What's new

Birth Razors

I'd like this thread to hopefully become an intellectual discussion of birth razors all around. I find it fascinating the lengths members go through to get them and why.

Like many of you I'm in the process of trying to get a birth razor. Unfortunately, I'm not a RAD sufferer and only have one DE: an L2 SS, that I use regularly that already has sentimental value because it came from my uncle. If I end up with my birth razor it will be used as a spare or as my travel razor or a gift to my dad if he will use it I'm hoping the latter because giving it to him and seeing him use it would mean a lot more to me than just knowing I owned a razor manufactured when I was born. I'm sure my uncle must feel the same way about the razor he gave me to use, rather than just see it sit in a drawer.

As a SchickHead, I use injectors exclusively. I was fortunate enough to find a mint, unused Type G1 from my birth year. I was proud to be the first to use it. It's my favorite...it's as old as I am, and functioning as well if not better than I...:001_smile

Well when you're a baby like me born in 89' I believe I would have a lot of trouble finding a birth year DE :001_smile. My advice get what you want and shave on.

My first vintage razor was a Super Speed. I knew nothing of birth razors when I bought it and it turned out to be a 1961, which was the correct year. I've since bought a 1961 Fatboy and am always on the lookout for G codes.

I got a case of RAD and found myself a birth year razor. It is cool to use a tool as old as I am. I got a 74 SS and can't say that I have fallen in love with it. It works but just doesn't feel right in my hand. Clearly it should be my perfect razor because of the date.

I bought a birth year and quarter black handle SS but I ended up PIFing it. It was too light, too mild and I never got a good shave with it. It was cool to have a razor as old as I was but after a few shaves the bloom came off the rose.

I understand why people want them but I would rather have something that works for me. That being said, given the choice between a birth year and non-birth year SA, I'd take the birth year one.

Last edited:
I picked up a 74 black handle SS birth razor. It shaves nice enough, but since i've started using a 61 slim, i haven't used it. I'm still getting my technique down, but the slim is working better. I'll come back to my SS once i have technique down and it will be used from time to time.

In my case I wanted a Fatboy and happened upon a birth year/quarter in great shape at a great price.
Now the one I use daily. Still want to pick up an old Tech eventually but in no rush.

I found / have my birth razor. It's a 1979 Gillette SS with the Z-1 stamp. It's in fantastic shape, but I'm not a fan of the shaves I get out of it. Granted I was only using once a year on my birthday. Now I just have it for the sake of having it.

I have a 1972 super adjustable black beauty - my birth year and I love it.

Actually I have two - one short and one long handle but I lent the long handle to a mate, I think I'm in the minority preferring the short handle.

I'd like this thread to hopefully become an intellectual discussion of birth razors all around. I find it fascinating the lengths members go through to get them and why....
Well, I'm not sure I know how to have an intellectual discussion about an emotionally driven topic :lol: My birth year/quarter is Z2 (1954), and I just picked up this 1954 President complete in case and in fairly good condition. Postman says it'll be delivered tomorrow. Woot!

Yes, I paid a bit of a premium because it was my BYR, but likely not much more than a tub of good shaving soap, so in the overall scheme of things, I'm ok with that. I have a Z2 Flare Tip, and a Z3 Diplomat (haven't yet seen a Z2 go by), but I'm still searching for the Z2 Super Speed. You'd think the most prolific of the group would be the easiest to find, but I'm becoming convinced that there were actually very, very few SS's produced in Q2.

Why search for them? I knew that I would be buying those particular models over time anyway, so as long as they were going to be in my den, they might as well have just that wee little bit of added significance, bragging rights, cool factor, je ne sais quoi, etc!

My first vintage razor was a Super Speed. I knew nothing of birth razors when I bought it and it turned out to be a 1961, which was the correct year. I've since bought a 1961 Fatboy and am always on the lookout for G codes.

So, it's you!!! :laugh:

OP, I still haven't been attracted by this "AD", but I suppose it's about the cool factor, an added value as some others have said.

I lucked up and got a C-3 Super Speed which is my birth year and quarter, it is a great shaver; but my daily driver is an "Early" (pre-war) Fat Handle Tech and it's twin (which has a case) is my travel razor.

Top Bottom