What's new

Broken blade

I see a lot of antique blades that are broken in the same manner, a 1/2 circle shape from the edge.
Anyone have an idea of how this happened? I can picture some kid taking dad's razor and using it as a screwdriver, place the edge in the slot, use the handle for leverage and..oops.

If you are refering to a straight razor the notch on the end is sometimes called a barbers notch. They used it to get around your nose and your ears.

If you are refering to a straight razor the notch on the end is sometimes called a barbers notch. They used it to get around your nose and your ears.

Yes and no. Yes referring to a straight, but no not the barbers notch. This is on the edge so the razor is ruined. Someone tried to sell me one like that for $25! I said no thanks.

I suspect it is from dropping while open onto a sink or counter edge. The steel in a razor is left rather hard, and therefore brittle, perfect for a razor that needs sharpness and sees "gentle" use. In a common knife this kind of hardness would guarentee broken useless blades.

There are a number of CASE branded razors at the local antique mall like this, for $85 each!

Phil

I suspect it is from dropping while open onto a sink or counter edge. The steel in a razor is left rather hard, and therefore brittle, perfect for a razor that needs sharpness and sees "gentle" use. In a common knife this kind of hardness would guarentee broken useless blades.

There are a number of CASE branded razors at the local antique mall like this, for $85 each!

Phil

$85!!! someone will buy them too. Not me, I buy things that I think I can use, not to look at.

Top Bottom