What's new

Best shavettes?

I'm in Canada.
Their website states 319 U.S or 442 Can.
The only other site to carry them I see is Gadgetflow at 434 U.S - well over 500 Can.

Brand new near custom Koratt 14.2 = 280 Euro or 403 Can
If I want to shave with a straight its a no brainer.

You obviously have one or are trying to justify a purchase;) Either way I'm sure you will like it, it looks very nice!
I don't know of too many that use shavettes exclusively. They normally migrate toward an actual straight razor and use a shavette periodically, if at all.

Enjoy your new razor.
I may be a rarity, but I have used nothing but shavettes since September of 2019. And yes, I own and have tried “actual straight razors.” I happen to think my shavettes shave better than an “actual” straight razor. I own four and rotate them evenly: Feather SS, Feather SR, Kai Kasho woody, and the Mythus that is pictured earlier in the thread (which, for about 20 US bucks, is one of the best shaving razors I’ve ever used; so much so that right now it is away at an artisan’s place for custom scales).

I have never tried the Tedalus. The best shavette I have tried is the Kai Kasho and its clone, the Mythus, although the SR is growing on me.

In Turkey snapped in half DE blades (Perma Sharp and Derby) are very common and cheap. Due to the practical and economical reasons barbers prefers pre-snapped in half DE blades.

Even you snapped half DE blade you have to remove blade edges on both side. This process causes to curve a little the edges of the blade on both side.

So there is no difference whether you use snapped half DE blades or you snap in half a DE blade, end result is a slightly curved side edge when you remove side edges on both side.

The reason of removing side edges is to be able to insert into a deeper poisiton on the shavette to get a milder shave.
Are you saying that it is common practice for Turkish barbers to trim the DE blade before inserting into their Ali Biyikli or Sedef shavette? I have never purchased half sized DE blades, but I had assumed they were cut by a machine such that the blade remained perfectly flat, but that they were fully 1/2 of the DE blade. And that the Sedef shavette was more or less designed to directly accept the 1/2 blade.

Are you saying that it is common practice for Turkish barbers to trim the DE blade before inserting into their Ali Biyikli or Sedef shavette? I have never purchased half sized DE blades, but I had assumed they were cut by a machine such that the blade remained perfectly flat, but that they were fully 1/2 of the DE blade. And that the Sedef shavette was more or less designed to directly accept the 1/2 blade.
@StillShaving I am not sure wheter it is a common practice of Turkish Barbers or not.

Pre snapped in half DE blade is perfectly flat. But you don't want insert a half DE blade directly into the Turkish style shavette. Because your blade will be scary exposed.
Thus, you have to remove side edges of the DE blade as shown on the below photo.

1644691924783.png

For removing you have to bend to the blade edges again and your blade end up with slightly bended edges. Wheter you use a normal DE blade and snap it into half or you use pre-snapped in half DE blades, your blade will be bended slightly.

@StillShaving I am not sure wheter it is a common practice of Turkish Barbers or not.

Pre snapped in half DE blade is perfectly flat. But you don't want insert a half DE blade directly into the Turkish style shavette. Because your blade will be scary exposed.
Thus, you have to remove side edges of the DE blade as shown on the below photo.

View attachment 1408863

For removing you have to bend to the blade edges again and your blade end up with slightly bended edges. Wheter you use a normal DE blade and snap it into half or you use pre-snapped in half DE blades, your blade will be bended slightly.
Thanks for the explanation with a photo to make it all clear.

Tedalus Essence is as close to a straight razor as you can get. It takes either DE or SE blades. Craftsmanship, quality, balance and results are exceptional. The cost is slightly more than a Feather DE with wood handle. I own Feathers and they work but are nowhere near the Essence.

Attachments

• ESSENCE.jpg
    ESSENCE.jpg
    724.2 KB · Views: 42
These are my favorite shavettes. I haven't gotten into the Artist Club models yet. The first two use half-DE blades. I like the corners exposed and the holder only slightly longer than the blade. The corners of DE blades are rounded and will only cut when the shavette is held or moved the wrong way. DE blades don't flex when they are clamped in place properly. They don't stick out far enough.
View attachment 1386243View attachment 1386248View attachment 1386249
That univinlions has caught my eye before. Seeing this post I went looking for a kami version on a famous far-east trading site, found one for 10 quid posted. Looking forward to getting it!

The best? There is no answer since it’s user preference and YMMV depending on many factors.. However I would vote the Turkish razors like SEDEF / Ali Biyikli as the most versatile, hands down. Every hot shave I’ve had at a barber shop, a Turkish razor popped out at some point if not from the start. With a straight shank/tang and uber flat, it is simply natural to index and handle. Many shavettes have different curves in the tang that can sometimes throw one off if their grip changes. Same for switching to another model or brand and rotating.
Another place it shines is in its very thin design, great for under the nose or near the ears. You can also mount the blade close to the tip for more of a square point sr type tip. Just as easily you can mount it with a safety margin at the tip if you’re starting out and weary.
What I really like is the blade versatility. I have run so many styles of blades in Turkish razors. I highly recommend them to someone deciding between shavette and SR. with the same razor someone can try a DE half and get to know the shavette experience, and then load a de-spined Personna hair shaper blade (the 2 1/2”x 1/2 blades with aluminum spine like gem and paint scrapers, not the injector looking ones) and notice the difference in having a much stiffer, thicker and longer blade that’s very close in feel and handling to an actual SR. They can basically test drive both sets of characteristics for under a twenty dollar bill. Even if they don’t go to the cheapest vendors. Those who haven’t tried both and are on the fence, would likely be surprised how different they actually handle and cut even though they seem so similar. this size blade‘s tip WILL STICK THROUGH SCALES WHEN CLOSED, SO USE CAUTION. I invert mine to sharp side loaded and de-spined side out if traveling with this setup, or simply remove it altogether.
I also run injector blades, AC blades and the similar style other Personna ”hair shaper” blades in them, but you must first make a shim from an old one. Decide your exposure and cut the old one to desired height. If not very mechanically handy, simply dedicate that razor (multi sets are still darn cheap anyway) to that blade style and leave the shim in place forever. Some blades temper may chip or shatter, so I put them in a vise with the part to be removed exposed and just Dremel grind away. A file or snips may send pieces flying. Always wear glasses Grinding, or cutting shims, especially DE shims. That tiny sharp edge flying somewhere could really cause issues.
I have also used both the single and double edge weck blades in Turkish razors with zero modification. Just for the sake of it, a de-spined Gem ptfe worked just as well but the inexperienced may want to watch those corners! That one definitely sticks through the scales, all the way across.
As for the half DE blades, you will get an extra mm exposure by leaving the tabs on razor ends, but it makes loading more tricky and if you bend them to snap, the pieces may not be even and their slight curl can interfere with fitment. I prefer to cut. I usually cut at the tabs instead of center line so I have less and bigger pieces. After getting one in my slipper and finding out later, I now am careful where I cut tabs and usually do it over a hard drive magnet to suck them up. I have no issues loading Turkish style and prefer them for many reasons. It’s simply a learning curve. If you don’t have issued with your hands, eyes or coordination (I hope not using a shavette!) then loading isn’t much of an issue once you find an “anticipated slip” safe method and it is broken in a bit. I always hold from UNDER the blade, so I can not slip onto the cutting surface. It also helps to load them from the front at the lower end of the slot, then raise its clearance and push in, then seat it to the bottom when it’s near the desired location. This way it doesn’t drag in the seat and catch. Once broken in this isn’t an issue. You can also speed up break in period by using a thin bladed pocket knife or stiff feeler gauge to loosen up the slit a little with a few swipes. I have read here quite a bit for years but I am really surprised I don’t hear this suggestion for all the folks on the fence (or the edge of the rabbit hole) between trying shavettes or straights. especially since they can closely mimic the differences between sr and shavette even though it’s technically all done with one of the cheapest shavettes available. Considering the cost of SR, strop and touch up method; a Sedef paired with the larger Personna hair shapers is practically nothing. Very small price to pay to know if that longer cutting edge and increased stiffness and thickness is for you or not.
Yeah The scales aren’t rare vintage materials and the tang is stamped tin or SS, but they’re so thin, maneuverable, easy to index, and versatile that they’re just a great place to start, or wind up.
I have gem razors, injectors, DEs, cartridges and SRs oozing out of their containment. yet I reach for a sedef half the time. I have a Jar full on the counter. color indicates the blade loaded. Blue= GSB White = USA Personna, yellow for 7:00 yellow, orange for BCP and duplicate colors have a notch near the tail to tell me it’s not ”that” red yellow etc. Did I mention that they’re also so cheap you can just do that for less than a 100 pack of blades.
Long story no longer- I vote for SEDEF, Ali biyikly any other Turkish razor (identical except for spelling in stamp).

Long story no longer- I vote for SEDEF, Ali biyikly any other Turkish razor (identical except for spelling in stamp).

This is an old thread, but I just want to second the enthusiasm for Sedef / Ali Biyikli razors. I own a few different shavettes now - maybe 15 different types at that last count, from Sedefs at the cheapest end to Feather AC razors at the top.

Sedefs work very well. I recently used mine for the first time for a while after using a Feather SR all month and I was really taken with how well it shaved. Those Turkish fellas know a thing or two - an Ali Biyikli, some Arko, a cheap boar brush. $10 and a bit of skill is all it takes for a shave to rival your favourite $300 dollar jewellery razor and $30 unicorn milk soap.

The only real downside with the Sedefs is that ain't exactly pretty, but once you start shaving with one it doesn't matter. The performance will make it look good!

Top Bottom