What's new

Boiled a golden razor, did I ruin it?

Juuust don't leave a razor in the solution over night. It will eat aluminum like a rat nibbling cheese, remove all traces of laquer, and blacken several brass/bronze compounds quite deeply. Ask me how I know.😁 Barbicide is what I use nightly. A quick 3 minute dunk while I rinse my brush & dry my face. Unless I get distracted...
All you really need to do is dip your razor in the Barbicide solution; it does not need to soak. Allow it to dry naturally. That will kill nearly any pathogen. That is how professional barbers do it.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I have had gold plated razors where the lacquer looked aged, orange and horrible.
I stripped the lacquer off using Oven Cleaner.
Gold is noble and the Oven Cleaner doesn't harm it.
Not recommended for newer types like adjustables that have internal moving parts and painted numbers, but on the old 3 piece units it works a charm.
I say this to illustrate that though the lacquer was put on the older models to increase wear resistance of the gold plating, it isn't imperative that it remain there if it's in bad shape.
I don't even know if they continued to use lacquer on the later models.

Your razor look great. Just use it and enjoy it.

To me, owning nice things is something to enjoy, not worry about. Otherwise, what's the point?

I like your approach: use it until it shows wear, then replate if you love it.

I have had gold plated razors where the lacquer looked aged, orange and horrible.
I stripped the lacquer off using Oven Cleaner.
Gold is noble and the Oven Cleaner doesn't harm it.
Not recommended for newer types like adjustables that have internal moving parts and painted numbers, but on the old 3 piece units it works a charm.
I say this to illustrate that though the lacquer was put on the older models to increase wear resistance of the gold plating, it isn't imperative that it remain there if it's in bad shape.
I don't even know if they continued to use lacquer on the later models.
These Tuckaways illustrate the big difference in lacquered and not. I have other sets that look orange, a Bostonian if I recall. I too am curious when Gillette applied lacquer. I will check serial numbers when I get back tomorrow
. IMG_2883b.jpeg

Top Bottom