What's new

BLT-Updated with (secret ingredient) Give this a try!

Tonight we will have "our" updated BLT (using terrific local tomatoes that are coming in).

1. Applewood smoked bacon: cook as usual, then drain on paper toweling
2. Fresh local tomato: slice
3. Fresh local lettuce (we are using Boston today): 1-2 nice leaves/sandwich
4. Brioche roll: toast under the broiler
5. Mayo to taste

Assemble above then add the Magic Ingredient!

6. Fried egg (over easy), add just before serving.

Enjoy!! :thumbup::thumbup:

Last edited:
That sounds really good - except I'm an over hard man.

I had a BLT a few weeks ago that was made with fried green tomatoes. Pretty amazing.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I've had more than one "breakfast BLT" sandwiches, along the same lines as yours, and they never fail to bring a smile.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I always call them a BLET...cause that's what the egg sounds like when it slides out and hits the floor due to the bacon grease and the juice from the tomato. :biggrin1:

I also put a slice of cheese on mine, so I guess my usual is a BLETC.

Sometimes I'll also put a thin slice of ham on it...then I have a BLETCH.

Last edited:
I cook my bacon on a sheet pan. Instead of draining the grease I rub the bread in the drippings and put it in the oven on the same pan. The bread gets nice and toasty crisp but has extra bacon flavor.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Since really good tomatoes are hard to find, I'm considering doing a rough blend of cherry tomatoes instead. The small cherry tomatoes around here are nice and sweet. I'll making sort of a thick spread. Then comes the roasted hatch chilies. Hatch chilies are not hot, but 1 in 10 can be spicy. Roasting them is the key to unlocking it's flavor. Then top with apple smoked hatch chili bacon, fried egg, mayo and lettuce.

...a little hot sauce to keeps things peppy.

Since really good tomatoes are hard to find, I'm considering doing a rough blend of cherry tomatoes instead. The small cherry tomatoes around here are nice and sweet. I'll making sort of a thick spread. Then comes the roasted hatch chilies. Hatch chilies are not hot, but 1 in 10 can be spicy. Roasting them is the key to unlocking it's flavor. Then top with apple smoked hatch chili bacon, fried egg, mayo and lettuce.

....and Aaron wins again ...

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

My best luck with any produce is the farmer's market. I won't even buy my habaneros from the grocery store. When I make hot sauce I use the good stuff.

This is Basically the "Spanglish" Sandwich. Since seeing the movie, it has become our go to BLT. but we add a chipotle hot sauce to it. Paired with a nice Amber beer and you are in Nirvana. My wife has a section of her garden that is specifically for the butter lettuce, and tomatoes for this reason LOL. Thanks for posting

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
My best luck with any produce is the farmer's market. I won't even buy my habaneros from the grocery store. When I make hot sauce I use the good stuff.

We've got two pretty close to the house. They are both open at about 8:00Am on Saturdays only. They both close at noon. By the time I get over there (which is normally 11:45am:blushing:) all the tomatoes are gone. :cursing:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
We've got two pretty close to the house. They are both open at about 8:00Am on Saturdays only. They both close at noon. By the time I get over there (which is normally 11:45am:blushing:) all the tomatoes are gone. :cursing:

I guess I am lucky- ours is open every day.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
So here it is. Sour dough bread toasted with a little butter. Puréed cherry tomatoes, fire roasted hatch chilies, mayo, applewood smoked hatch chili bacon, baby spinach and Xtra Hot Dragon Chillies hot sauce.

$image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg

Top Bottom