What's new

Bethlehem Olivewood Handled Shaving Brush

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121156076209?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I picked up a couple of these handles on ebay and thought that if you saw the same ad and were curious you might like to read my observations. I haven't glued the brushes to the handles yet, but put them in to show you how they look. One's a finest badger knot, and the other is a boar knot.

$Olivewood2.jpg

First observation is that they're beautiful, and unique as advertised.

Second observation is that they said the inner diameter is 25-26 mm and that is not true.

The inner diameter was too small for these 24 mm knots and I had to get out my drill, buy some sanding equipment, and drill the inner bore between 1/16" and 1/8". I spent all evening on this. I don't know how to waterproof the part I drilled, but honestly it doesn't look any different. I'll probably brush some epoxy there.

The wood is of great quality. No chipping, no disfiguration from trying to enlarge the hole. I'm not sure I would go through this much work again because I operate with 10 thumbs when I work with wood, but it looks nice. Just know that you're going to do some after market work on it if you want a brush like this.

Nice work, John. Olive wood is beautiful, and your handles are great specimens. I think you're on the right track on your plan to seal the inside of the ferrules with epoxy. Polyurethane works well, too. The important thing is to make sure you coat all of the interior surfaces to create an effective water barrier.

Those are two very classy brushes.

I'm generally not particularly fond of wood shaving brush handles, but this one has my attention.

In the year 2000, my wife and I enjoyed a tour of the Holy Land, and came home with some olive wood carvings, including a nativity set. I remember that trip fondly, and displaying that nativity set every Christmas season reminds me of it.

An olive wood shaving brush would provide me with much more frequent reminders.

But I already have enough brushes that I'm having trouble rotating through all of them.

I just got one of those handles. Mine is 25mm wide and 20mm deep on the hole. I have not decided on what knot to put in it yet.

I, too, just purchased a figured Olivewood handle from eBay, along with a 24 mm High Mountain White TGN knot. The hole in the handle is nominally 25 mm, but it's a close fit for the 24 mm knot. I don't know which one is off, but if you're looking for a knot, the 24 mm from TGN seems to fit perfectly without modification -- sort of. The hole is set 20 or so mm deep, requiring a little spacer for a reasonable loft. I epoxied in 3 quarters, which fit just right, with marine epoxy in between each quarter. With the knot firmly pressed against the top quarter, the loft measured 49 mm. Here are two different shots of the same brush, freshly epoxied this evening:

$photo (13).JPG$photo (14).JPG

Last edited:
I have one of his handles and pictures don't do this wood justice. It is amazing in person. I stripped off the finish and polished it to 1000 grit and used a wipe on varnish. It's good to know that the 24mm TGN is a perfect fit.

Top Bottom