What's new

Braun Series 9 9370cc vs Noreleco Prestige shaver

I used to have a Braun Series 3 300cc shaver that had a cleaning station which had the two foils and the middle cutter in the middle.
It cut short hair great but not the long ones.
one.https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=BpwMZxdm&id=AAF757D2EE1F74795122FFAE4F5FEC9D864F57F0&thid=OIP.BpwMZxdm0ixkkI_xyfStnQHaHa&mediaurl=https%3a%2f%2fcdn.pocket-lint.com%2fr%2fs%2f970x%2fassets%2fimages%2f70697-gadgets-review-braun-series-3-390cc-shaver-image1-1XKpuVUWcv.jpg&exph=970&expw=970&q=braun+shaver+2008&simid=607992636484749977&selectedIndex=0&ajaxhist=0

I moved up to a Norelco Sensotouch 3D which gave a better shave but again it was not close to a razor shave with even the Mach 3 turbo. I think I purchased this shaver around 2011. I updated the shaver head recently to the Prestige head which fits on it. I am very happy with the improved closeness. With this shaver being old, I thought I would get an updated shaver. I really like the way the Prestige looks but most likely I would receive the same shave as my current shaver since they both uses the same shaving head. The Prestige motor might turn the rotors a little faster so it may cut a little faster. Anyway, as I have been reading this forum for a while and decided to purchase the Braun Series 9 from Walmart who will be delivering it to my house. If for some reason I am not happy with it after 2 weeks, I may consider returning it and buy the Prestige.

The shavecheck.com gave both shavers very high marks, but he stated the foil Braun still edged out the Prestige for his face. Many here have both and have given high praise for both shavers.

The Pros for the Prestige is it's much quieter, and its a lighter shaver. It cuts the neck very well and does not give any razor burn at least for my face. It's also about $20 cheaper than the Braun Series 9.

The Pros for the Braun is it has the cleaning station. The Prestige you have to take apart the 3 rotary blades once a month and clean them. Also the Braun has the side trimmer built into it for nose, ear and sideburns. With the Prestige you have to pull off the shaving head and put in the adaptor and then switch it back again.

I will be providing an update after I use the Braun Series 9 for several days, but would be interested in hearing from people who have used both shavers and your opinion on how they compare. I know comments have been made on other threads which may be hidden on page 3 of a thread. So I figured with this title, helpful insights from customers like you would be helpful here.

I received my Braun 9 series shaver today. Here are my initial observations.

The shaver is lighter than I thought it was going to be. My older Braun Series 3 from 10 years ago was heavier and had more metal on it. In one way the lighter shaver is easier to hold and work with. The brush is very tiny and has no good handle to hold onto. There was no cover for the shaving head which surprised me. I guess if you keep it in the pouch it comes in, you don't need one. Speaking of the pouch, there is no place to put the cleaning brush. I would have hoped there would be a little net on the inside where you could store it. I purchased the silver matt finish which does not have finger print issues.

Cleaning station is better than the old one I used to have. On the old cleaning station, you had a long stick that you had to connect the bottom of your shaver to that was like an antenna. The new one just has the two connectors on the cleaning station so it is easier to store since it does not stick up so high. The cleaning station I will use probably once or twice a week. When not in use, I will take the cleaning solution out of the cleaning station and put the tabs back on so the liquid won't evaporate.

I had a 1 1/2 growth of beard (I can grow a full beard in 2 weeks) and shaved one side with the Braun and the other side with the Norelco Sensotouch 3D with the Prestige shaving heads on it. The Braun is not as loud as my previous Braun which was a good thing. I feel the vibrations that are suppose to help the beard stand up which feels nice. The cutting was very gentle on my face. The shaver head gets a little warm but never hot. It cuts smoothly and is very easy on your face, even more gentle than the Norelco. I noticed when I trim my nose and neck area on the Norelco, the third cutter (which is on the bottom) does not touch my skin as you need to angle the top two cutters to work in those areas. So in one way, the Norelco head is too big. With the Braun the foils are always in contact with your face. I like the size of the Braun foil cassette. It seemed that the Braun cut a little better than the Norelco and additional passes on the Norelco were needed. It is questionable however if the Braun cuts my neck area better than the Norelco. I would provide more on this after I use the Braun a lot more.

With having the same two foils at the ends and the direct & cut middle cutter of the Series 7, I can't imagine the Series 7 cutting better than the 9. The 9 of course has the extra gold hyperlift and cut which is suppose to improve cutting on long hairs including the neck area. It seems this may help a little, but how much is to be determined. Everyone's beard and the way they use the shaver will make a difference. I tend to shave a little slower with the Braun and I prefer to use less passes and not rush the shaver from cutting the beard. All in all I had a very positive shaving experience on the first try.

Last edited:
Thanks for your through reviews. I haven’t used a rotary shaver in a very long time but I’ve Been using foil shavers for at lest 40 years. I have had an excellent experience using my Braun 7 series shaver daily since last April. I agree with your conclusions however I don’t have the cleaning station and shave dry before showering. Are you shaving dry or wet? Keep us updated on your shaving experience with the series 9 Braun.

I have only use the Braun with dry shaving.

One thing I did not realize is the shape of the Braun shaver. The entire shaver arcs over a certain amount of degrees. Maybe they thought this would help with shaving? I have experienced a negative effect however. Due to the angle you hold the shaver I found the muscle in the lower area of my thumb to hurt (ache) due to the unnatural position Im holding the shaver. Does anyone else experience this?

Cutting: i am very happy with the shaves Im getting with the Braun Series 9. I believe it is a little closer than the Norelco Prestige which is still very good. However I confirmed the Prestige is able to cut longer hairs better than the Braun which includes cutting the hair on my neck area.

After spending more time with this shaver, Im very happy how it cuts wiskers on my face including the checks, chin, and nose area. My neck area it only does a decent job. There are always several long flat hairs it does not catch. I end up using the trimmer to cut these hairs.
The cleaning station I am also very happy with. I am surprised how little wiskers come out of the shaver as it seems unless you rinse it under water, many of them stay in the cartridge area.

Though the shaver cuts close enough for my face, with the neck area it's is a little disappointing. The Norelco Prestige clearly cuts the neck area (including the back of my neck) much better. The closeness on my face the Norelco is just a tiny bit behind the Braun. Both are very good but in some ways I do prefer the quieter Norelco. I gave my son my Sensotouch 3 shaver that has the Prestige cutter (which I can still use if I want) and in the future I might consider also buying the Prestige.

Norelco fan here also. And I've used the Series 9 and new Series 7 as well. I actually prefer the 9000 Series Norelco for comfort, but you can also use the Prestige cutters on it - the best of both worlds, with a cleaning station. All are top tier shavers, but to me the rotaries shave a little more uniform, quieter, and less irritating - for me - than just about any foil. Does take a little longer for beard and face to adapt, but worth it - for me.

After spending more time with this shaver, Im very happy how it cuts wiskers on my face including the checks, chin, and nose area. My neck area it only does a decent job. There are always several long flat hairs it does not catch. I end up using the trimmer to cut these hairs.
The cleaning station I am also very happy with. I am surprised how little wiskers come out of the shaver as it seems unless you rinse it under water, many of them stay in the cartridge area.

Though the shaver cuts close enough for my face, with the neck area it's is a little disappointing. The Norelco Prestige clearly cuts the neck area (including the back of my neck) much better. The closeness on my face the Norelco is just a tiny bit behind the Braun. Both are very good but in some ways I do prefer the quieter Norelco. I gave my son my Sensotouch 3 shaver that has the Prestige cutter (which I can still use if I want) and in the future I might consider also buying the Prestige.

Are you shaving daily? Generally electric shavers have issues shaving longer hairs. That’s one use for the trimmer. However, If you shave daily the hairs should not get long nor lay flat on your neck area. One of the advantages of electric shaving is speed and connivence. I shave daily before showering and it takes about four or five minutes including cleaning.

Top Bottom