What's new

Breaking in boars and badgers

So I've only been wet/DE shaving for a couple of weeks now. In my initial purchase I bought what was advertised as a badger, but was actually a boar (Omega). I've since bought a cheap badger brush (Frank Shaving... shown in another thread).

I've read on this forum that it takes a few shaves to break a boar brush in. By breaking in, does it mean that the brush softens? lathers better? something else?

Also, is the same true for badger?

How long (or how many uses) does it generally take to completely break in a brush?

Thanks in advance! :001_smile

With boar the ends of the individual hairs split up, this takes a while and makes the brush a whole lot softer on the face without compromising backbone. This is why quality boar brushes are so popular with those in the know.

With badger the brush very quickly adapts to its job. After only a few shaves it will be as good as it gets. There is no end splitting.

With boar the ends of the individual hairs split up, this takes a while and makes the brush a whole lot softer on the face without compromising backbone. This is why quality boar brushes are so popular with those in the know.

With badger the brush very quickly adapts to its job. After only a few shaves it will be as good as it gets. There is no end splitting.

Completely agree with every word. I would like to add that Omega boar brushes are considered a quality boar brush. :thumbup1:

This might be a slight hijack but here is a helpful hint for breaking in a boar brush. Lather it up with a soap heavily. Rinse.....towel dry and then blow dry with hair dryer. Repeat until desired results are fullfilled. I use high heat because it helps split the ends. I have done this with all my boar brushes with great success. Even my Semogue SOC LE. Some frown on this practice but I figure the hair puts up with ALOT worse in its original state so whats a hair dryer;) BTW...this turned my 1305 from a non lathering *** brush to an incredible all around brush within 1 hour. I you have 30 days to burn then knock yourself out;)

Badger......no need to break in. Unless you get a super dense brush of course but I find a couple test runs substantial. They do get softer over time IMO but latherability success is almost instant.

I am definetly one that frowns on this technique. Why introduce 200+ temps. to something that you want to last a long time. You can dry out the hairs making them brittle and cause them to break.

From day one my Semogue 1305 was wonderful at making lather (it definately wasen't a ***) and with time yes it does get better. But why rush it? Isn't half the fun knowing that your boar brushes have been broken in by using them and not some artificial means?

Thanks for weighing in, Keith. In all honesty my Omega boar isn't all that bad in terms of building lather even though I've only used it a handful of times. Maybe I'll just stick it out and let it break in at it's own pace.

I'm a boar neophyte, I have 2 semogues, one very dense one. The 620 is easy to work with while breaking in, the Owners Club brush is one dense beast. It will take time.

I'd prefer to let it do that, and don't subscribe to the view that the hair sees rougher treatment on the hog. The hog loses hairs in fights, mud, heat, rain and snow. It's not the sort of hair that would get used for brushes, and I don't know how often live hogs get pelted with 200 degree heat.

Except when they're in an oven.

Course, it's not a $100+ badger either, so some people can afford to 'abuse' them, or at least not feel like they need to be a valet, who will attend to their special and delicate badgery needs.

I have a Windsor boar in 'extra stiff'. It seems to be the only brush I want to use lately.

I will , once or twice a week, use the hairdryer on the warm setting. The brush is still not fully broken so you could assume the warm setting is not 'damaging' the bristles, although after the first few times I did this the lathering and feel of it improved. But that may be coincidental timing.

Actually the reason I dry it is for hygiene primarily. If I didnt, the thing would spend most of its life in a damp state, and nasties love to grow in dampness that harbours organic material.
A minute or two substantially dries the brush and also opens the bristles to allow more air to get down in there.

If nothing else, it keeps me happy.

My new Omega 98 Professional arrived yesterday. Except for the wet piggy smell, I like it a lot. I'm going to have to look up the break in thread.

The wet/dry cycle of use causes the end of the bristle to flag. This the desired effect. Lather with your boar brush eveyday, even if you dont use it to lather your face. This also allows you to get to learn your brushes traits.

I like both boar & badger brushes & I have had alot of both types. There is nothing like a broken in boar brush for silky softness on the face with backbone to spare further down the bristles.

Top Bottom