What's new

Best Horseradish for Prime Rib

I've been disappointed by store-bought bottles of horseradish - they either taste too full of preservatives or more like mayo rather than good quality horseradish sauce.

What brands of horseradish sauce do you like? Otherwise, what is your recipe you use? I'm shooting for as close as possible to the stuff they'd put on your plate at an upscale prime rib house.

Thanks,
Matt

edit - "more like mayo"

Last edited:
Buy a horseradish root. Grate it yourself. You'll NEVER go back. If you want to make it into a sauce, mix it with mayo or sour cream.
It is SOOOOO much better than anything prepared.

1/2 cup of Fresh Grated Horseraddish Root or more if you like it with more of a pop
16 OZ Sour Cream
1/2 tsp Fresh cracked black pepper
1 TBS Dijon Mustard
2 TBS Fresh Chopped Chives

Mix it up at least an hour before serving!
Yeuuummmie

Thanks guys, I've made it probably 3 times - one time was dead on but others missed the mark. Iceman, that's a lot of horseradish - exactly how I like it. Will try it. I must have had the ratios wrong.

Thanks guys, I've made it probably 3 times - one time was dead on but others missed the mark. Iceman, that's a lot of horseradish - exactly how I like it. Will try it. I must have had the ratios wrong.

I make it every year for Christmas Eve Dinner to go along with the Standing Rib Roast!

Off topic but Man I miss summers in Smithville.

I agree fresh grated with sour cream is the best.

Grating fresh horseradish is the ticket for sure.
But since that comes around for me every blue moon or less I go with Tosca brand.
I don't think it's anything special, but it is a cut above the others i've tried.
I love the horseradish. It goes on anything IMO. Just like Mustard.

This thread suddenly made me laugh, every year in my parents household a majestic prime rib of beef is served for Christmas dinner. Every year my mother sends my father to the store a few days before the event to purchase Horseradish for the sauce to accompany the beef. Every year my father brings home a miniscule jar of Creamed Horseradish...The wrong stuff, Wrath ensues, I laugh at my father's folly. After 43 years of marriage, he can't seem to comprehend the difference between prepared Horseradish (the right stuff) and creamed Horseradish. I end up making an emergency run to the store to fix the problem. Going to buy a Costco sized jar soon to avoid any fireworks, and holiday drama. Strangely, have never grated fresh, but of the bottled varieties, Silver Spring is good, as well as Bookbinder's.

The recipie is basically, 4-6oz prepared Horseradish, or to taste, 8oz. Sour cream, 2T Mayo, 2-3T. fresh chopped parsely, Pinch of Kosher salt, and Fresh ground black pepper to taste.

I don't want to steal any family recipes (yes I do)

I absolutely love prime rib and if someone has some good recipes on how I can cook on at home I'd be eternally grateful.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
This thread suddenly made me laugh, every year in my parents household a majestic prime rib of beef is served for Christmas dinner. Every year my mother sends my father to the store a few days before the event to purchase Horseradish for the sauce to accompany the beef. Every year my father brings home a miniscule jar of Creamed Horseradish...The wrong stuff, Wrath ensues, I laugh at my father's folly. After 43 years of marriage, he can't seem to comprehend the difference between prepared Horseradish (the right stuff) and creamed Horseradish. I end up making an emergency run to the store to fix the problem. Going to buy a Costco sized jar soon to avoid any fireworks, and holiday drama. Strangely, have never grated fresh, but of the bottled varieties, Silver Spring is good, as well as Bookbinder's.

The recipie is basically, 4-6oz prepared Horseradish, or to taste, 8oz. Sour cream, 2T Mayo, 2-3T. fresh chopped parsely, Pinch of Kosher salt, and Fresh ground black pepper to taste.
Your father knows- he is doing it so he doesn't get asked to do it again. When I was dishes, water (purposely) gets all over the place. Then for three months or so, I am banned from dish washing. Rinse and repeat.

The finer you grind horseradish, the hotter it gets! A bite of unprocessed root is mild in comparison.

Top Bottom