What's new

Bic Chrome - Did you ever get a dud?

Recently, I tried BiCs when I was looking for an alternative to Feathers and Russian made blades.
BiCs work quite well for me, not as good as Feathers, but close enough.

In my view, they start off at a slightly lower level than Feathers, but degrade at a lower rate, so that there is a crossover point after a number of shaves (maybe 5-6) when the BiCs start working better than Feathers at a comparable number of shaves.
I take great care of my pre-shave routine, so I can squeeze easily a week out of Feathers and probably 2-3 more days out of BiCs, but being a creature of habit, I tend to replace blades the same day every week anyway.

I do not share one member’s opinion about titanium razors, after my Mühle R41 that I had used for years and a short Rocca interlude my last razor purchases where steel Tataras (Nodachi and Adjustable) followed by the Titanium Nodachi that I currently use. I appreciate the feather-like precision that this razor offers, compared to steel razors it feels to me like comparing a surgical scalpel against a Bowie knife.

I have never come across any BiC duds, am a bit sceptical about the “fake” BiC theory, but - for what it is worth - I bought my BiCs from a well-known vendor in Spain.

B.

I also don't believe the fake BIC theory.
There are many razors the BIC doesn't work well in, and feel horrible, tuggy and uncomfortable. But in other razors, heavenly!

Definitely a picky blade but no way fake.

If you want sharp and smooth, consider a Nacet or a Personna Platinum Chrome in my opinion. BIC Chrome have never worked out for me where Nacet and PPCs work in all of my razors.

I love BICs but I’ve had some weird experiences with it.

BIC and EJ89, butter heaven. I can do 10 passes ATG and my face is 100% irritation free.

BIC and progress, also nice, not heavenly, but nice.

BIC and GC84, raw skin, some tugging, seemed it wasn’t cutting despite being loud.

BIC and Tech, weird as well, not as terrible as the GC, but strange. Isn’t a sharp blade and mild razor supposed to be perfect combo?

I know, but it wasn’t. Tech and Gillette platinum, a lot better.

Sometimes it seems too sharp can have the opposite effect regarding effectiveness/comfort.

Just a thought.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Now that I have more razors I'm going to experiment with the Bic Chrome Platinum and see what I come up with.

I don't think I've tried them in my 1946 Gillette Ranger or my 1964 Gillette Super Speed. I'm also curious how they would do in my Era OC/L4.

They have been wonderful in my King C. Gillette and my Heritage.

Top Bottom