What's new

Brylcreem alternatives?

Anyone out there know of a product similar to Brylcreem with a little more hold and/or stability to it? I love the look of my hair with Brylcreem in it, but after a while (presumably as the water in it evaporates) it loses it's hold, starts to just look oily and starts to curl and whatnot. Basically what I'm looking for is either something that will provide a better hold so it won't come apart in a couple hours or at least is more stable and less prone to evaporation, yet has a similar vibe as far as the way hair looks when it has a cream in it rather than a wax or pomade.

I've been a Pomade man for years (Murrays almost exclusively), but I'm trying to use products that aren't quite as intense.

Thanks.

I like Groom & Clean as it is not as oily. Not sure it will hold better.
One that should hold better is American Crew Fiber. Great hold.

Most guys seem to think Groom & Clean is less intense than Brylcreem. You might try out either of two tonics - Wildroot, which is heavier but not as heavy as a pomade. Another tonic is Jeris (with oil) - it is lighter than Wildroot but not light at all if enough is used. Most tonics can be adjusted by spreading out the times between washes.

American Crew Fiber or Trendstarter Matte Finishing Wax (pretty much the same thing). Good strong hold but never greasy looking.

Ben

I like Brylcreem for the reason you don't, at the end of the day, I can still comb my hair as though it is wet

Anyone out there know of a product similar to Brylcreem with a little more hold and/or stability to it? I love the look of my hair with Brylcreem in it, but after a while (presumably as the water in it evaporates) it loses it's hold, starts to just look oily and starts to curl and whatnot. Basically what I'm looking for is either something that will provide a better hold so it won't come apart in a couple hours or at least is more stable and less prone to evaporation, yet has a similar vibe as far as the way hair looks when it has a cream in it rather than a wax or pomade.

I've been a Pomade man for years (Murrays almost exclusively), but I'm trying to use products that aren't quite as intense.

Thanks.

Have you tried this Brylcreem?
It's a gel though.

Attachments

• $Brylcreem Power Hold.jpg
    $Brylcreem Power Hold.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 194
I like Brylcreem for the reason you don't, at the end of the day, I can still comb my hair as though it is wet

I like that part of it, which is why I'm trying to get away from stiff Pomades. But the actual look of it at the end of the day is all wrong for me. When it starts out it has that look as though you combed your hair right out of the shower....perfect look and stylability. Problem with me is that my hair has a slight curl to it and as the moisture goes, the hold falls apart and starts to look completely unkempt. That's actually why I've been a Murray's man for so many years; despite all the headaches around styling and washing it, I know it will look the same at the end of the day. Gels are out because they get crunchy. I think I'll look into Groom & Clean, though I'm not sure they sell it in Canada. May have to dip by a drug store the next time I'm in Seattle.

I like that part of it, which is why I'm trying to get away from stiff Pomades. But the actual look of it at the end of the day is all wrong for me. When it starts out it has that look as though you combed your hair right out of the shower....perfect look and stylability. Problem with me is that my hair has a slight curl to it and as the moisture goes, the hold falls apart and starts to look completely unkempt. That's actually why I've been a Murray's man for so many years; despite all the headaches around styling and washing it, I know it will look the same at the end of the day. Gels are out because they get crunchy. I think I'll look into Groom & Clean, though I'm not sure they sell it in Canada. May have to dip by a drug store the next time I'm in Seattle.

Look for S-Curl Style 360. Very easy to wash out, smells like Brylcreem, and holds better, too.

I hear ya, my hair is fine, so Brylcreem works for me, you need to keep asking to find what is right for you, these retro products are fun, but they have to be practical as well!

Lucky 13 has a cream pomade, which is the consistency of Brylcreem, called Swagger. It is actually made by Murray's. Also bumble and bumble makes a grooming cream that I use to use that works really well.

Tabac makes a hair cream. I have been reading about it and gets great reviews from users, but I've yet to pull the trigger. Also saw something yardley makes, a lavender hair cream or pomade you might look into those. I know there are reviews for both on B&B

Agreed, thats what I like about Brylcreem. I can recomb throughout the day and not lose any of the slicked back/shiny 50's look. I use more than a lil dab mind ya, more like a quarter size dollup.

Top Bottom