What's new
  • Welcome back Guest!
    If you have been away from our site you may have to request a new password. Simply click on the link for "lost" password in the log in page.
    Thank you.
    The BST is now open, please note the changes in our guidelines to address the recent fraudulent activity. Ensure you read the guidelines prior to creating a sale thread in the Buy-Sell-Trade forum with special attention to the new photo and payment requirements.
    Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Bowl lathering vs Face lathering

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Moderator Emeritus
Two pages in . . . I don't think we have been privy to the brand of soap you are using. There certainly differences. Did you ever try Proraso? For me, and I'm holding up the shield because I'm going get rocks, it is a gold standard.

We all live in different places have different levels of water hardness etc. I like what you said about trying different things. That really is a part of the fun.

very interesting, I will try
Whiskers are stiffer than copper wire, and short which adds to the stiffness. I don't believe long soft badger hair lifts or lays them down. What they do is work moisture into the whiskers causing them to swell up thereby becoming less dense.
It seems to me.

ackvil

Moderator Emeritus
Contributor
That is very good lather. It might be a issue of how much time the lather is on your face. Perhaps try Kyle's prep. I'm not quite as obsessive but really the idea is to let moisture get into your whiskers so that your razor can more easily cut them.

Link here

Also Ackvil mentions Noxzema in that thread. That to me feels so so nice.
The barber I mentioned used a product that looked like Noxzema. It came in a jar and he would massage it onto your face and neck. A barber I went to as a teenager would put his mixture of a pre-shave oil on a customer's face and neck and rub that in.

Two pages in . . . I don't think we have been privy to the brand of soap you are using. There certainly differences. Did you ever try Proraso? For me, and I'm holding up the shield because I'm going get rocks, it is a gold standard.
We all live in different places have different levels of water hardness etc. I like what you said about trying different things. That really is a part of the fun.
IMG_1923 (1).jpg

These are soaps that perform very well for my beard growth. Funny that you mention Proraso, it was my very first soap when I started wet shaving :) It's a soap that I always will have in my collection and it is the soap I return to when I need to be reminded how it was first time i started with DE safety razor. Proraso White is a bit difficult to describe but for me, it is a lovely mild and clean scent that cools the skin, especially at the 2nd pass.

The soaps that surprise me are the red little devils "Arko" and "La Toja" Fantastic performance and a nice smoothness. Using the stick on the face and painting with the brush before i start massaging ... boom and the soap explodes in a short time.
There are so many good soaps that perform really well, but if there is one that might stand out a little extra, it must be Stirling Deep Blue Sea. It gives an incredible yogurt performance and it's very slick. It's the soap I used from the bowl latherin-picture on the first page.

I just wish I could get an equally amazing feeling with bowl lathering as I get with face lathering:)

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Moderator Emeritus
I like Arko too. I bought a 12 pack and parked it out of smell range for a while. It does fade quite a bit with time. One variable I didn't think about is that I use a boar brush which, due to being stiffer, might be better at getting the lather into my beard. Other than that I've got nothing left. :)

Bowl is best. I find that it’s a lot easier on my skin. I wouldn’t strop my straight razor in my face either. I’m sure it would work but I have a piece of leather for that task.

The other advantage is that you can make plenty of lather for three passes and aren’t left squeezing the last bit of lather out of you brush for touch ups like a hobo picking cigarette buts out of an ashtray. YMMV Everyone has their preferred way of doing things.

I do tend to fine tune the water content on my face but most of the grunt work is in the bowl.

The other advantage is that you can make plenty of lather for three passes and aren’t left squeezing the last bit of lather out of you brush for touch ups like a hobo picking cigarette buts out of an ashtray. YMMV Everyone has their preferred way of doing things.
Yes, it's quite interesting to see so many with different approaches :) I don't know how it works for others but for me it is very easy to build a lather on my face that lasts for 3-4 passes without squeezing

Top Bottom