What's new

Bit by my own Kinfolks!

Can anyone see anything with the geometry of this razor that would impart a ferocity, indeed a viciousness, previously exhibited only by my birth year Injector? It nailed me on consecutive strokes whilst making its maiden post-restoration shave tonight. We're talking fillet city, push the flap of skin back into the oozing hole kind of nailed!

It certainly could be technique related, but one after the other? I'm thinking I was wide awake and careful for the second one. The blade is clearly not dead straight, but could that have caused such mayhem?

Looks fine to me. A curved edge won’t do any harm on its own, but was it the tip that got ya? Any cracks in the steel?

No cracks. The blade looks good and honed up nicely. Better, in fact, than the Bengall that was also restored. (And who finished the job very nicely after the BS Special was benched.) I was kind of wondering about the point, as well. Hard to believe a blade with moderately little hone wear has a hook like that. Sadly, I need the point for "edging". Perhaps someday I will, very carefully, try it again. Or maybe not!

Okay, so I checked that again and while rounded, that blade is sharp right to the very corner of the point. Not for long! If I blunt that, just maybe it will get another shot.

Which part of the blade cut you and where on your face?

Typically it’s a lapse in concentration, or change in pressure that make me do things like that. Other options could be starting your stroke on hair (not clear skin) causing the razor to dig in when you start your stroke. Similarly with loose/un-stretched skin, if it gives slightly the razor can dig in.

I will gladly take that troublesome razor of your hands, PM me and I will send you shipping details.

Last edited:
Which part of the blade cut you and where on your face?

Decidedly unflattering, but as they say, worth a thousand words!

20200113_070954.jpg

I will gladly take that troublesome razor of your hands, PM me and I will send you shipping details.

Thank you for the kind offer, but I could not live with myself if it were to attack with me knowing its history! It did clean up and reblue rather nicely, though.

20200113_082825.jpg

Its hard to see without being able to magnify but while the toe of the razor is rounded there is still a sharp transition where the bevel terminates. Fine sandpaper will soften that without changing it visibly.

I think part of it has to do with shaving style too. I find I use the back 2/3 of the blade more than the point. I only really use the point to line up certain areas and my inner nostrils and upper lip XTG.

Some are more point forward in their style. You can’t lay the whole blade flat on your face so some have an inherent bias towards what end get the most work.

My dad used spike and hone points his whole life and never got a scratch. I was 16 when I first tried a spike point and still got the tiny scar from it. I watched him shaving a lot and just picked up on that he did most of the work on the heel end of the blade and the point rarely rested on his face. When it did you noticed a change in his stroke and attention.

Hope that makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
1-7-19.Kinfolks#1.Kit.MdC.CopMan.640.JPG1-13-20.Kin#2.Kit.DB.MS30.640.JPG

You'll notice right away I'm willing to adopt this model, even knowing how dangerous they can be usually are.

It bothers me to think you might be once again attacked by the monster in your den. How lucky you are to have my disposal service available to you at absolutely no charge to you because you're a B&B member in good standing. The obvious hole in my hat trick needs to be repaired, and your terrible razor would do that trick, a risk I'm willing to assume, but mostly I want what you want which is no more blood as you shave.

Protect your skin now! Throw the bum out!

Happy shaves regardless, you danger seeker,

Jim

You'll notice right away I'm willing to adopt this model, even knowing how dangerous they can be usually are.

Such a helpful bunch around here! Jim, as much as I appreciate the offer, I'm afraid I'll have to come up with alternative disposal arrangements. You see, that looks like a nice couple of blades in your possession. But without knowing them personally, I would not be willing to take the risk that they might be radicalized by this outwardly charming, but downright villainous monstrosity in my midst!

Thanks to everyone for their valuable inputs. That point will be gently rounded and given a (decidedly wary) shot at redemption!

Here's the beggar through a loupe:

20200113_183556.jpg

Such a helpful bunch around here! Jim, as much as I appreciate the offer, I'm afraid I'll have to come up with alternative disposal arrangements. You see, that looks like a nice couple of blades in your possession. But without knowing them personally, I would not be willing to take the risk that they might be radicalized by this outwardly charming, but downright villainous monstrosity in my midst!

Thanks to everyone for their valuable inputs. That point will be gently rounded and given a (decidedly wary) shot at redemption!

Here's the beggar through a loupe:

View attachment 1052434

Yep that'll do it. That's what I thought I saw.
Sweeping motions and that transition are a recipe for blood.

Good shaves ahead!

I hope it doesn't bite you anymore. I tried to help

That you did, kind Sir. That you did. Please don't think for a moment that I'm not genuinely humbled by your willingness to risk great personal pain for the sake of my continued well-being. I simply could not live with myself if harm were to come to you as a result of my selfishness!

Yep that'll do it. That's what I thought I saw.
Sweeping motions and that transition are a recipe for blood.

Thank you very much for your help!

Jon

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Usually razors that do that are not sharp enough.

A not-so-sharp razor is prone to hang, and all our lives we learned ‘if the blade isn’t cutting well, push harder’. That works with everything but straight razors.

Lather that isn’t slick enough or soaps whose lather gets a little stick when it dries can contribute to the hanging.

Too high an angle makes its easy for any other problem to result in a cut.

Not getting a good stretch makes cuts more likely.

If the razor is sufficiently sharp, then it’s most likely technique causing the problem.

Usually razors that do that are not sharp enough.

A not-so-sharp razor is prone to hang, and all our lives we learned ‘if the blade isn’t cutting well, push harder’. That works with everything but straight razors.

Lather that isn’t slick enough or soaps whose lather gets a little stick when it dries can contribute to the hanging.

Too high an angle makes its easy for any other problem to result in a cut.

Not getting a good stretch makes cuts more likely.

If the razor is sufficiently sharp, then it’s most likely technique causing the problem.

Steve, thank you very much for your well-respected input. I'll be the first to admit that I am pretty unskilled at this. Still, I've learned most of the points that you brought up bloody well! Usually for me, sharpness is evaluated when I make the stroke down to the funky goatee. My hair is thickest there and any sharpening shortcomings are made abundantly clear. I learned exactly what you mean. The blade encounters resistance and doesn't immediately stop, rather slides (slices!) one way or the other. Admittedly, I bailed well before that point! Also, it's no doubt that my stretching is lacking.

The catch is that I honed all but 2 of the twenty some razors my RAD has sent my way and this is the first to have been so bloodthirsty. Honing of this one went well and it passed the sharpness tests as well as any I have done. I used Shapton 4K, 8K, 1 micron film then stropped on 1u and .25u diamond spray. If tempering that point doesn't help, however, I will have no choice but to declare it a result of technique!

Thanks again,

Jon

Top Bottom