What's new

Blue Tip love

I'm about to chronicle my adventures with the Gillette Blue Tip I recently received.
Reading up on the Blue Tip in the shavewiki suggests that its a mild shaver once favored by the ladies.
The handle is light, and initially it feels a little top heavy.

This one happens to be an A 2; so second quarter of 1955 as I understand.
Its in great shape. There seems to be some slight aluminum corrosion in the inside ring where the handle is pressed into the head. But not serious.
The nice thing about an aluminum handle is that it can't brass. :001_smile
I wonder if the tips were originally painted or powder coated? It feels thick and durable. Well when I clean it I plan on taking extra care around it - for fear of rubbing off the blue.

Here's what I'm working with.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I liked my bluetip, but found that I had to make many passes to get close to the shave I had gotten from any of my other razors, leaving me with more irritation. If I wanted just a quick knockdown of stubble it was great. YMMV of course. Let us know.

I bought a blue tip just so I could own the the blue, red, and flair tip.

I shaved with it about five times trying the red tip and flair tip and haven't used it in 7 months.

It's a nice razor, but the weight just isn't for me.

Along with the Knack and Krona, the Blue tip is a light shaver that uses inexpensive DE blades - and has TTO ease of use (that can't be claimed for a certain razor that I love to heap abuse on....)

Yea, it'll be interesting to see how mild of a shave it gives. I'll probably end up searching for a red tip at some point just to see how they all compare to each other.

Well I gave it a quick gentle scrub with a toothbrush and a paste of baking soda and water. The corrosion on the inside ring came right off.
There a bit of stubborn soap scum inside the end caps. I'm gonna try scrubbing bubbles, head down to keep the tip dry. Then hit it with the toothbrush again.

proxy.php

proxy.php

It is spectacular for groggy mornings, especially loaded with a very sharp blade.

If you like the Blue Tip you got to hunt down a Tan Tip- very rare.

Alright, I couldn't find any scrubbing bubbles but I had some Kaboom. Dissolves soap scum according to the label. I couldn't get a good picture of the soap scum in the end cap I was talking about.
But here's what I did, I put the razor in a dish head down. (again to protect the blue tip)
Then I squirted it with Kaboom and let it sit about 5 minuets.
Ran it under the tap and all the soap scum fell out. I didn't even use the toothbrush this time.
Then I gave it a very light quick buff with some Wrights Silver Cream (with the sponge that comes in the tub) and its shinning pretty.
It looks like there were some dark spots on the handle but it wasn't dirt, as I could tell it was a scuff and that's how the light shins off it. Didn't want' to scrub the aluminum too hard.

Gonna give it a spin and see if its as mild as everyone suggests :wink2:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I'll let you know how it goes after I've had a couple of shaves with it.
Though I've never used a Tech before so I won't really be able to compare to that razor.

Top Bottom