What's new

Black palm trial

I was shopping at Rockler and picked up a few interesting turning blanks. Black palm was fairly inexpensive and looked interesting so I bought enough to make about 7 brushes. I also got some cocobolo and tulip wood. Little did I know how hard black palm would be to turn. This is how the first brush handle from black palm turned out after hours of work. I finished with several coats of thick CA and polished with micro mesh all the way to 12000 grit. The finish could still be better but I ran out of time so decided to leave it for later. I haven't decided yet what knot I'm putting on it. The hole is 22mm and drilled about 16mm deep. Silvertip?

Attachments

• $brush1.jpg
    $brush1.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 120
  • $brush2.jpg
    $brush2.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 122
  • $brush3.jpg
    $brush3.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 121
Wow, that looks amazing! Silvertip or Best would look great in it. The shape of the handle compliments the pattern of the wood extremely well, this is an awesome piece!

hig789: I'll let you know when I get to make some more handles. Right now I don't have a lathe to use (used my father-in-law's while visiting) and I think I'll use this handle myself. Does anyone know how big of a difference is between TGN silvertip and silvertip grade A? The price difference is about 10 dollars. I was thinking about trying the "regular" silvertip.

hig789: I'll let you know when I get to make some more handles. Right now I don't have a lathe to use (used my father-in-law's while visiting) and I think I'll use this handle myself. Does anyone know how big of a difference is between TGN silvertip and silvertip grade A? The price difference is about 10 dollars. I was thinking about trying the "regular" silvertip.

They're both nice in my opinion...the grade A is softer and denser, IIRC.

It just depends on what you want.

Top Bottom