What's new

Blade Question

Yesterday, I went for my 2nd shave on the Murker blade. And it was horrible,pulling not cutting dull as hell, but the 1st shave was on it was fantastic. I swapped out the blade for a new feather and things were fantastic again. Is it common that a blade will degrade that quickly, I know it was a few days since i used it last (I was sick and was not up to shaving for a few days). Or was it just a bad blade?

-Jeremy

It's generally know around here that merks blades suck, great razor but rubbish blades. You have solved your own problem. :biggrin1:

It's generally know around here that merks blades suck, great razor but rubbish blades. You have solved your own problem. :biggrin1:

Actually, it's well known that newbies blame their bad technique on the first blade they try, which is usually a Merkur. :001_cool:

To answer the original question, the problem was more than likely due mainly to a technique issue on your part. Even advanced shavers get sloppy some days and have bad shaves - are you positive you nailed your prep and technique down 100%?

Actually, it's well known that newbies blame their bad technique on the first blade they try, which is usually a Merkur. :001_cool:

To answer the original question, the problem was more than likely due mainly to a technique issue on your part. Even advanced shavers get sloppy some days and have bad shaves - are you positive you nailed your prep and technique down 100%?

Yep 100% positive, everything was good. Litterally the blade did not cut. Thumb test on the blade as well gave me the impression it was not very sharp.

I know what bad technique feels like, you learn real quick when shaving with a straight razor. I am not new to wet shaving just new to DE's I have been shaving with a straight for over 6-8 mo. now and know what a sharp blade feels like, and what it feels like when my technique is lacking.

Yep 100% positive, everything was good. Litterally the blade did not cut. Thumb test on the blade as well gave me the impression it was not very sharp.

I know what bad technique feels like, you learn real quick when shaving with a straight razor. I am not new to wet shaving just new to DE's I have been shaving with a straight for over 6-8 mo. now and know what a sharp blade feels like, and what it feels like when my technique is lacking.
There are certain blades that I have tried that seem to simply last only 1-3 shaves for me (namely Lord Super Stainless). They just don't last based on my water, beard, prep. Whatever other variables.

I used them this past week and changed them every two shaves. They did Ok but still not my favorite based on having to change so frequently.

Different strokes...

There are certain blades that I have tried that seem to simply last only 1-3 shaves for me (namely Lord Super Stainless). They just don't last based on my water, beard, prep. Whatever other variables.

I used them this past week and changed them every two shaves. They did Ok but still not my favorite based on having to change so frequently.

Different strokes...

Makes Sense. I was just wondering becouse coming from Straights, a blade should never degrade after 1 shave. It was just a little strange that the blade got that dull, even cheap bic dispobables have never done that to me.

Thanks!

Yeah Merkur blades pretty much suck:thumbdown. Your better off using anything but those. I generally don't use any blade more than three times given the relatively low cost depending on the blade of course. What type of razor are you using?

Currently I just put in a Feather, and will use them till I the pack is gone. I am in the process of trying new blades, to find the ones I like, from a sample pack from west coast shaving.

Surely even if it was a bit dull for shaving it should still have been sharp enough if you ran your thumb over it?

You didn't wipe the blade while cleaning the razor maybe?

Merkur blades while widely believed to be poor surely wouldn't be that dull in 1 shave and then sitting for a day?

Blades that I discard as 'dull' would still cut my thumb if I ran them over it.

Razor is a Merkur 34c, and to be fair the blade did sit for more than one day, it sat for 3 days unused, and I rinsed and wiped the blade before puttingit way. And yea it did not cut the thumb, it was dull. I never had anything like it.

Oops, sorry, I saw 10 posts, August join date, just assumed you were going through newbie growing pains :blushing:

Also, you can't really do the thumb pad test on a DE blade, that won't tell you anything. DE blades are sharp in a different way than a straightedge is, and the only way to tell if a DE blade is still good is to use it and gauge the feel on your face.

Yesterday, I went for my 2nd shave on the Murker blade. And it was horrible,pulling not cutting dull as hell, but the 1st shave was on it was fantastic. I swapped out the blade for a new feather and things were fantastic again. Is it common that a blade will degrade that quickly, I know it was a few days since i used it last (I was sick and was not up to shaving for a few days). Or was it just a bad blade?

-Jeremy

I had the same experience. I got brave and decided to try the freebee Merkur blade that came with my 12C. I coaxed a BBS shave out of it the first time. The second time I couldn’t finish the shave with it. :thumbdown

Also, you can't really do the thumb pad test on a DE blade, that won't tell you anything. DE blades are sharp in a different way than a straightedge is, and the only way to tell if a DE blade is still good is to use it and gauge the feel on your face.

The thumb test may be a bit misleading......I did figure out that it did not give the same type of responce as with a straight, but.....I also did a shallow "cut" on the thumb to see. And it did not even cut/leave the trace line like it should have.

I am kinda right now chalking it up to a really bad blade. And will eventually try the Merkur blades I have again after awhile. I normally would have just reached for a fresh blade of the same maker/type. But, with how night and day the blade went from perfectly sharp to dull as rock in 1 use, I was a bit afraid that there was something with maker of the blades and did not want keep going on a crappy maker of blades.

err...why hasn't anyone said but you aren't meant to wipe the blades right? Most of them say that on the back anyway.

err...why hasn't anyone said but you aren't meant to wipe the blades right? Most of them say that on the back anyway.

By wipe I mean...more of a drying the head as to not let water drops stain the metal. Not, running it over the edge of blade. Sorry for the confusion

Same experience here, alas. Just the blades that came with the razors I bought, but each time one good shave, one mediocre, and that's it. Don't understand why, but poor steel or heat treatment rather than sharpening would seem to be plausible issues.

About wiping...we drag these things against our cheeks, right? And some folks hand strop on their palms. So surely no harm from patting dry on a tissue or gently wiping away from the edge? I do that anyway and it hasn't seemed to create any problems. I suspect blade manufacturers are talking about: (fold in a hand towel) + (scrub scrub). That would be a no-no of course.

Correct me if wrong!

- Bill

Top Bottom