What's new

Bit the bullet and ordered a Asylum Evolution DE Razor

It's something I will need to read the reviews on before thinking about buying.

Also, unless I sell enough stuff from my shave den to offset the cost, I'll be asking the wife too. We don't spend more than $100 besides regular expenses without discussing it. It just makes good sense. No big deal.

I shaved with my Evolution last night with a new Kai blade and Mike's Natural Soap/coconut. I could tell this razor had some aggressiveness to it which made me very mindful of how fast my strokes were (I have only been wet shaving for about 5 months or so). I did (2) with the grain passes and a final clean up pass on the spots around my lower lip and jaw line (always require touchup in these areas). I am a daily shaver due to work although last night was just for fun being that I am off on weekends. After 2 WTG passes plus the clean up pass, I had a very nice BBS shave. In fact, if I actually had to work today, I could have skipped shaving this morning.

This is a great razor both in form and function. Definitely a keeper.

I saw it and I just can't justify that kind of money for razor even in perfect condition.

I'd love to shave with a Darwin razor one time just so that I can say that I've tried it, but I don't want to pay that kind of money to own one. I guess it'll have to be the one that got away for me. The Evolution looks great, I can't wait to read your review once you give it a try.

Ask him.

He was looking for a Barbasol razor a month or two ago but he didn't mention why. Maybe he's going to make one of those too?

I think it's unfair to speculate though.

Phil probably has looked at lots of things, but what is actually going to be made is probably something only he would know best.

I hope he considers a run of milder razors though. The Rx is what it is and the aggressiveness can be varied somewhat by blade choice. The Evolution might be more aggressive than I like and will probably mean I will not be trying one.

I wonder where the percentages of the total market fall overall with preferences for say the Feather AS D2 versus a Muhle R41. If prices were the same and everyone had to pick one or the other. Is it 50 - 50? If not what is preferred by the masses? Seems like the aggressive razor fans are more vocal, or get heard the most at least. There are plenty of other fans of tamer razors to justify a run I hope.

Not sure if you have access to the Asylum Shave Works FB page, but if you do there was a short mention of his next project and there he mentioned it was going to be a clone of the Krect Spiral Curve (the one with the non tilting head that is about as thin as a Tech). Yes, definitely stainless and yes, unless the Evolution reviews say that it is the best shaver in the world, I will probably hold out.

I shaved with my Evolution last night with a new Kai blade and Mike's Natural Soap/coconut. I could tell this razor had some aggressiveness to it which made me very mindful of how fast my strokes were (I have only been wet shaving for about 5 months or so). I did (2) with the grain passes and a final clean up pass on the spots around my lower lip and jaw line (always require touchup in these areas). I am a daily shaver due to work although last night was just for fun being that I am off on weekends. After 2 WTG passes plus the clean up pass, I had a very nice BBS shave. In fact, if I actually had to work today, I could have skipped shaving this morning.

This is a great razor both in form and function. Definitely a keeper.
Thank you for sharing, now I'm even more excited for the arrival of mine!

Not sure if you have access to the Asylum Shave Works FB page, but if you do there was a short mention of his next project and there he mentioned it was going to be a clone of the Krect Spiral Curve (the one with the non tilting head that is about as thin as a Tech). Yes, definitely stainless and yes, unless the Evolution reviews say that it is the best shaver in the world, I will probably hold out.
Cool, I'll have to check that out as well!

You are welcome. I am still trying to learn technical terms and still working on razor technique but the Evolution is a great razor. I am sure someone with much more experience than I will love it even more.

Ask him.

H

I hope he considers a run of milder razors though. The Rx is what it is and the aggressiveness can be varied somewhat by blade choice. The Evolution might be more aggressive than I like and will probably mean I will not be trying one.

I wonder where the percentages of the total market fall overall with preferences for say the Feather AS D2 versus a Muhle R41. If prices were the same and everyone had to pick one or the other. Is it 50 - 50? If not what is preferred by the masses? Seems like the aggressive razor fans are more vocal, or get heard the most at least. There are plenty of other fans of tamer razors to justify a run I hope.

I personally don't find the RX aggressive at all. If you use a VERY steep angle, I find it kind of mild actually.YMMV

It's not that it's aggressive.

It's not as smooth and intuitive as the Cobra Classic and King Cobra. The angle for best comfort for me seems pretty awkward.

There's a reason so many of them were being sold so quickly after they came out and weren't available new anymore.

At the end of the day people aren't bidding these up on eBay like other limited edition shaving gear.

A SE razor is what it is and I get it. I enjoy using them when I have time to enjoy it.

The blasted finish of the Rx is nice.

My ATT SE1, King Cobra, and El Jefe get used more often though.

It's like the Blackhawk and Feather AS D2 to me. The people who take the time to learn the quirks of some razors love them. Other people don't have time for it. I haven't given up on the Rx. I just don't really have the time to devote to it most days.

Oh. I see.

Hahahaha.

I don't do and never will do Facebook.

Krect is cool!

I look forward to seeing more about it then. Hopefully in the wild soon.

It's not that it's aggressive.

It's not as smooth and intuitive as the Cobra Classic and King Cobra. The angle for best comfort for me seems pretty awkward.

There's a reason so many of them were being sold so quickly after they came out and weren't available new anymore.

At the end of the day people aren't bidding these up on eBay like other limited edition shaving gear.

A SE razor is what it is and I get it. I enjoy using them when I have time to enjoy it.

The blasted finish of the Rx is nice.

My ATT SE1, King Cobra, and El Jefe get used more often though.

It's like the Blackhawk and Feather AS D2 to me. The people who take the time to learn the quirks of some razors love them. Other people don't have time for it. I haven't given up on the Rx. I just don't really have the time to devote to it most days.

I understand. This is exactly why we say YMMV because I have used the cobra, King Cobra, SE1 and SE2 and every other modern
SE razor made, along with a host of vintage SE's.I sold all of them,including the cobra's because I found better razors for myself. Having just obtained the RX this week, I have to say paired with the feather -pro it is the longest-lasting BBS shave I have ever gotten.

I shaved with the Asylum Evolution this afternoon, using the supplied Astra Superior Platinum blade.

Made of 303 stainless steel the razor handle is 78mm in length; its overall length is 85mm; and its weigh is 77g.
It is a small razor, about the size of a Gillette Super Speed, but it does have a nice weight. Its balance point is between the first and second groove of the handle.

There is no awkwardness to the Darwin-inspired handle. It fits comfortably in my grip with my little finger supporting the rounded base. The handle edge above the first groove is pointed and a bit sharp if you hold it wrong. It's not sharp enough to break the skin but it is a bit uncomfortable.

The handle tightens securely, the shaft going completely through the top cap, and holds the aligned blade snugly.

I would prefer to have more groves on the bar guard but that was no real problem for me. During the first pass there was build up in the lather slots which took a bit of water to clear. I attribute that to the thickness of my lather. On subsequent passes I added a little more water to the brush tips and no more build up.

There was little blade feel but audible feedback was evident. The Evolution was very comfortable during the shave and easily maneuverable.

After the first pass I could tell I was going to get a very good, close shave. With minimal cleanup and no weepers or irritation I had one of my most effortless BBS shaves.

I didn't find the Evolution to be aggressive at all but do think it is quite efficient. I will be using different blades in the razor, including a Feather and Kai; that might change my mind about its aggressiveness.

To me the Asylum Evolution is an excellent razor. I'm very happy to have one and plan to use it often.

2017-02-19-19-20-28.jpg 2017-02-19-19-21-08.jpg 2017-02-19-19-17-43.jpg 2017-02-19-19-18-15.jpg

Very good review. I better get my credit car and put it in a tub of water and stick it in my freezer before I do something stupid like seeing when the next shipment of Evolutions come in.

Top Bottom