What's new

Black handled Tech

I got this black handled Tech. It appears to have a bakelite handle and the head is made of... what? It is the color of copper. I can't imagine a head plated in copper but is there a brass this red in color? What is this metal?

It's not gone. That's why I can see it. The pic must show it more poorly, because it looks like copper.

B

ButtGump

It's not gone. That's why I can see it. The pic must show it more poorly, because it looks like copper.

You misunderstand him. The brass was originally plated with nickel, but the nickel is all gone now. The darkness of the color is due to oxidation. Polish it up and it will brighten in color. The razor's an Army Tech.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I believe it is copper. It was originally plated but the plating is completely gone.

No, He means that the base metal IS copper. It was previously plated with a metal to make it look silver or gold, but that silver or gold plating is gone and what is now left is the base metal - Copper.

I have several in Silver and Gold color, and some of them have a bit of the plating gone, and the exact same copper base metal shows through.

On these that have some plating missing, I am going to go ahead and remove the rest of it so that mine look like yours. The copper shines very nicely and is a good match with the Plastic Handle.

Last edited:
This doesn't look like the plating is gone. On the underside the color is even, all over actually. It looks to be plated in, well, copper. I, too, have brass, gold and nickel and none have the plate worn off so evenly. But what a funny thing to plate with. Copper is soft. I assumed, but glad for the confirmation, that it was military issue. I just used it and it gave a fine Tech shave.

The copper heads with all of the plating gone will polish up very nicely and look great! It's one of my favorite looks in a razor. :cool:

That solid copper head with baklite handle really "shines". I like that one. Now I need to keep my eyes peeled for a military tech....

Is the copper head lurking under most other Tech models or just this particular model?

I have a similar vintage fat handle tech that is nickel plated. The original owner was a "sink tapper." The edges definitely show copper underneath.

Perhaps the razor shown in the original post was actually painted black? It probably would have been much easier for someone to strip off paint cleanly versus nickel?

My GI Tech is plated.

I sure wish they could talk. Maybe the Sands of Iwo Jima scoured off the plating on that one....:wink:

My GI Tech is plated.

I sure wish they could talk. Maybe the Sands of Iwo Jima scoured off the plating on that one....:wink:

Is it like this one, only in nickel? That's just like my handle.

Last edited:
Top Bottom