What's new

Best if the Brits: Dr. Harris, T&H, TOBS and GFT

I have been asking myself about these. Wify travels to London once a year, so the next time I will ask her to procure me one if the scents sold by these.

Of course, tastes are really personal, so to give you an idea, I like old school fragrances (Eau Sauvage, Vetiver de Guerlain, Rochas Moustache 1946, Habit Rouge, Chanel pour Monsieur), I dislike projection and feel uncomfortable if scents linger for more than four hours. I also dislike aquatics, favoring lavender, patchouli, vetiver as well as "green" notes (galbanum and herbs).

Any suggestions?

I see you left off Mitchell’s Wool Fat. I presume it’s the wrong scent?

TOBS Jermyn Street has a pleasant scent that doesn’t linger.

I did not know Mitchell's. Thanks for the info! And thanks for the suggestion.
It’s manufactured in Bradford West Yorkshire. Surely some store in London sells it. It’s scent is a clean soapy scent. Some have compared it to linen fresh off the clothes line.

I have been asking myself about these. Wify travels to London once a year, so the next time I will ask her to procure me one if the scents sold by these.

Of course, tastes are really personal, so to give you an idea, I like old school fragrances (Eau Sauvage, Vetiver de Guerlain, Rochas Moustache 1946, Habit Rouge, Chanel pour Monsieur), I dislike projection and feel uncomfortable if scents linger for more than four hours. I also dislike aquatics, favoring lavender, patchouli, vetiver as well as "green" notes (galbanum and herbs).

Any suggestions?

Welcome to B&B, Sir Matux!
So lucky to have a "wify" who can travel to London!!
TBCH, there are So Many options for you and her to consider!!
IICNAF, what about Floris? Czech & Speake? Castle Forbes? Penhaligons? Malone? Diptyque? Molton Brown?
Also in London, Santa Maria?
She can literally spend days exploring!!
Not to mention, shopping for Herself!
(Which you would certainly enjoy!!)

floris 2014-0202.jpg

These are the ones I have and use frequently perhaps more then some of my artisans lately

Truefitt & Hill 1805
Tobs jermyn street
Tobs Mr Taylors
DR. Harris lavender

I recommend:
- Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet
- Any of the Trumper's special collection (with the fancy bottles)
- Floris No: 89
- Trumper's English Fern
- C&S Oxford & Cambridge

When my mom visited London years ago she brought home a bottle of Trumpers Spanish Leather for me as a gift. I love it and have used judiciously - still have about a third left! It is a great masculine leather scent and it lasts and lasts on me which is awesome. And it is old school. Definitely recommend.

When my mom visited London years ago she brought home a bottle of Trumpers Spanish Leather for me as a gift. I love it and have used judiciously - still have about a third left! It is a great masculine leather scent and it lasts and lasts on me which is awesome. And it is old school. Definitely recommend.
I like Trumper Spanish leather a lot but has to be used lightly. Strong sillage and very long lasting on me.

All great choices. Based on your list of old-school scent favorites I would suggest

DRH Arlington (citrus fern),
DRH Windsor (patchouli vetiver) and,
TOBS Mr. Taylor (old school with patchouli, lavender and musk with a terrific geranium note and a worn leather base — not for everyone but given your list above I think you’ll dig it)

"SWNMBO"

She Whose Nose Must Be Obeyed. Let her go to a few of these old-school houses and pick one out for you that she likes. Or perhaps she can pick up a few samples along the same idea?

That is a good idea, albeit... It is complicate to obey her nose :)

Better make her happy, will ask her for that.

I also really enjoy herbs, vetiver, and lavender and tend to steer clear of aquatics.

Mr. Taylor is a recommendation I can heartily reiterate. A longtime favorite.
Trumper Spanish Leather fits that description, too, and I third the recommendations above.
Perhaps take a look at T&H Grafton, Trumper Wellington, and either Pen's English Fern (can still be found, although it is discontinued) or Trumper's Wild Fern
Also look into the fragrances from Murdock of London.
One final note: J. Peterman 1903 is really good if you favor some of these old-school classics. A deep fougere with some tobacco leaf underneath, it's a really gentlemanly fragrance.

Thank you for your suggestion: J.Peterman's looks tempting. Will give it a try aside from whatever I ask my Wife to bring me from her visit.

Top Bottom