What's new

Best reasonably priced modern shaving system?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Accepting nominations! Looking to get away from Gillette due to their price point and get woke mentality. What is the best modern shaving system that will not break the bank?

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I think Gillette is right up there as far as price so if you were using them previously, the world is your oyster.

I would look at Bic and Schick in that order.

Have a look at Rockwell. Adjustables (well, sorta). I have the 6S - stainless steel with 6 plates and doesn't break the bank. They're very smooth shavers.

I'm using the Aldi own brand 3 blade razor. I'm putting the carts onto their 5 blade razor metal handle for better weight, and I'm getting some superb shaves with canned goo. Last me 5 good shaves and 1 rubbish shave. But for the price its worth it.

Schick Xtreme 3s are quite good, as is the Schick Hydro 3. Careful with Schick though, if youre feelings are hurt by Gillette and their, "get woke" marketing, Schick has done the same thing.
Bic Sensitive is quite good too. When I travel, I use that or a similar knockoff. I find that it gives a smooth, comfortable and fairly close shave.

I've got a Trac II handle and bought 50 Wilkinson Sword carts for $20 off the Bay. I don't go through them quickly but they're great for travel and when I'm running late in the morning. I don't know if that counts as modern, but I just looked at eBay and Gillette currently makes a 7 o'clock PII handle for the Trac II carts (probably from India?) and 80 Schick cartridges for it was $25.

Dorco. I prefer the three blade and believe it or not the seven blade. The four, five, and six blade offerings give me mild razor burn. Try a Dorco three. You will like it.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
My choice would be Schick over BIC. I have not met a bad Schick yet. I have not tried Aldi razors yet but I might do this soon.

Best non Gillette cart for me is Harry's, right now my best performing cart is Gillette Sensor Excel, but the Harry's is a close second

I'm fond of the Gillette Guard and I believe it represents a decent value with good overall performance- and I've never really cut myself with one, either. But it's a Gillette product so maybe that would be a dealbreaker. It's good if you don't shave every day and you don't necessarily need a BBS shave.

Bic disposables are also something I would recommend. Despite their cheap price the blades are very good quality and tugging is minimal compared to many DE blades.

Otherwise, I've come to realize that modern electric shavers, at least for me, are better than multiblade cartridges in terms of being the best compromise of comfort and closeness. They can shave close more or less. Many of them can also be used with shave cream or soap. Norelco's are a really good value and can be had for around $50 or so for a wet/dry model - unless you have a crazy thick beard they should work OK.

I second the electric razor as a good close comfortable shave. Anything with a blade will be harder on the skin than something that doesn’t touch the skin. IMO. If your looking for that BBS then scrap away. They also be more environmental friendly. No plastic.

I think Bic cartridges offer the best bang for the buck right now. I'm a huge fan of the Flex5 Hybrid; it shaves very comfortably and each cartridge lasts me about two weeks. The Flex2 also shaves well, but I found it a little too light and harsher feeling that I would like. My wife, on the other hand, loves it and stole mine.

EDIT: I also like the Guard, but I usually save that one for travel. I've had a few less-than-stellar cartridges with that system in recent months, which was what led me to try alternatives (that and a free sample razor never hurts).

I second the electric razor as a good close comfortable shave. Anything with a blade will be harder on the skin than something that doesn’t touch the skin. IMO. If your looking for that BBS then scrap away. They also be more environmental friendly. No plastic.

Here's a breakdown of costs of various shaving methods. Electric shavers come out the cheapest option.

That seems to be confirmed with my experience as well. Personally, I think the electric shaver cost estimates are high, depending on what model you buy, you may be spending only 20-30 dollars on new shaving heads every 3 years. Philips rotary heads don't necessarily wear out over the lifetime of the shaver.

I’m partial to the Schick Super 2 carts from Japan. They are available off the Bay and if you look carefully they can be had for about a buck a cart in 5 packs. They last me at least 30 shaves.

Top Bottom