What's new

Best ATG Razor?

for me the one I like WTG and XTG is the one I like ATG
and all of the razors I have had were good or bad overall and not good just ATG

I just have a timeless but love Wolfman and had two and plan on another one
for a budget option the .84 Game-Changer

I’m with those that prefer razors that clamp the blade very well near the cutting edge for ATG shaving. The most troublesome places are where I have thick whiskers that lay flat against the skin. Favorite razors:

1. Timeless .68 or .95
2. Lambda Athena
3. Fatip Piccolo

I haven’t tried an Overlander but it gets a lot of mentions for being very smooth.

My top 3 the moment for my face and beard (in order):

1) Blackland Osprey Ti
2) Blackland Osprey SS
3) Timeless .68 Ti

I have sensitive skin and mostly lean towards a milder shaving experience; especially AGT.

I don't have a ton of data points, only tried about 6 DEs so far, but the New Short Comb is leading the pack.

I only use a DE for an ATG cleanup pass below the jawline, so I like a razor that can do ATG effectively without a lot of drama on already-shaved and irritation-prone skin.

I think adjustables excel here. You can use a wider gap with your WTG and XTG passes, then tighten it up with a smaller gap for ATG. This has been very successful for me.

I also have found ATG success with more aggressive razors (Henson +++, for example) that get really close on the WTG/XTG passes, so there's very little to remove once ATG rolls around. This allows for a very gentle ATG pass for an easy DFS+ or BBS-. It's super easy for the shave to go South here though, lots of risk.

I've used dozens of DE's over time, and the Overlander is the only one that's never nicked me going ATG. I attribute that mostly to its geometry and clamping, and maybe a bit of improvement in technique. The aluminum glides smoothly and is efficient enough for BBS results. I'm a two-pass shaver: while the first pass is average, the follow-up is as good as can be.

I can shave ATG with any razor, straight, or shavette for a close shave. The word ‘best’ is so subjective. My best DE razors for this include the Lamda Athena, Blackland Osprey, HLS Taiga. My best single edge razor for ATG is my Oneblade with Gem blade followed by the Highproof because they both pivot and the Gem blade is thick.

I'm with @spacemonkey42; some razors definitely perform better than others ATG. My experience is that geometry (low exposure with reasonable gap) and, especially, rigid clamping are key. My personal champ for ATG performance is the Henson AL13; I prefer the medium. I also find the Timeless SB .68 to be excellent on my face. And yes, I use all of my razors ATG, and these two stand out as especially good in that application.

Top Bottom