What's new

Boar hunt

As per my regular routine the moment I get any new boars I'll try to get a feel of the hairs if they're soft of nylon hard and a quick sniff. The 51 and 810 were too new, had a slight porky whiff and needed a good shower.

Off they went to get a good MBBM.
View attachment 994212

Despite having the same knot 24/50mm, the 810 has nicer, softer bristles. The 51 however is a really cute pup and the perfect travel brush.

The 10810 however, wins out due to better bristles and handle size.

As a medium boar brush I'll be hard pressed to find a better combinational at least for myself, slight skirtch, great backbone and at 50mm it's just about the perfect loft and splay.

View attachment 994213
Just for comparison of the stubbies. The 10051, 10810, 11137 (thanks TBoner) and the short metal Yaqi Silvertip.

The 10051 and 10810 are so much more suitable for me than the 10104 or the 10049.

I couldn't be happier especially at just sgd $6 - $6.5

Haooy shaves,

Mawashi

My beehive looks more densely packed with hair than my chunky chubb. Yours seem to be the opposite.

Not that it would matter much. The beehive is the best boar I have now and I have 5 so far. My second best one is the 10018/19.

I forgot to tell you they also have the bigger bambino 10086. But it looks like a waste of money because the knot is so damn small and it costs the same as the bigger ones.

My beehive looks more densely packed with hair than my chunky chubb. Yours seem to be the opposite.

Not that it would matter much. The beehive is the best boar I have now and I have 5 so far. My second best one is the 10018/19.

I forgot to tell you they also have the bigger bambino 10086. But it looks like a waste of money because the knot is so damn small and it costs the same as the bigger ones.

After I've done my MBBM on the brushes they don't look like Omegas anymore lol.

The 10086 isn't a shaving brush it's a toothbrush lol. Like the wee Scott I can't figure out how people use it. The smallest I have is a 21mm Silvertip and of course the 10051. But the 10810 looks to be the best boar for me. I still haven't tried the Semogue 1800 that's on it way from the US but so far the 24/50 mm knot really works for me.

Btw have you tried some Yaqi badgers cos they are really excellent.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

After I've done my MBBM on the brushes they don't look like Omegas anymore lol.

The 10086 isn't a shaving brush it's a toothbrush lol. Like the wee Scott I can't figure out how people use it. The smallest I have is a 21mm Silvertip and of course the 10051. But the 10810 looks to be the best boar for me. I still haven't tried the Semogue 1800 that's on it way from the US but so far the 24/50 mm knot really works for me.

Btw have you tried some Yaqi badgers cos they are really excellent.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

No, never tried badgers and probably never will. Badgers look like rodents to me so I don't really want to try them.

Eurasian badger

proxy.php

proxy.php

American badger

proxy.php

proxy.php

African badger

proxy.php

proxy.php

Some midweek badger geopolitics for our amusement.

Eurasian badger

proxy.php

proxy.php

American badger

proxy.php

proxy.php

African badger

proxy.php

proxy.php

Some midweek badger geopolitics for our amusement.

I can't see how this 723cc5779375a26c2adc04bd67df7e589e5db1d97bf61640e5886486f0547f53.jpg

Is preferred over this lol.
Mellivora_capensis_in_Howletts_Wild_Animal_Park.jpg
If it comes down to stink lol.

P.s. you missed out the stink badger and the honey badger pictured above lol.

Being a badger guy seemed to be me with a couple of boar, actually 3 that didn't seem to work out for me a few years back. I actually started with a SOC cherry wood handle boar that was beautiful as my first brush, couldn't get much out of a pretty quickly gave up. Started the whole badger adventure and loved them, went thru just about all the top makers and settled that I was a badger guy. Curiosity got to me and wondering if I gave up to soon on the boar, I bought another SOC cherry handle boar and gave it a shot, months later and still not getting what I thought I should out of the brush, I bought the Semogue 1250 I think and got the same results, not much. So, I went back to badger and used them for the next several years. Recently I was being curious again and thought I would give Omega a try on their boar brush #10066. I got the brush in 2 days for around $19.00 at my door. No fancy package just a brush. I cleaned it and palmed lathered a few times and let it sit over night with lather in it. The next day I said why not give it a try. So after a soak I lathered the brush and took it to the face for a face lather and was totally blown away by the awesome lather it built, not 1 but 3 passes and a then 4th just to see what was left. I could never get the Semogue brushes I owned to give up lather, I'm sure it was just me. The brush had plenty of backbone and very soft tips right off. It was a totally different experience than I had in the past with boar. Time went on and shave after shave the brush just got better with split ends and tips hooking and still have good backbone. So, I started looking into Omega brushes more and discovered a thread that really praised the 011842 formally 011829 I think. So yeah, I bought it and received it today and after washing and palm lathering I gave it a go and wow, same thing awesome lather, great backbone and a very nice handle in my opinion. I thought I would share this because I know someone would like to experience a good boar and I can speak for these 2 awesome brushes. I don't know what this means but the boar guys will appreciate it lol, I haven't touched my high end Badgers since receiving the first Omega I mentioned and now I have 2. Thanks for all the great threads that inform me and keep me up at night.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
I also purchased the Omega Premium 011842 27/52mm knot from Connaught about 2 months ago(been using it for 2.5weeks). It is as you say “gave it a go and wow, same thing awesome lather, great backbone and a very nice handle”. I like to add that it felt pretty much broken in unlike my first Omega Pro 10049. I just recently purchased the Proraso and Omega 40033 Mighty Midget=no frills just performance brushes. Omega boar brushes are high quality. My next brush will be a Zenith Boar. Anyone have the best Zenith Boar brush they would like to suggest?

I also purchased the Omega Premium 011842 27/52mm knot from Connaught about 2 months ago(been using it for 2.5weeks). It is as you say “gave it a go and wow, same thing awesome lather, great backbone and a very nice handle”. I like to add that it felt pretty much broken in unlike my first Omega Pro 10049. I just recently purchased the Proraso and Omega 40033 Mighty Midget=no frills just performance brushes. Omega boar brushes are high quality. My next brush will be a Zenith Boar. Anyone have the best Zenith Boar brush they would like to suggest?

Is the proraso too big for you? I've been eyeing it for ages but the size is holding me back.

Is the proraso too big for you? I've been eyeing it for ages but the size is holding me back.
Since I started out with Omega Pro 49 brush the Proraso actually has shorter loft than the 49, but not by much. The proraso is not too big for me, considering I got used to the Omega 49. The Proraso(also made by Omega) was softer than the 49 right out of the box, and it has less backbone than the 49 BUT has the perfect balance. Performance wise it gives amazing face lather, and if i want more backbone, i just squeeze the bottom of the loft (especially for mustache area. To speed up the break in process I did 3 things—first i let it soak in very mild dishwashing detergent for 10min., 2nd.. i let it soak in Johnson&Johnson Baby Shampoo., 3rd I mixed some TOBs Sandalwood and let it sit for an hour. I washed it off under cold water and let it air dry. I highly recommend the Proraso!, ps—get it off ebay for $12 instead off amazon which is $19 ;)

Hey if anyone knows anything about the cooper handle zenith boar could you please give your thoughts on it. I like the way it patinas!

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Since I started out with Omega Pro 49 brush the Proraso actually has shorter loft than the 49, but not by much. The proraso is not too big for me, considering I got used to the Omega 49. The Proraso(also made by Omega) was softer than the 49 right out of the box, and it has less backbone than the 49 BUT has the perfect balance. Performance wise it gives amazing face lather, and if i want more backbone, i just squeeze the bottom of the loft (especially for mustache area. To speed up the break in process I did 3 things—first i let it soak in very mild dishwashing detergent for 10min., 2nd.. i let it soak in Johnson&Johnson Baby Shampoo., 3rd I mixed some TOBs Sandalwood and let it sit for an hour. I washed it off under cold water and let it air dry. I highly recommend the Proraso!, ps—get it off ebay for $12 instead off amazon which is $19 ;)
BTW —I just got an email from ItalianBarber and they now have the Proraso brush available and back in stock for $15.99

I love my boars for hard soaps;
Love my Badgers for creams;
Love my horse hair for Croaps or whenever I feel the urge;
Love my Synthetics for travel;
And the only brush I hate, but keep around to remind me that there is worthless crap out there being sold, so buyer beware;
Nice collection!

I think Proraso recent batch is much different from the one two years ago. I have one bought 2 years ago which is really great. It has so much backbone.

I got another Proraso a year later as backup, but it came out softer and less backbone. I gave it to a friend. It was a nice brush but I had already a better one to cover the soft boar area.

My "old" Proraso is really unique. I wish I bought 2 at that time but I did not know better.

I haven't tried a Zenith or Semogue though.

Top Bottom