What's new

Birthday pen

Last year I got my older daughter a fountain pen, a Pelikano, and some Noodler's Gruene Cactus. She's loved writing with it, although she doesn't use it very much any more. One problem is that the Pelikano doesn't like to write consistently. It's really frustrating. I've tried a bunch of different inks in it, and the Gruene Cactus works the best, and that's not saying much. Any ideas? Tines seem okay, although I don't have a loupe to examine them that closely. I've cleaned the pen like crazy.

On to the good news, my younger daughter has been using my pens on and off for a while (she favors the Hero 1000), and so she's been asking for a fountain pen for her birthday. She prefers purple/pink, so I got her a Pilot Plumix in purple and some Diamine Claret. Hopefully this will prove to be a more dependable writer than the Pelikano!

Now to get SWMBO converted...

I had a Pelikano Jr. that had reliable flow and I think the brand is considered reliable. I've only used 4 inks so have no advice on those. I would hate to see her discouraged because I think learning to use a FP can help kids develop proper technique before bad habits are learned.

I didn't want to spend a large sum on a passing fancy, but now that she has shown a sustained interest I may go ahead with a nicer pen for her.

So, I gave my daughter her pen on her birthday -- she had seen the box when it arrived from Goulet and she guessed what I had gotten her. (smart cookie, she is)

She loves the pen and ink! It's a very girly combo, and she adores the brightness of the Diamine Claret. She has taken her pen to school with her a few times just to show off, but she mainly just uses it to doodle, write in her "journal" (she's 8), and write notes when playing teacher.

The pen is actually a lot nicer to write with than the Pelikano I got my older daughter a couple of years ago (for her 8th). So now I should probably upgrade her pen...maybe a Lamy Safari. Are there any entry-level pens that use the international (Schmidt) converter other than the Pelikano?

$_DSC2297.jpg

The pen is actually a lot nicer to write with than the Pelikano I got my older daughter a couple of years ago (for her 8th). So now I should probably upgrade her pen...maybe a Lamy Safari. Are there any entry-level pens that use the international (Schmidt) converter other than the Pelikano?
I love my Faber-Castell. and my wife uses her's everyday at work....
Just sayin'

Top Bottom