What's new

Best Dremel for under $100?

What is the best Dremel for under $100? I'll be using it to sand and polish plastic and metal (restoring brushes/possibly straight razors)?

I have the 3000 and paid well under $100 for it. If you plan on restoring razors and don't have a drill press I would use the money you save and buy the drill press attachment. It is well worth it because it can hold the Dremel straight up and down to drill or out to the side for hands free sanding use. I also have the Stylus attachment and it is very handy when polishing because it is much smaller diameter. You can do almost anything you want with a Dremel and its various attachments if you take your time and learn how to use it properly.

If you're working at a bench, you might consider bypassing a Dremel entirely and going straight to a flex shaft tool, which is what jewelers and watchmakers use. I bought one several years ago for my bench and hardly ever use my Dremel anymore. Foredom is the industry standard and can run a few hundred bucks or more. If I were in the market for a flex shaft today I'd probably take a look at the Grobet:

http://www.ottofrei.com/store/product.php?productid=13294

These also pop up on eBay occasionally.

IMO, the flex shaft tool has more torque and is a lot easier to control than the Dremel. But, as Matt points out, you can get a decent Dremel for far less, and spend the difference on other tools.

If you're working at a bench, you might consider bypassing a Dremel entirely and going straight to a flex shaft tool, which is what jewelers and watchmakers use. I bought one several years ago for my bench and hardly ever use my Dremel anymore. Foredom is the industry standard and can run a few hundred bucks or more. If I were in the market for a flex shaft today I'd probably take a look at the Grobet:

http://www.ottofrei.com/store/product.php?productid=13294

These also pop up on eBay occasionally.

IMO, the flex shaft tool has more torque and is a lot easier to control than the Dremel. But, as Matt points out, you can get a decent Dremel for far less, and spend the difference on other tools.

This is also a very good idea. I have also looked at them and love the variable speed foot peddles with these.

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately I don't work at a bench.

What is the difference between the 3000 and 4000?

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately I don't work at a bench.

What is the difference between the 3000 and 4000?

Not sure. Here they are.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_364627-353-3000-2-28_0__?catalogId=10051&productId=3531482&UserSearch=dremel+3000&Ntt=dremel+3000&N=0&langId=-1&storeId=10151&rpp=24

http://www.lowes.com/pd_116767-353-...remel+4000&N=0&langId=-1&storeId=10151&rpp=24

After seeing both and looking at mine I have the 4000 and I have never used the attachments that came with it. I would say get what you can afford by buying the tool and the Stylus attachment. If you are going to be polishing blades with it, it will be much easier to control then the big ole Dremel.

Last edited:
the 4000 has a stronger motor than the 3000 and i use it all the time on brush handles. i've had it for 3mo with no complaints

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I use a $19.99 knockoff from Harbor Freight. It is a little bit bigger and bulkier than the handheld dremels but it is waaaay strong. It is variable speed but not continuously variable... 5 settings. I have had it for 3 or 4 years, used it frequently and heavily, and it is still going strong. If I ever upgrade I will probably go with an inexpensive flex tool.

They have a very small one for $12.99 but give it a miss. I tried it. Not powerful enough by half for most razor work, though I suppose it would be okay for polishing.

There are many different kinds. Dremel is not the only good one out there. There's the harbor frieght ones, craftsman, the one I am most interested in is Proxxon, I beleive these are equivalent to the pro grade dremels. I have heard many good things about them here and on other forums. Let us know what you decide to go with. Good luck.

Mine is pretty old, but I have the Dremel model 395 Multi Pro. It is 1.15 amps, and has a variable sliding speed switch from 5,000 to 30,000 rpm.

-I would never consider one that does not have fine adjustment for the rpm.

-I would get the quick change collet also. Makes changing bits easy.

But what do I know, they are probably all quick change now. I've had mine for probably 13 years.

Last edited:
Mine is pretty old, but I have the Dremel model 395 Multi Pro. It is 1.15 amps, and has a variable sliding speed switch from 5,000 to 30,000 rpm.

-I would never consider one that does not have fine adjustment for the rpm.

-I would get the quick change collet also. Makes changing bits easy.

But what do I know, they are probably all quick change now. I've had mine for probably 13 years.

Thanks. I don't think the new ones are quick change. Dremel sells a "multipro keyless chuck" to quickly change accessories for $5.

Top Bottom