What's new

Bowl Lathering Italian Soft Soaps?

Bowl Lathering Italian Soft Soaps:
Can It Be Done?

I read Marco's tutorial on lathering soft Italian soaps.
No doubt that works great.
However, as a beginner, I feel I don't have enough control over face lathering. Furthermore, even if I would be great at it, I prefer bowl lathering.
Plus I want to get a scuttle in the future.
Is it possible to bowl lather soft soaps?
I have this really good Susan Darnell Vitos Sapone Extra Super and would like to get the maximum performance out of it. Plus I think I will mostly use soft soaps in the future.
Any tips, help would be appreciated!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Yes, you can bowl lather any shave soap or shave cream. That's up to you. You would probably need to find a container where your soap can be stored. Then, it's a matter of finding the right bowl to lather.

Here are some images I just made while bowl lathering Vitos Red with coconut oil using Marco's tip.

proxy.php

I used my BB09 which I soaked for two minutes in my DB. I dumped the water from the inner bowl but I did not shake out
the brush. I loaded the brush from the tin for about 35-45 seconds while holding it over the scuttle so that the soapy water
in the brush would fall back into the bowl. I mixed the soap and water for about a minute and it looked like an unusable
soupy mess. I kept at it for another two minutes and was rewarded with billowy slick lather. I feel it speaks for itself.

My 2 cents,

Currently away on biz and SOP for me is use the coffee mug in the hotel room to lather up (dopp kit for travel has a cheaper boar brush, proraso green tube, pre and AS and if it's going to be checked luggage I carry an EJ handle that fits a Mach 3 because ove the obvious blade on a plane issue.

Anyway, the coffee mug in the room this morning was this tiny little thing and I just squeezed a little cream onto a quite damp brush and just went at it on my face. Within a couple minutes, and a couple of tip dips in hot water in the basin, I had this explosion of lather up. The boar does a wondrous job face lathering, better than what my BBB ususally does.

Long story short? It may be the brush? Or the soap?? Or Both??? Or neither?????

Hmmm....that probably doesnt help.

My 2 cents,

Currently away on biz and SOP for me is use the coffee mug in the hotel room to lather up (dopp kit for travel has a cheaper boar brush, proraso green tube, pre and AS and if it's going to be checked luggage I carry an EJ handle that fits a Mach 3 because ove the obvious blade on a plane issue.

Anyway, the coffee mug in the room this morning was this tiny little thing and I just squeezed a little cream onto a quite damp brush and just went at it on my face. Within a couple minutes, and a couple of tip dips in hot water in the basin, I had this explosion of lather up. The boar does a wondrous job face lathering, better than what my BBB ususally does.

Long story short? It may be the brush? Or the soap?? Or Both??? Or neither?????

Hmmm....that probably doesnt help.

May not help but it's a great idea! I'm travelling next week and will pinch this one for sure.

Hey Nick,

shoulda taken a photo of the mug - was like from a kids tea set. The brush barely fit in it and after a few seconds of it banging around I just thought sod it and went at it face-style.

Funny thing is the combo of water, brush and soap must have been juuuust right as I got a lather that just was spot-on.

Thank you for all the responses.
So you can just load it, and instead of face lathering proceed to bowl lather...
I will give that a try first thing in the morning.
It is very soft so molding it into a container was very easy.
Another great advantage of Italian soft soaps (even more so when traveling; no nuking your soap, just push, press, done!).
Plus you can buy them by the kilo, and save money by spending more then you normally would, lol.
Should last you a long time though.
Before you know it you have like 4,5,6 kilo's of Italian soaps at home.

I always bowl lather my Vitos. It seems to be one of those soaps that the more I work it in the bowl, the more lather I get, but there is still a sweet spot where the slickness is max'ed.

Bowl Lathering Italian Soft Soaps:
Can It Be Done?

Absolutely!

Just load up the brush with your soap of choice and bowl lather like any other cream. I have grown to dislike face lathering for various reasons, so build lather in a heavy Japanese rice bowl (which is also a very attractive grippy matte black with glossy deep purple interior). Shaved with Cella this morning, in fact. I also use Proraso White (aloe & green tea) the same way, as well as Erasmic and Mama Bear's glycerin soaps.

Top Bottom