matter at all

Razor blades are a commodity good. Ideally, the best razor blade for me personally would also be one that is cheap and easily procured. So far, so good, as I haven't really tried a blade that I hate, but that just be due to my lack of experience as a newbie.

Only those I like. But sometime relatively soon I'll have a lifetime supply of blades anyway, so I'll just stop buying.

...Do you buy to help the actively producing manufacturer stick around?...
No, never thought of that. At my level I would not make an impact whatsoever. Like a drop in the ocean.
I don't think my purchases are going to keep a factory open. My blade purchases are predicated on getting the best possible blade for my money.
The above, 100%. Factory stays open if I can get the best possible blade for my money. Competition is what keeps businesses alive. Competition and talent. I believe talent just left St. Petersburg. Oh well...If you really like it, buy it in bulk
Buy what you like
If you really like it, buy it in bulk.
Pretty much what I do.

If your product is really to even half💩 I aint buying from you to keep your head above water, if the product is sort of half to not 💩 but I like it and use it, I will buy it up before, it goes down the gurgular :D

I'm really nice like that, no company cares if i sink or swim :D

I suspect you may be overestimating the powers that us DE shavers in the Western world yield. :biggrin1:
Like others stated, I buy reputable blades that give me the best available performance while taking price into consideration.

Political considerations may come into play for some individuals, but I have little faith that embargoes are an effective tool and I have no illusions about our combined powers as DE blade consumers either. Besides, I like people, Russians or otherwise, and the character of a nation can at times be a lot better than the character of their leader(s). But I digress… :concern:

In case of “true” Russian blades (those originally made for the Russian market, like Rapira, Perma-Sharp, Voskhod, etc.), I doubt that their production will move outside of Russia, but brands that were originally produced outside of Russia (e.g. Nacet, Astra, etc.) and where production then moved there (e.g by P&G) might well move elsewhere.

Besides, when one door closes another one opens and there are always alternatives like Feather, Personna and Bic.

B.

Last edited:
I just bought 5 tucks of Voskhod blades. That should keep them running for 30 seconds more

:c2:

Exactly! DE blade use in the US is so small it might not be measurable.

The market for DE blades is outside of the US and other first world economies that exist on cartridge razors.

Razor blade factories must make millions of blades each year. Even Harry's Razors makes around a billion blades each year.

Evidently, people in most DE blade buying countries still buy their blades by the tuck.

With as popular as blades like Polsilver's were, those buyers had no effect on the manufacturer halting production.

It's doubtful that any purchase of DE blades would even be noticeable on a world scale.

The vast majority of DE blade manufacturers also make disposables and cartridge razors remember.
I doubt the fortunes of any manufacturer lays solely, or even significantly, on the choices of DE shavers.
BIC, for instance makes DE blades despite pioneering the disposable razor in the first place. Lord, Treet, Dorco, Derby, KAI, Feather, Laser, Accutec/Personna etc all make disposables and/or cartridge razors.

Last edited:
Buy what you like. Nothing wrong with stockpiling stuff that is going out of production, as many are doing with their favourite PPI blades. Buying something you don't like as much just because the factory is still open seems a bit self-defeating.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I can't imagine any limits on my power. I literally decide which companies thrive and which die. I'm very much like a god - maybe the razor blade god?

I'm amazed they don't all send me free samples, given my extreme power.

Top Bottom