What's new

Blade hitting scales

Hey guys, sorry if this topic has been discussed a million times but my case looks pretty severe and I'd like some advice. My blade is hitting the scales in a major way. What can I do to fix this? I've heard of people boiling the scales to make them malleable. Is that a viable option? I have some pictures here. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• 20180924_025921.jpg
    20180924_025921.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 51
  • 20180924_025853.jpg
    20180924_025853.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 49
  • 20180924_030611.jpg
    20180924_030611.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 50
First of all, what material is it?

If it is horn, I think somebody suggested taking them apart and using a warm flattening iron? Or am I wrong here?

Not sure I would boil them.
I assume it hits when the pivot pin is a tight connection?
Dropping them in very hot water for a few minutes then quickly placing them on a flat surface with weight on them should help tremendously.
Be careful with exposed heat or flame around scales in case it is celluloid.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Horn can be bent when softened by heat or steam, but sometimes it springs back when it cools. YMMV. What DOES work on ANY scales is whatever side the scales hit, sand the inner face of that scale toward the point of the scale from the pivot hole. Sand the area on the inner face of the other scale too, but toward the wedge end of the scales from the pivot hole. This steers the razor toward the center. Go a little at a time until you get it. You have to unpin the razor to get to the area that must be sanded. Sanding should go all the way to the hole. A few trial repinnings might be required before you get it right. I like Microfastener size 0 bolts and nuts for this, so they can be easily removed and reapplied as many times as you need. They are also a good source for washers. Final tension after peening should be enough that the razor cannot sway side to side between the scales.

That’s a great question and it hasn’t been asked too recently! Slash said it best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Horn can be bent when softened by heat or steam, but sometimes it springs back when it cools. YMMV. What DOES work on ANY scales is whatever side the scales hit, sand the inner face of that scale toward the point of the scale from the pivot hole. Sand the area on the inner face of the other scale too, but toward the wedge end of the scales from the pivot hole. This steers the razor toward the center. Go a little at a time until you get it. You have to unpin the razor to get to the area that must be sanded. Sanding should go all the way to the hole. A few trial repinnings might be required before you get it right. I like Microfastener size 0 bolts and nuts for this, so they can be easily removed and reapplied as many times as you need. They are also a good source for washers. Final tension after peening should be enough that the razor cannot sway side to side between the scales.

Hey slash, I see the size 0 washers but I'm having trouble finding the size 0 nuts and bolts. Could you help? And does it matter what shape the head is?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Hey slash, I see the size 0 washers but I'm having trouble finding the size 0 nuts and bolts. Could you help? And does it matter what shape the head is?
www.microfasteners.com is your friend. There are two different head sizes, I think, not sure, but I know that there are two different nut sizes.

If you want to use a microfastener bolt for the permanent pin it is quite alright to file the head down round and crowned. You can then simply cut and file the end of the bolt so that it is just a little long, then peen it down. I do prefer nickel-silver rod for permanent pins, though. The brass is kind of soft and can stretch over time.

The scales are warped.

The scales can be flattened, but they'll need to be unpinned to do this right. Steam can work, but those scales will be a royal pita to get correct with that method. Heating them in an oven under a flat weight can work. Low heat, do not use your household oven. Burning horn stinks bad. I think there is a post on B&B about doing this.

There is no real wedge, the scales were cut thicker there to be 'wedge-like'. So you have two fake 1/2 wedges.
You can reshape those fake wedges to be more wedge-like. Or - just sand the nubs off and add a real wedge.

I think the pivot pin is crooked.
I would wait to figure out the pin after all else is done.

MIcro bolts/nuts @ Micro Fasteners

HBB0012 - 0-80 x 3/4 - Hex Head Machine Screws
HNB0080 - 0-80 - Hex Nuts

It's been a while since the OP. It would be interesting to hear from the OP and if he was able to fix the scales.

I've found it to be a 50/50 kind of experience. I would use the oven/weight method as well. Sometimes it works and sometimes, after cool it goes back to the warped shape. If it is a mild probably, sometimes the result is enough not to actually hit the scales even though the problem isn't completely fixed (not centered but not hitting).

If it's not hitting after the heat treatment, I'd consider that good enough.

Top Bottom