What's new

[Blasphemy] opinions on capsule coffee makers

my mother has been looking at those capsule coffee makers, like tassio or nesspresso, and i know its sort of blasphemy around here, but i wanted to know if anyone had one and what was his general impression,

im currently looking at the bosch tassio Tas 40,

I have had (passed it on to my brother) and my parents still have a Keurig. I think they're great; there is a ton of different flavored coffees, which allows you or guests to very quickly brew a single cup of whichever flavor you/they feel like at the moment. However, I never found a plain, non-flavored coffee that I really liked.

They are very, very convienent and easy to use. Try lots and lots of different coffees to find your favorites. I bet she'll love it.

I think Danek nailed it.

Great for single people or single cup drinkers. No mess, no waste. And without this sounding too elitist, if the person is not a coffee aficionado (or snob :001_cool: ) they will probably love it for the above mentioned reasons.

Preground coffee is lousy whether it's out of a bag, canistor, or single-serve-pod, but if she's used to it then she should like it fine.

I have a keurig at my office. It is incredibly convenient: it allows me to make a single cup of coffee with absolutely no mess or fuss or cleanup. And I can have regular, decaf, tea, and hot cocoa available to offer to clients.

Sure, the product tastes nothing like fresh beans straight out of the grinder made in a french press. But with the right k-cup it makes a pretty good cup of coffee by mainstream standards. I still use the press on weekends, but for my day-to-day needs I'm happy with the keurig.

Keurig sells a "Kcup" that you can put your own coffe in as well. Its cool. but $ kept me from buying a system.

i was just thinking about a tassimo, which makes coffee, tea, hot coco,

but then i started thinking,
1) i firmly believe that coco should be made with milk, water based coco tastes nasty to me, coco has to be thick, warm and filling, not thin and watery.
2) tea requires 2-3 minutes of proper brewing, i doubt that instant tea out of the capsules is anywhere near good uncut leafs brewed for the correct time in the right temperature,
3) a french press can easly produce coffee of much better quality then any of those machines, using own roast and/or ground beans, you get a better cup of coffee for less money,

but the most important reason dosnt need a bullet point,
were here in this forum becuase we believe that the generation of men in the 70´s that gave up safety razors and straight razors for cartrige multiblade sistems were wrong, this caused an important decrease in quality and competition in the mens grooming market, from many manufacturers, the market was reduced to 2 major manufacturers, and this allowed them to sell inferior products at a higher cost, can you remeber when you went to the supermarket and had your pick of blade brands ?
i also work in it , so i know that the same thing happened with printers in the 80´s, where many manufacturers with easy to reload print spools, there were many ink providers, and now came to 4 big companies (HP, Epson, Canon and lexmark) with expencive proprietary systems,

so i know that if today, this generation gives up on beans and leafs, and goes for a prepackaged pods for their coffee, maybe in 5 to 10 years, we will be buying coffee beans and tea leafes in mail order or specialized shops, while your local market only has pods and cartriges in their coffee section, its not progress if you settle for something wrost,

Last edited:
I've tried a Tassio, Senseo and another one we have at the office and I have not been impressed. Additionally the coffee is usually a very dark roast which makes it all taste the same to me. I'm sticking with the slow method of grinding beans, boiling water and pressing my own whole pot. Making a good pot of home roasted coffee takes me about as long as good shave, probably in the 15-20 min range. I enjoy them both immensely and wouldn't consider giving them up for the extra half an hour in my day. Faster is not necessarily better, usually the opposite.

For drip coffee, I'd rather grind my own beans than use capsules.

For espresso, making decent quality requires fairly expensive equipment. For that reason, I've opted for the Nespresso. I think it makes a decent cup. Have I had better espresso in Italy, sure(!) but from a professional working a $5k machine.

I got the K-Cup reusable filter thingie for the Keurig at work.

I'm going to take my home-roasted beans up to work, grind them, and put them in the K-Cup.

BUT...without that, I'm not too much of a fan. I'll try this out on Monday and let y'all know if using your own bean in the Keurig works out.

bought the senseo in the end, and got a coffeeduck, which basicly converts it to a very cheap drip machine,

also got the hot coco trays :p

I have a keurig at my office. It is incredibly convenient: it allows me to make a single cup of coffee with absolutely no mess or fuss or cleanup. And I can have regular, decaf, tea, and hot cocoa available to offer to clients.

Sure, the product tastes nothing like fresh beans straight out of the grinder made in a french press. But with the right k-cup it makes a pretty good cup of coffee by mainstream standards. I still use the press on weekends, but for my day-to-day needs I'm happy with the keurig.

+1 on the K cups.

Top Bottom